- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Repercussions of Breastfeeding by Diabetic Women for Breast Cancer
- Franca, Eduardo Luzia (Institute of Biological and Health Science, Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso) ;
- Franca-Botelho, Aline Do Carmo (Institute of Biological and Health Science, Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso) ;
- Franca, Juliana Luzia (Institute of Biological and Health Science, Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso) ;
- Ferrari, Carlos Kusano Bucalen (Institute of Biological and Health Science, Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso) ;
- Honorio-Franca, Adenilda Cristina (Institute of Biological and Health Science, Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso)
- Published : 2013.11.30
Diabetes represents a serious health problem. In the diabetic state, alterations in metabolism, increased susceptibility to infections and immunological changes occur. The suppression of the immune response has been identified as a relevant factor that contributes to the increase in the rate of infections in these patients. At the same time, breast cancer is the most frequent malignant tumor in women. The molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying cancer development have revealed that immune cells functionally regulate epithelial cancer development and progression. Breastfeeding has been hypothesized to reduce the risk of breast cancer. However, early systematic reviews have not yielded consistent findings for this association. The demand for human milk is increasing due to the promotion and consumer acceptance of the health benefits of consuming a natural product rich in bioactive components. However, due to changes in glucose metabolism, the components of the milk from diabetic women are modified depending on the time of evaluation. In this literature review, we summarize important new findings revealing the paradoxical role of breastfeeding in preventing the onset of breast cancer in diabetic mothers. We hypothesized that the milk component production in diabetic mothers is affected by changes in glucose metabolism. Therefore, adequate maternal glycemic control and an adequate duration of breastfeeding for diabetic mothers are crucial to ensure that the immunity components are able to confer protection against breast cancer.
- Alba-Loureiro TC, Munhoz CD, Martins JO, et al (2007). Neutrophil function and metabolism in individuals with diabetes mellitus. Braz J Med Biol Res, 40, 1037-44. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-879X2006005000143
- Alsaker MDK, Opdahl S, Asvold BO, et al (2011). The association of reproductive factors and breastfeeding with long term survival from breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 130, 175-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-011-1566-3
- American Diabetes Association (ADA) (2012). Gestational diabetes mellitus: position statements. Diabetes Care, 35, 71-1. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc12-0784
- American Dietetic Association (ADA) (2009). Position of the American dietetic association: promoting and supporting breastfeeding. J Am Diet Assoc, 109, 1926-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2009.09.018
- Arcidiacono B, Iiritano S, Nocera A, et al (2012). Insulin resistance and cancer risk: an overview of the pathogenetic mechanisms. Exp Diabetes Res, 2012, 789174.
- Balda CA, Pacheco-Silva A (1999). Immunological aspects of diabetes mellitus type 1. Rev Assoc Med Bras, 45, 175-80. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0104-42301999000200015
- Barnett GC, Shah M, Redman K, et al (2008). Risk factors for the incidence of breast cancer: do they affect survival from the disease? J Clin Oncol, 26, 3310-6. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.10.3168
- Bognetti E, Meschi F, Malavasi C, et al (1992). HLA antigens in Italian Type 1 diabetic patients: role of DR3/DR4 antigens and breast feeding in the onset of the disease. Acta Diabetol, 28, 229-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00779004
- Bombonati A, Sgroi DC (2011). The molecular pathology of breast cancer progression. J Pathol, 223, 308-18. https://doi.org/10.1002/path.2808
- Brandtzaeg P (2003). Mucosal immunity-integration between mother and the breast-fed infant. Vaccine, 21, 3382-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0264-410X(03)00338-4
- Brandtzaeg P (2010). The mucosal immune system and its integration with the mammary glands. J Pediatr, 156, 8-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3476(10)00367-7
- Burstein HJ, Polyak K, Wong JS, et al (2004). Ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. New Engl J Med, 350, 1430-41. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra031301
- Cantor SB, Guillemette S (2011). Hereditary breast cancer and the BRCA1-associated FANCJ/BACH1/BRIP1. Future Oncol, 7, 253-61. https://doi.org/10.2217/fon.10.191
- Chu D, Lu J (2008). Novel therapies in breast cancer: what is new from ASCO. Am J Hematol Oncol, 1, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-8722-1-1
- Cleveland RJ, North KE, Stevens J, et al (2012). The association of diabetes with breast cancer incidence and mortality in the long island breast cancer study project. Cancer Causes Control, 23, 1193-203. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-012-9989-7
- Coughlin SS, Calle EE, Teras LR, et al (2004). Diabetes mellitus as a predictor of cancer mortality in a large cohort of US adults. Am J Epidemiol, 159, 1160-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwh161
- Davis MK (2001). Breastfeeding and chronic disease in childhood and adolescence. Pediat Clin North Am, 48, 125-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-3955(05)70289-3
- DeNardo DG, Coussens LM (2007). Inflammation and breast cancer balancing immune response: crosstalk between adaptive and innate immune cells during breast cancer progression. Breast Cancer Res, 9, 212. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr1746
- Diana J, Gahzarian L, Simoni Y, et al (2001). Innate immunity in type 1 diabetes. Discov Med, 11, 513-20.
- Dumitrescu RG, Cotarla I (2005). Understanding breast cancer risk-where do we stand in 2005? J Cell Mol Med, 9, 208-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1582-4934.2005.tb00350.x
- Espina V, Liotta LA (2011). What is the malignant nature of human ductal carcinoma in situ? Nat Rev Cancer, 11, 68-75. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc2950
- Ferrari CKB, Franca EL, Honorio-Franca AC (2009). Nitric oxide, health and disease. J Appl Biomed, 7, 163-73.
- Ferrari CKB, Franca EL, Souto PCS, Honorio-Franca AC (2011). Oxidative and nitrosative stress on phagocytes’ function: from effective defense to immunity evasion mechanisms. Arch Immunol Ther Exp, 59, 441-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00005-011-0144-z
- Franca EL, Bitencourt RV, Fujimori M, et al (2011). Human colostral phagocytes eliminate enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli opsonized by colostrum supernatant. J Microbiol Immunol Infect, 44, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmii.2011.01.002
- Franca EL, Calderon GIMP, Vieira AC, et al (2012). Transfer of maternal immunity to newborns of diabetic mothers. Clin Dev Immunol, 2012, 928187.
- Franca EL, Feliciano ND, Silva KA, et al (2009). Modulatory role of melatonin on superoxide release by spleen macrophages isolated from alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Bratisl Lek Listy, 110, 517-22.
Franca EL, Morceli G, Fagundes DLG, et al (2011). Secretory IgA- Fc
$\alpha$Receptor interaction modulating phagocytosis and microbicidal activity by phagocytes in human colostrum of diabetics. Acta Pathol Microbiol Immunol Scand, 119, 710-19. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0463.2011.02789.x
- Franca EL, Nicomedes TR, Calderon IMP, Honorio-Franca AC (2010). Time-dependent alterations of soluble and cellular components in human milk. Biol Rhythm Res, 41, 333-47. https://doi.org/10.1080/09291010903407441
- Franca-Botelho AC, Ferreira MC, Franca JL, et al (2012). Breastfeeding and its Relationship with the Reduction of Breast Cancer: A Review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5327-33. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5327
- Franca-Botelho AC, Franca JL, Oliveira FM, et al (2011). Melatonin reduces the severity of experimental amoebiasis. Parasit and Vectors, 4, 62-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-3305-4-62
- Franca-Botelho AC, Honorio-Franca AC, Franca EL, et al (2006). Phagocytosis of giardia lamblia trophozoites by human colostral leukocytes. Acta Paediatr, 95, 438-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.2006.tb02258.x
- Georgiannos SN, Renaut A, Goode AW, Sheaff M (2003). The immunophenotype and activation status of the lymphocytic infiltrate in human breast cancers, the role of the major histocompatibility complex in cell-mediated immune mechanisms, and their association with prognostic indicators. Surgery, 134, 827-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0039-6060(03)00292-7
- Gerstein HC, VanderMeulen J (1996). The relationship between cow’s milk exposure and type 1 diabetes. Diabetic Med, 13, 23-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9136(199601)13:1<23::AID-DIA4>3.0.CO;2-D
- Gross JL, Nehme M (1999). Detection and treatment of chronic complications of diabetes mellitus: consensus of the Brazilian society of diabetes and brazilian consensus of ophthalmology. Rev Assoc Med Bras, 45, 279-84. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0104-42301999000300014
- Honorio-Franca AC, Carvalho MP, Isaac L, et al (1997). Colostral mononuclear phagocytes are able to kill enteropathogenic Escherichia coli opsonized with colostral IgA. Scand J Immunol, 46, 59-66. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3083.1997.d01-86.x
- Honorio-Franca AC, Launay P, Carneiro-Sampaio MMS, Monteiro RC (2001). Colostral neutrophils express Fc alpha receptors (CD89) lacking gamma chain association and mediate noninflammatory properties of secretory IgA. J Leukocyte Biol, 69, 289-96.
- Honorio-Franca AC, Silva KA, Feliciano ND, et al (2009). Melatonin effects on macrophage in diabetic rats and the maternal hyperglycemic implications for newborn rats. Int J Diabetes and Metabolism, 17, 87-92.
- Horta BL, Bahl R, Martines JC, Victora C (2007). Evidence on the long-term effects of breastfeeding. Systematic reviews and meta-analyses. World Health Organization Library Cataloguing-in-Publication.
- Islam N, Ahmed L, Khan NI, et al (2006). Immune components (IgA, IgM, IgG immune cells) of colostrum of Bangladeshi mothers. Pediatr Int, 48, 543-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-200X.2006.02291.x
- Ismail-Beigi F (2012). Pathogenesis and glycemic management of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a physiological approach. Arch Iran Med, 14, 239-46.
- Jiang ZY, Woollard AC, Wolff SP (1990). Hydrogen peroxide production during experimental protein glycation. FEBS Lett, 68, 69-71.
- Kawamura M, Heinecke JW, Chait A (1994). Pathophysiological concentration of glucose promote oxidative modification of low density lipoprotein by a superoxide-dependent pathway. J Clin Invest, 94, 771-8. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI117396
- Kent JC (2007). How Breastfeeding Works. J Midwifery Womens Health, 52, 564-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmwh.2007.04.007
- Lau DCW, Dhillon B, Yan H, et al (2005). Adipokines: molecular links between obesity and atherosclerosis. Am J Physiol, 288, 2031-41.
- Liao SS, Li J, Wei W, et al (2011). Association between diabetes mellitus and breast cancer risk: a meta-analysis of the literature. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1061-5.
- Loland BF, Baerug AB, Nylander G (2007). Human milk, immune responses and health effects. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen, 127, 2395-8.
- Macchetti AH, Marana HRC, Silva JS, et al (2006). Tumor-infiltrating CD4+ T lymphocytes in early breast cancer reflect lymph node involvement. Clinics, 61, 203-8.
- Mahoney MC, Bevers T, Linos E, Willett WC (2008). Opportunities and strategies for breast cancer prevention through risk reduction. CA Cancer J Clin, 58, 347-71. https://doi.org/10.3322/CA.2008.0016
- Malcova H, Sumnik Z, Drevinek P, et al (2006). Absence of breastfeeding is associated with the risk of type 1 diabetes: a case-control study in a population with rapidly increasing incidence. Eur J Paediatr, 165, 114-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00431-005-0008-9
- Maritim AC, Sanders RA, Watkins B (2003). Diabetes, oxidative stress, and antioxidants: a review. J Biochem Mol Toxicol, 17, 24-38. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbt.10058
- Marsigliante S, Biscozzo L, Marra A, et al (1999). Computerised counting of tumour infiltrating lymphocytes in 90 breast cancer specimens. Cancer Lett, 139, 33-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(98)00379-6
- Morceli G, Franca EL, Magalhaes VB, et al (2011). Diabetes induced immunological and biochemical changes in human colostrum. Acta Paediatr, 100, 550-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.2010.02070.x
- Nagata C, Mizoue T, Tanaka K, et al (2012). Breastfeeding and breast cancer risk: an evaluation based on a systematic review of epidemiologic evidence among the japanese population. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 42, 124-30. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyr182
- Peairs KS, Barone BB, Snyder CF (2011). Diabetes mellitus and breast cancer outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Oncol, 29, 40-6. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.27.3011
- Place AE, Huh SJ, Polyak K (2011). The microenvironment in breast cancer progression: biology and implications for treatment. Breast Cancer Res, 13, 227. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr2912
- Rabinovitch A (1994). Immunoregulatory and cytokine imbalances in the pathogenesis of IDDM. Therapeutic intervention by immunostimulation. Diabetes, 43, 613-21.
- Redondo CM, Gago-Dominguez M, Ponte SM, et al (2012). Breast feeding, parity and breast cancer subtypes in a Spanish cohort. PLoS One, 7, 40543. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0040543
- Romieu I (2011). Diet and breast cancer. Salud Publica de Mexico, 53, 430-9.
- Ronco AL, De Stefani E, Deneo-Pellegrini H, et al (2012). Diabetes, overweight and risk of postmenopausal breast cancer: a case-control study in Uruguay. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 139-46. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.139
- Russo J, Balogh GA, Russo IH (2008). Full-term pregnancy induces a specific genomic signature in the human breast. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 17, 17-51.
- Russo J, Moral R, Balogh GA, et al (2005). The protective role of pregnancy in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res, 7, 131-41. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr1029
- Stuebe AM, Rich-Edwards JW, Willett WC, et al (2005). Lactation is associated with improved glucose and insulin homeostasis, independent of weight change. JAMA, 294, 2601-10. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.294.20.2601
- Taylor JS, Kacmar JE, Nothnagle M (2005). A systematic review of the literature associating breastfeeding with type 2 diabetes and gestational diabetes. J Am Coll Nutr, 24, 320-6. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2005.10719480
- Tsai EC, Hirsch IB, Brunzell JD, Chait A (1994). Reduced plasma peroxyl radical trapping capacity and increases susceptibility of LDL to oxidation in poorly controlled IDDM. Diabetes, 43, 1010-4. https://doi.org/10.2337/diab.43.8.1010
- Vanbeusekom CM, Zeegers TA, Martini IA, et al (1993). Milk of patients with tightly controlled insulin-dependent diabetes-mellitus has normal macronutrient and fatty-acid composition. Am J Clin Nutr, 57, 938-43. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/57.6.938
- Watanabe MAE, Oda JMM, Amarante MK, et al (2010). Regulatory T cells and breast cancer: implications for immunopathogenesis. Cancer Metastasis Rev, 29, 569-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10555-010-9247-y
- Wild S, Roglic G, Green A, et al (2004). Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care, 27, 1047-53. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.5.1047
- Yang L, Jacobsen KH (2008). A systematic review of the association between breastfeeding and breast cancer. J Womens Health, 17, 1635-45. https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2008.0917
- Zimmet P, Alberti KG, Shaw J (2001). Global and societal implications of the diabetes epidemic. Nature, 414, 782-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/414782a
- Influence of Propofol, Isoflurane and Enflurance on Levels of Serum Interleukin-8 and Interleukin-10 in Cancer Patients vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6703