- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Comparative Serum Proteomic Analysis of Serum Diagnosis Proteins of Colorectal Cancer Based on Magnetic Bead Separation and MALDI-TOF Mass Spectrometry
- Deng, Bao-Guo (Department of Microbiology, Xinxiang Medical University) ;
- Yao, Jin-Hua (Paediatrics Intensive Care Unit, the First Affiliated Hospital of Xinxiang Medical University) ;
- Liu, Qing-Yin (The Clinical Laboratory, No.150 Central Hospital of PLA) ;
- Feng, Xian-Jun (Department of Respiratory Medicine, the First Affiliated Hospital of Xinxiang Medical University) ;
- Liu, Dong (Department of Dermatology, the First Affiliated Hospital of Xinxiang Medical University) ;
- Zhao, Li (Paediatrics Intensive Care Unit, the First Affiliated Hospital of Xinxiang Medical University) ;
- Tu, Bin (Import-Export Inspection and Quarantine Bureau of Luoyang) ;
- Yang, Fan (Department of Microbiology, Xinxiang Medical University)
- Published : 2013.10.30
Background: At present, the diagnosis of colorectal cancer (CRC) requires a colorectal biopsy which is an invasive procedure. We undertook this pilot study to develop an alternative method and potential new biomarkers for diagnosis, and validated a set of well-integrated tools called ClinProt to investigate the serum peptidome in CRC patients. Methods: Fasting blood samples from 67 patients diagnosed with CRC by histological diagnosis, 55 patients diagnosed with colorectal adenoma by biopsy, and 65 healthy volunteers were collected. Division was into a model construction group and an external validation group randomly. The present work focused on serum proteomic analysis of model construction group by ClinProt Kit combined with mass spectrometry. This approach allowed construction of a peptide pattern able to differentiate the studied populations. An external validation group was used to verify the diagnostic capability of the peptidome pattern blindly. An immunoassay method was used to determine serum CEA of CRC and controls. Results: The results showed 59 differential peptide peaks in CRC, colorectal adenoma and health volunteers. A genetic algorithm was used to set up the classification models. Four of the identified peaks at m/z 797, 810, 4078 and 5343 were used to construct peptidome patterns, achieving an accuracy of 100% (> CEA, P<0.05). Furthermore, the peptidome patterns could differentiate the validation group with high accuracy close to 100%. Conclusions: Our results showed that proteomic analysis of serum with MALDI-TOF MS is a fast and reproducible approach, which may provide a novel approach to screening for CRC.
peptidome patterns;colorectal cancer;diagnosis;magnetic beads;MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry
- Cadeco S, Williamson AJ, Whetton AD (2012). The use of proteomics for systematic analysis of normal and transformed hematopoietic stem cells. Curr Pharm Des, 18, 1730-50. https://doi.org/10.2174/138161212799859675
- Alagaratnam S, Mertens BJ, Dalebout JC, et al (2008). Serum protein profiling in mice: identification of Factor XIIIa as a potential biomarker for muscular dystrophy. Proteomics, 8, 1552-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmic.200700857
- Baumann S, Ceglarek U, Fiedler GM, et al (2005). Standardized approach to proteome profiling of human serum based on magnetic bead separation and matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Clin Chem, 51, 973-80. https://doi.org/10.1373/clinchem.2004.047308
- Boja ES, Rodriguez H (2012). Mass spectrometry-based targeted quantitative proteomics: achieving sensitive and reproducible detection of proteins. Proteomics, 12, 1093-110. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmic.201100387
- Cheng AJ, Chen LC, Chien KY, et al (2005). Oral cancer plasma tumor marker identified with bead-based affinity-fractionated proteomic technology. Clin Chem, 51, 2236-44. https://doi.org/10.1373/clinchem.2005.052324
- Chinello C, Gianazza E, Zoppis I, et al (2010). Serum biomarkers of renal cell carcinoma assessed using a protein profiling approach based on ClinProt technique. Urology, 75, 842-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2009.09.050
- Cho WC (2007). Contribution of oncoproteomics to cancer biomarker discovery. Mol Cancer, 6, 25. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-4598-6-25
- Dai Y, Hu C, Wang L, et al (2010). Serum peptidome patterns of human systemic lupus erythematosus based on magnetic bead separation and MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry analysis. Scand J Rheumatol, 39, 240-6. https://doi.org/10.3109/03009740903456292
- Cho WC (2007). Nasopharyngeal carcinoma: molecular biomarker discovery and progress. Mol Cancer, 6, 1.
- Ciccolallo L, Capocaccia R, Coleman MP, et al (2005). Survival differences between European and US patients with colorectal cancer: role of stage at diagnosis and surgery. Gut, 54, 268-73. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2004.044214
- Compton CC, Greene FL (2004). The staging of colorectal cancer: 2004 and beyond. CA Cancer J Clin, 54, 295-308. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.54.6.295
- Du J, Yang S, Lin X, et al (2010). Use of anchorchip-time-of-flight spectrometry technology to screen tumor biomarker proteins in serum for small cell lung cancer. Diagn Pathol, 5, 60. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-1596-5-60
- Edwards BK, Ward E, Kohler BA, et al (2010). Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975-2006, featuring colorectal cancer trends and impact of interventions (risk factors, screening, and treatment) to reduce future rates. Cancer, 116, 544-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24760
- Engwegen JY, Depla AC, Smits ME, et al (2008). Detection of colorectal cancer by serum and tissue protein profiling: a prospective study in a population at risk. Biomark Insights, 3, 375-85.
- Fan NJ, Gao CF, Wang CS, et al (2012). Discovery and verification of gelsolin as a potential biomarker of colorectal adenocarcinoma in the Chinese population: Examining differential protein expression using an iTRAQ labelling-based proteomics approach. Can J Gastroentero, 26, 41-7.
- Fan NJ, Gao CF, Wang XL (2011). Identification of regional lymph node involvement of colorectal cancer by serum SELDI proteomic patterns. Gastroenterol Res Pract, 2011, 784967.
- Garay JP, Gray JW (2012). Omics and therapy - a basis for precision medicine. Mol Oncol, 6, 128-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molonc.2012.02.009
- Fan NJ, Gao CF, Wang CS, et al (2012).Identification of the up-regulation of TP-alpha, collagen alpha-1 (VI) chain, and S100A9 in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma by a proteomic method. J Proteomics, 75, 3977-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jprot.2012.05.008
- Fan NJ, Gao CF, Zhao G, Wang XL, Qiao L (2012). Serum peptidome patterns for early screening of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Biotechnol Appl Biochem, 59, 276-82. https://doi.org/10.1002/bab.1024
- Fan NJ, Gao CF, Zhao G, Wang XL, Liu QY (2012).Serum peptidome patterns of breast cancer based on magnetic bead separation and mass spectrometry analysis. Diagn Pathol, 7, 45. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-1596-7-45
- Gemoll T, Roblick UJ, Auer G, Jornvall H, Habermann JK (2010).SELDI-TOF serum proteomics and colorectal cancer: a current overview. Arch Physiol Biochem, 116, 188-96. https://doi.org/10.3109/13813455.2010.495130
- Heckman-Stoddard BM (2012). Oncology biomarkers: discovery, validation, and clinical use. Semin Oncol Nurs, 28, 93-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2012.03.003
- Huang YJ, Xuan C, Zhang BB, et al (2009). SELDI-TOF MS profiling of serum for detection of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 28, 85. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-28-85
- Hudler P, Gorsic M, Komel R (2010). Proteomic strategies and challenges in tumor metastasis research. Clin Exp Metastasis, 27, 441-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10585-010-9339-7
- Issaq HJ, Xiao Z, Veenstra TD (2007): Serum and plasma proteomics. Chem Rev, 107, 3601-20. https://doi.org/10.1021/cr068287r
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, Ward E (2010).Cancer statistics2010. CA Cancer J Clin, 60, 277-300. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20073
- Pan C, He N, Zhao M, et al (2011). Subdividing the M1 stage of liver metastasis for nasopharyngeal carcinoma to better predict metastatic survival. Med Oncol, 28, 1349-55. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-010-9643-8
- Ketterlinus R, Hsieh SY, Teng SH, Lee H, Pusch W (2005). Fishing for biomarkers: analyzing mass spectrometry data with the new ClinProTools software. Biotechniques, Suppl, 37-40.
- Liu LH, Shan BE, Tian ZQ, et al (2010). Potential biomarkers for esophageal carcinoma detected by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Clin Chem Lab Med, 48, 855-61.
- Pang J, Liu WP, Liu XP, et al (2010).Profiling protein markers associated with lymph node metastasis in prostate cancer by DIGE-based proteomics analysis. J Proteome Res, 9, 216-26. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr900953s
- Shin S, Cazares L, Schneider H, et al (2007). Serum biomarkers to differentiate benign and malignant mammographic lesions. J Am Coll Surg, 204, 1065-71; discussion 1071-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2007.01.036
- Smith RA, Cokkinides V, Brooks D, et al (2011). Cancer screening in the United States, 2011: A review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and issues in cancer screening. CA Cancer J Clin , 61, 8-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20096
- Tolson JP, Flad T, Gnau V, et al (2006). Differential detection of S100A8 in transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder by pair wise tissue proteomic and immunohistochemical analysis. Proteomics, 6, 697-708. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmic.200500033
- Wang Q, Shen J, Li ZF, et al (2009).Limitations in SELDI-TOF MS whole serum proteomic profiling with IMAC surface to specifically detect colorectal cancer. BMC Cancer, 9, 287. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-9-287
- West-Norager M, Kelstrup CD, Schou C, et al (2007). Unravelling in vitro variables of major importance for the outcome of mass spectrometry-based serum proteomics. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci, 847, 30-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2006.09.048
- Whiteaker JR, Zhao L, Zhang HY, et al (2007). Antibody-based enrichment of peptides on magnetic beads for massspectrometry-based quantification of serum biomarkers. Anal Biochem, 362, 44-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ab.2006.12.023
- Yao N, Chen H, Lin H, Deng C, Zhang X (2008). Enrichment of peptides in serum by C (8)-functionalized magnetic nanoparticles for direct matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry analysis. J Chromatogr A, 1185, 93-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2008.01.047
- Zethelius B, Berglund L, Sundstrom J, et al (2008).Use of multiple biomarkers to improve the prediction of death from cardiovascular causes. N Engl J Med, 358, 2107-16. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0707064
- Down-regulated MYH11 Expression Correlates with Poor Prognosis in Stage II and III Colorectal Cancer vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7223
- Plasma Phosphoproteome and Differential Plasma Phosphoproteins with Opisthorchis Viverrini-Related Cholangiocarcinoma vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1011
- Pemetrexed Induces G1 Phase Arrest and Apoptosis through Inhibiting Akt Activation in Human Non Small Lung Cancer Cell Line A549 vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1507
- Proteomic study of benign and malignant pleural effusion vol.142, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-016-2130-7
- Selected reaction monitoring for colorectal cancer diagnosis using a set of five serum peptides identified by BLOTCHIP®-MS analysis vol.53, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00535-018-1448-0