- Volume 14 Issue 11
Objective: To explore the predictive value of tumor markers, including cancer antigen 72-4 (CA72-4), cancer antigen 15-3 (CA15-3) and cancer antigen 125 (CA125), in single or combined detection, for the diagnosis of ovarian cancer. Methods: 120 patients diagnosed with ovarian cancer from August 2011 to March 2013 and 80 patients diagnosed with benign ovarian tumors were enrolled in this test, along with 50 health examination women randomly selected from the database as controls. Serum levels of CA72-4, CA15-3 and CA125 in this study were determined by electrochemiluminescence (ECL). Results: Serum levels of CA72-4, CA15-3 and CA125 in ovarian cancer were higher than those in healthy group and benign group (P<0.01).The sensitivity of combined detection of those three tumor markers for diagnosis of ovarian cancer was obviously higher than with single detection with each marker (P<0.01). Conclusions: CA72-4, CA15-3 and CA125 could be a good combination in the diagnosis of ovarian cancer. Patients whose tumor markers continue to increase should be highly suspected of malignancy.
Combined detection;tumor markers;ovarian cancer;CA 72-4;CA 15-3;CA 125
- Bast RC Jr, Feeney M, Lazarus H, et al (1981). Reactivity of a monoclonal antibody with human ovarian carcinoma. J Clin Invest, 68, 1331-7. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI110380
- Duffy MJ, Lamerz R, Haglund C, et al (2013). Tumor markers in colorectal cancer, gastric cancer and gastrointestinal stromal cancers: European group on tumor markers (EGTM) 2013 guidelines update. Int J Cancer. ( Epub ahead of print)
- Frede J, Fraser SP, Oskay-Ozcelik G, et al (2013). Ovarian cancer: Ion channel and aquaporin expression as novel targets of clinical potential. Eur J Cancer, 49, 2331-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2013.03.016
- Foley OW, Rauh-Hain JA, del Carmen MG (2013). Recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer: an update on treatment. Oncology, 27, 288-94, 298.
- Hall M, Gourley C, McNeish I, et al (2013). Targeted anti-vascular therapies for ovarian cancer: current evidence. Br J Cancer, 108, 250-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.541
- Li J, Cheng H, Zhang P, et al (2013). Prognostic value of combined serum biomarkers in predicting outcomes in cervical cancer patients. Clin Chim Act, 11, 292-7.
- Mizumoto Y, Kyo S, Takakura M, Nakamura M, Inoue M (2010). Nihon Rinsho, 7, 717-9.
- O’Brien TJ, Beard JB, Underwood LJ, et al (2001). The CA125 gene: An extracellular superstructure dominated by repeat sequences. Tumour Biol, 22, 348-66. https://doi.org/10.1159/000050638
- Ruibal A, Gonzalez-Sistal A, Menendez P, Arias JI, Herranz M (2012). Only in patients with hormone-dependent breast infiltrating ductal carcinomas, CA15.3 serum levels are inversely correlated with the immunohistochemical expression of Bcl2. Clin Chim Act, 413, 1792-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2012.06.020
- Radka S, Weston BS, Kieran W, et al (2013). Exploring the Glycosylation of Serum CA125. Int J Mol Sci, 14, 15636-54. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms140815636
- Scholler N, Urban N (2007). CA125 in ovarian cancer. Biomark Med, 1, 513-23 https://doi.org/10.2217/17520322.214.171.1243
- Sisik A, Kaya M, Bas G, Basak F, Alimoglu (2013). CEA and CA19-9 are Still Valuable Markers for the Prognosis of Colorectal and Gastric Cancer Patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4289-94 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4289
- Wang WJ, Tao Z, Gu W, Sun LH (2013).Clinical observations on the association between diagnosis of lung cancer and serum tumor markers in combination. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4369-71. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4369
- Yin, BW, Lloyd, K (2001). Molecular cloning of the CA125 ovarian cancer antigen: Identification as a new mucin, MUC16. J Biol Chem, 276, 27371-75. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M103554200
- Yu D, Du K, Liu T, Chen G (2013). Prognostic Value of Tumor Markers, NSE, CA125 and SCC, in Operable NSCLC Patients. Int J Mol Sci, 14, 11145-56. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms140611145
- Zheng CX, Zhan WH, Zhao JZ, et al (2001). The prognostic value of preoperative serum levels of CEA, CA19-9 and CA72-4 in patients with colorectal cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 7, 431-4. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v7.i3.431
- Roles of Neutrophil/Lymphocyte and Platelet/Lymphocyte Ratios in the Early Diagnosis of Malignant Ovarian Masses vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6881
- Role of a Risk of Malignancy Index in Clinical Approaches to Adnexal Masses vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7793
- Modification of Cutoff Values for HE4, CA125, the Risk of Malignancy Index, and the Risk of Malignancy Algorithm for Ovarian Cancer Detection in Jakarta, Indonesia vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.1949
- Pre-Operative Evaluation of Ovarian Tumors by Risk of Malignancy Index, CA125 and Ultrasound vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2929
- Overexpression of TRPM7 is Associated with Poor Prognosis in Human Ovarian Carcinoma vol.15, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.3955
- Combined use of lysyl oxidase, carcino-embryonic antigen, and carbohydrate antigens improves the sensitivity of biomarkers in predicting lymph node metastasis and peritoneal metastasis in gastric cancer vol.35, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-2355-5
- Level and Evaluation of Tumor Marker CA-125 in Ovarian Cancer Patients in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.185
- An overview of the development and application of the sonographic scoring system: differentiation of malignant from benign ovarian tumors vol.293, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-015-3957-x
- New sonographic morphology score for the differentiation of malignant from benign ovarian tumors vol.42, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jog.13009
- Complete response to orally administered melphalan in malignant pleural effusion from an occult female genital organ primary neoplasm with BRCA1/2 mutations: a case report vol.12, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13256-018-1674-3