- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Prognostic Significance of Interactions Between ER Alpha and ER Beta and Lymph Node Status in Breast Cancer Cases
- Han, Shu-Jing (Department of Epidemiology and Health Statistics, School of Public Health, Capital Medical University) ;
- Guo, Qing-Qing (Beijing Friend Hospital, Capital University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Wang, Ting (Departments of General Surgery, Xinjing Hospital, Xi'an) ;
- Wang, You-Xin (Department of Epidemiology and Health Statistics, School of Public Health, Capital Medical University) ;
- Zhang, Yu-Xiang (Department of Epidemiology and Health Statistics, School of Public Health, Capital Medical University) ;
- Liu, Fen (Department of Epidemiology and Health Statistics, School of Public Health, Capital Medical University) ;
- Luo, Yan-Xia (Department of Epidemiology and Health Statistics, School of Public Health, Capital Medical University) ;
- Zhang, Jie (Department of Epidemiology and Health Statistics, School of Public Health, Capital Medical University) ;
- Wang, You-Li (Peking University People's Hospital) ;
- Yan, Yu-Xiang (Department of Epidemiology and Health Statistics, School of Public Health, Capital Medical University) ;
- Peng, Xiao-Xia (Department of Epidemiology and Health Statistics, School of Public Health, Capital Medical University) ;
- Ling, Rui (Departments of General Surgery, Xinjing Hospital, Xi'an) ;
- He, Yan (Department of Epidemiology and Health Statistics, School of Public Health, Capital Medical University)
- Published : 2013.10.30
Objective: Both estrogen receptors, ER alpha (
- Jordan VC, Brodie AM (2007).Development and evolution of therapies targeted to the estrogen receptor for the treatment and prevention of breast cancer. Steroids, 72, 7-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.steroids.2006.10.009
- Fleming FJ, Hill AD, McDermott EW, O'Higgins NJ, Young LS (2004). Differential recruitment of coregulator proteins steroid receptor coactivator-1 and silencing mediator for retinoid and thyroid receptors to the estrogen receptor-estrogen response element by beta-estradiol and 4-hydroxytamoxifen in human breast cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 89, 375-83. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2003-031048
- Fuqua SA, Schiff R, Parra I, et al (2003). Estrogen receptor beta protein in human breast cancer: correlation with clinical tumor parameters. Cancer Res, 63, 2434-9
- Jarvinen TA, Pelto-Huikko M, Holli K, Isola J (2000). Estrogen receptor beta is coexpressed with ER alpha and PR and associated with nodal status, grade, and proliferation rate in breast cancer. Am J Pathol, 156, 29-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9440(10)64702-5
- Kirschner MA (1977). The role of hormones in the etiology of human breast cancer. Cancer, 39, 2716-26. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(197706)39:6<2716::AID-CNCR2820390659>3.0.CO;2-3
- Koda M, Sulkowski S, Kanczuga-Koda L, Surmacz E, Sulkowska M (2004). Expression of ER alpha, ER beta and Ki-67 in primary tumors and lymph node metastases in breast cancer. Oncol Rep, 11, 753-9.
- Lacey JV, Jr., Devesa SS, Brinton LA (2002). Recent trends in breast cancer incidence and mortality. Environ Mol Mutagen, 39, 82-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/em.10062
- Lin CY, Strom A, Li Kong S, et al (2007). Inhibitory effects of estrogen receptor beta on specific hormone-responsive gene expression and association with disease outcome in primary breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res, 9, R25. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr1667
- McGuire WL (1978). Hormone receptors: their role in predicting prognosis and response to endocrine therapy. Semin Oncol, 5, 428-33.
- O'Neill PA, Davies MP, Shaaban AM, et al (2004). Wild-type oestrogen receptor beta (ERbeta1) mRNA and protein expression in Tamoxifen-treated post-menopausal breast cancers. Br J Cancer, 91, 1694-702.
- Murphy L, Cherlet T, Lewis A, Banu Y, Watson P (2003). New insights into estrogen receptor function in human breast cancer. Ann Med, 35, 614-31. https://doi.org/10.1080/07853890310014579
- Nilsson S, Makela S, Treuter E, et al (2001). Mechanisms of estrogen action. Physiol Rev, 81, 1535-65.
- Omoto Y, Kobayashi S, Inoue S, et al (2002). Evaluation of oestrogen receptor beta wild-type and variant protein expression, and relationship with clinicopathological factors in breast cancers. Eur J Cancer, 38, 380-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(01)00383-5
- Osborne CK (1998). Steroid hormone receptors in breast cancer management. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 51, 227-38. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006132427948
- Page DL, Fleming ID, Fritz A (2002). AJCC Cancer Staging Manual 6th edition. breast cancer. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, Pa, USA.
- Pettersson K, Delaunay F, Gustafsson JA (2000). Estrogen receptor beta acts as a dominant regulator of estrogen signaling. Oncogene, 19, 4970-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1203828
- Platet N, Cathiard AM, Gleizes M, Garcia M (2004). Estrogens and their receptors in breast cancer progression: a dual role in cancer proliferation and invasion. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 51, 55-67 . https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2004.02.001
- Reisenbichler ES, Lester SC, Richardson AL, et al (2013). Interobserver Concordance in Implementing the 2010 ASCO/CAP Recommendations for Reporting ER in Breast Carcinomas: A Demonstration of the Difficulties of Consistently Reporting Low Levels of ER Expression by Manual Quantification. Am J Clin Pathol, 140, 487-94 https://doi.org/10.1309/AJCP1RF9FUIZRDPI
- Speirs V, Parkes AT, Kerin MJ, et al (1999).Coexpression of estrogen receptor alpha and beta: poor prognostic factors in human breast cancer? Cancer Res, 59, 525-8.
- Robertson JF (1996). Oestrogen receptor: a stable phenotype in breast cancer. Br J Cancer, 73, 5-12. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1996.2
- Rochefort H, Platet N, Hayashido Y, et al (1998).Estrogen receptor mediated inhibition of cancer cell invasion and motility: an overview. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol, 65, 163-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-0760(98)00010-7
- Sofi GN, Sofi JN, Nadeem R (2012). Estrogen receptor and progesterone receptor status in breast cancer in relation to age, histological grade, size of lesion and lymph node involvement. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5047-52 . https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5047
- Sugiura H, Toyama T, Hara Y, et al (2007).Expression of estrogen receptor beta wild-type and its variant ERbetacx/beta2 is correlated with better prognosis in breast cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 37, 820-8 . https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hym114
- Umemura S, Kurosumi M, Moriya T, et al (2006). Immunohistochemical evaluation for hormone receptors in breast cancer: a practically useful evaluation system and handling protocol. Breast Cancer, 13, 232-5. https://doi.org/10.2325/jbcs.13.232
- Williams C, Edvardsson K, Lewandowski SA, Strom A, Gustafsson JA (2008). A genome-wide study of the repressive effects of estrogen receptor beta on estrogen receptor alpha signaling in breast cancer cells. Oncogene, 27, 1019-32. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1210712
- Williams G, Anderson E, Howell A, et al (1991) .Oral contraceptive (OCP) use increases proliferation and decreases oestrogen receptor content of epithelial cells in the normal human breast. Int J Cancer, 48, 206-10. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910480209
- Younes M, Honma N (2011): Estrogen receptor beta. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 135, 63-6.
- Ziegler RG, Anderson WF, Gail MH (2008).Increasing breast cancer incidence in China: the numbers add up. J Natl Cancer Inst, 100, 1339-41. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djn330
- Benefit of Post-mastectomy Radiotherapy of the Supra-/infraclavicular Lymphatic Drainage Area in Breast Cancer Patients vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5557
- Long-Term Survival of Women with Locally Advanced Breast Cancer with ≥10 Involved Lymph Nodes at Diagnosis vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3435
- Autocrine interferon-γ may affect malignant behavior and sensitivity to tamoxifen of MCF-7 via estrogen receptor β subtype vol.34, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2015.4294
- Awareness and current knowledge of breast cancer vol.50, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40659-017-0140-9