- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Profile of Lung Cancer in Kuwait
- El-Basmy, Amani (Cancer Epidemiology and Registration Unit, Ministry of Heath) ;
- Al-Mohannadi, Shihab (Kuwait Cancer Control Center, Ministry of Heath) ;
- Al-Awadi, Ahmed (Kuwait Cancer Control Center, Ministry of Heath)
- Published : 2013.10.30
Background: Lung cancer is the most frequent cancer in males and the fourth most frequent site in females, worldwide. This study is the first to explore the profile of lung cancer in Kuwait. Materials and Methods: Cases of primary lung cancer (Kuwaiti) in Kuwait cancer Registry (KCR) were grouped in 4 periods (10 years each) from 1970-2009. Epidemiological measures; age standardized incidence rate (ASIR) with 95% confidence intervals (CI), Standardized rate ratio (SRR) and Cumulative risk and Forecasting to year 2020-2029 used for analysis. Results: Between years, 2000-2009 lung cancer ranked the 4th and the 9th most frequent cancer in males and females respectively. M:F ratio 1:3. Mean age at diagnosis (95%CI) was 65.2 (63.9-66.4) years. The estimated risk of developing lung cancer before the age of 75 years in males is 1.8% (1/56), and 0.6 (1/167) in females. The ASIR for male cases was 11.7, 17.1, 17.0, 14.0 cases/100,000 population in the seventies, eighties, nineties and in 2000-2009 respectively. Female ASIR was 2.3, 8.4, 5.1, 4.4 cases/100,000 population in the same duration. Lung cancer is the leading cause cancer death in males 168 (14.2%) and the fifth cause of death due to cancer in females accounting for 6.1% of all cancer deaths. The ASMR (95%CI) was 8.1 (6.6-10.0) deaths/100,000 population and 2.8 (1.3-4.3) deaths/100,000 population in males and females respectively. The estimated Mortality to incidence Ratio was 0.6. Conclusions: The incidence of lung cancer between years 2000-2009 is not different from that reported in the seventies. KCR is expecting the number of lung cancer cases to increase.
- Al-Nesf Y, Kamel M, El-Shazly M, et al (2008). Eastern Mediterranean Approach for control of Non Communicable diseases, Survey of Risk Factors for Chronic Non communicable Diseases, State of Kuwait Ministry of Health, 123-63.
- Boniol M, Heanue M (2007). Age -standardisation and denominators. In Curado MP, Edwards B, Shin HR, Storm H, Ferlay J, Heanue M, (2007). Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, Vol. IX IARC Scientific Publications No. 160. Lyon: IARC.
- Curado MP, Edwards B, Shin HR, et al (2007). Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, Vol. IX IARC Scientific Publications No. 160, Lyon, IARC.
- Fritz A, Percy C, Jack A, et al (2000). International Classification of Diseases for Oncology, 3rd edition. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- GLOBOCAN (2008). International Agency of Research on Cancer (IARC) Incidence and mortality tables 2011 Lyon: IARC.
- Health, Kuwait, edition XLVI, (2010). Health vital statistics division, department of statistics & medical records, State of Kuwait, Ministry of health.
- Moody PM, Memon A, Sugathan TN, El-Gerges NS, Al-Bustan M (1998). Factors associated with the initiation of smoking by Kuwaiti males. J Subst Abuse, 10, 375-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-3289(99)00012-7
- Sugathan TN, Moody PM, Bustan MA, Elgerges NS (1998). Age patterns of smoking initiation among Kuwait university male students. Soc Sci Med, 47, 1855-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(98)00204-4
- Ten-years cancer incidence among nationals of the GCC states, 1998-2007, (2011). Gulf center for cancer control and prevention, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, KSA.
- WHO (2013). STEPs survey fact sheet, STEP wise approach to Chronic disease risk factor surveillance, chronic diseases and health promotion.
- WHO (2011). Report on the global tobacco epidemic, warning about the dangers of tobacco.
- Epidemiological and Clinicopathological Characteristics of Lung Cancer in a Teaching Hospital in Iran vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2495
- Lung cancer incidence and mortality in China, 2010 vol.5, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/1759-7714.12098
- Demographic Survey of Four Thousand Patients with 10 Common Cancers in North Eastern Iran over the Past Three Decades vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10193
- Histologic Distribution of Pulmonary Tumors in Lebanon: A 5-Year Single Institution Experience vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5899
- Induction of G2/M phase arrest and apoptosis by ZGDHU-1 in A549 and RERF-LC-MA lung cancer cells vol.12, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.4697