- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Geometric Optimization of a Mathematical Model of Radiofrequency Ablation in Hepatic Carcinoma
- Wang, Kai-Feng (Department of Oncology, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Medical School, Zhejiang University) ;
- Pan, Wei (Department of Mathematics, Zhejiang University) ;
- Wang, Fei (Department of Mathematics, Zhejiang University) ;
- Wang, Gao-Feng (Department of Oncology, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Medical School, Zhejiang University) ;
- Madhava, Pai (HPB Surgical Unit, Department of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, Hammersmith Hospital campus) ;
- Pan, Hong-Ming (Department of Oncology, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Medical School, Zhejiang University) ;
- Kong, De-Xing (Department of Mathematics, Zhejiang University) ;
- Liu, Xiang-Guan (Department of Mathematics, Zhejiang University)
- Published : 2013.10.30
Radio frequency ablation (RFA) is an effective means of achieving local control of liver cancer. It is a particularly suitable mode of therapy for small and favorably located tumors. However, local progression rates are substantially higher for large tumors (>3.0 cm). In the current study, we report on a mathematical model based on geometric optimization to treat large liver tumors. A database of mathematical models relevant to the configuration of liver cancer was also established. The specific placement of electrodes and the frequency of ablation were also optimized. In addition, three types of liver cancer lesion were simulated by computer guidance incorporating mathematical models. This approach can be expected to provide a more effective and rationale mechanism for employing RFA in the therapy of hepatic carcinoma.
Radio frequency ablation;mathematical model;geometric optimization;hepatic carcinoma;cover sphere
- Chan AC, Poon RT, Ng KK, et al (2008). Changing paradigm in the management of hepatocellular carcinoma improves the survival benefit of early detection by screening. Ann Surg, 247, 666-73. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e31816a747a
- Baegert C, Villard C, Schreck P, Soler L, Gangi A (2007). Trajectory optimization for the planning of percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of hepatic tumors. Comput Aided Surg, 12, 82-90. https://doi.org/10.3109/10929080701312000
- Bruix J, Sherman M (2005). Management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology, 42, 1208-36. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.20933
- Bruix J, Sherman M, Llovet JM, et al (2001). Clinical management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Conclusions of the Barcelona-2000 EASL conference. European association for the Study of the Liver. J Hepatol, 35, 421-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-8278(01)00130-1
- Cady B, Jenkins RL, Steele GD Jr, et al (1998). Surgical margin in hepatic resection for colorectal metastasis: a critical and improvable determinant of outcome. Ann Surg, 227, 566-71. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-199804000-00019
- Chen CC, Miga MI, Galloway RL Jr (2009). Optimizing electrode placement using finite-element models in radiofrequency ablation treatment planning. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 56, 237-45. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2008.2010383
- Chen MH, Yang W, Yan K, et al (2004). Large liver tumors: protocol for radiofrequency ablation and its clinical application in 110 patients--mathematic model, overlapping mode, and electrode placement process. Radiology, 232, 260-71. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2321030821
- Dodd GD 3rd, Soulen MC, Kane RA, et al (2000). Minimally invasive treatment of malignant hepatic tumors: at the threshold of a major breakthrough. Radiographics, 20, 9-27. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiographics.20.1.g00ja019
- Crocetti L, de Baere T, Lencioni R (2010). Quality improvement guidelines for radiofrequency ablation of liver tumours. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol, 33, 11-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00270-009-9736-y
- Curley SA, Izzo F, Delrio P, et al (1999). Radiofrequency ablation of unresectable primary and metastatic hepatic malignancies: results in 123 patients. Ann Surg, 230, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-199907000-00001
- Dodd GD 3rd, Frank MS, Aribandi M, Chopra S, Chintapalli KN (2001). Radiofrequency thermal ablation: computer analysis of the size of the thermal injury created by overlapping ablations. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 177, 777-82. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.177.4.1770777
- Elias D, Cavalcanti A, Sabourin JC, et al (1998). Resection of liver metastases from colorectal cancer: the real impact of the surgical margin. Eur J Surg Oncol, 24, 174-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0748-7983(98)92878-5
- Hiraoka A, Hirooka M, Koizumi Y, et al (2010). Modified technique for determining therapeutic response to radiofrequency ablation therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma using US-volume system. Oncol Rep, 23, 493-7.
- Kainuma O, Asano T, Aoyama H, et al (1999). Combined therapy with radiofrequency thermal ablation and intra-arterial infusion chemotherapy for hepatic metastases from colorectal cancer. Hepatogastroenterol, 46, 1071-7.
- Khajanchee YS, Streeter D, Swanstrom LL, Hansen PD (2004). A mathematical model for preoperative planning of radiofrequency ablation of hepatic tumors. Surg Endosc, 18, 696-701. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-003-8180-3
- Laspas F, Sotiropoulou E, Mylona S, et al (2009). Computed tomography-guided radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma: treatment efficacy and complications. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis, 18, 323-8.
- McGhana JP, Dodd GD 3rd (2001). Radiof requency ablation of the liver current status. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 176, 3-16. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.176.1.1760003
- Lau WY, Lai EC (2009). The current role of radiofrequency ablation in the management of hepatocellular carcinoma: a systematic review. Ann Surg, 249, 20-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e31818eec29
- Livraghi T, Goldberg SN, Lazzaroni S, et al (1999). Small hepatocellular carcinoma: treatment with radio-frequency ablation versus ethanol injection. Radiology, 210, 655-61. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.210.3.r99fe40655
- Livraghi T, Goldberg SN, Lazzaroni S, et al (2000). Hepatocellular carcinoma: radio-frequency ablation of medium and large lesions. Radiol, 214, 761-8. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.214.3.r00mr02761
- Min JH, Lee MW, Rhim H, et al (2011). Recurrent hepatocellular carcinoma after transcatheter arterial chemoembolization: planning sonography forradio frequency ablation. J Ultrasound Med, 30, 617-24.
- Park BJ, Byun JH, Jin YH, et al (2009). CT-guided radiofrequency ablation for hepatocellular carcinomas that were undetectable at US: therapeutic effectiveness and safety. J Vasc Interv Radiol, 20, 490-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvir.2009.01.004
- Poultsides GA, Schulick RD, Pawlik TM (2010). Hepatic resection for colorectal metastases: the impact of surgical margin status on outcome. HPB (Oxford), 12, 43-9.
- Rhim H, Goldberg SN, Dodd GD 3rd, et al (2001). Essential techniques for successful radio-frequency thermal ablation of malignant hepatic tumors. Radiographics, 21, 17-35. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiographics.21.suppl_1.g01oc11s17
- Rossi S, Fornari F, Pathies C, Buscarini L (1990). Thermal lesions induced by 480 KHz localized current field in guinea pig and pig liver. Tumori, 76, 54-7.
- Solbiati L, Goldberg SN, Ierace T, et al (1997a). Hepatic metastases: percutaneous radio-frequency ablation with cooled-tip electrodes. Radiology, 205, 367-73. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.205.2.9356616
- Youk JH, Lee JM, Kim CS (2003). Therapeutic response evaluation of malignant hepatic masses treated by interventional procedures with contrast-enhanced agent detection imaging. J Ultrasound Med, 22, 911-20.
- Solbiati L, Ierace T, Goldberg SN, et al (1997b). Percutaneous US-guided radio-frequency tissue ablation of liver metastases: treatment and follow-up in 16 patients. Radiology, 202, 195-203. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.202.1.8988211
- Toshikuni N, Takuma Y, Goto T, Yamamoto H (2012). Prognostic factors in hepatitis C patients with a single small hepatocellular carcinoma after radiofrequency ablation. Hepatogastroenterol, 59, 2361-6.
- Tsuzuki T, Sugioka A, Ueda M, et al (1990). Hepatic resection for hepatocellular carcinoma. Surgery, 107, 511-20.
- Zhou Y, Zhao Y, Li B, et al (2010). Meta-analysis of radiofrequency ablation versus hepatic resection for small hepatocellular carcinoma. BMC Gastroenterol, 10, 78. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-230X-10-78
- Decreased expression of TRIM3 is associated with poor prognosis in patients with primary hepatocellular carcinoma vol.31, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0102-9
- Radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma in difficult locations: Strategies and long-term outcomes vol.21, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v21.i5.1554