- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
MicroRNA-101 Inhibits Cell Proliferation, Invasion, and Promotes Apoptosis by Regulating Cyclooxygenase-2 in Hela Cervical Carcinoma Cells
- Huang, Fei (Department of Pathology, Basic Medical Sciences, Xinjiang Medical University) ;
- Lin, Chen (Department of Pathology, Basic Medical Sciences, Xinjiang Medical University) ;
- Shi, Yong-Hua (Department of Pathology, Basic Medical Sciences, Xinjiang Medical University) ;
- Kuerban, Gulinar (Department of Pathology, Basic Medical Sciences, Xinjiang Medical University)
- Published : 2013.10.30
Aim: Although aberrant miRNA expression has been documented, altered miR-101 expression in cervical cancer and its carcinogenic effects and mechanisms remain unexplored. The aim of our study was to investigate the role of miR-101 alteration in cervical carcinogenesis. Methods: Expression of miR-101 was examined by quantitative real-time reverse transcriptase PCR (qRT-PCR) in Hela cells. After modulating miR-101 expression using miR-101 mimics, cell growth, apoptosis and proliferation, and migration were tested separately by MTT or flow cytometry and cell wound healing assay and protein expression was detected by qRT-PCR. The expression of COX-2 in Hela cell was also examined by immunohistochemical staining and the correlation with miR-101 expression was analysed. Results: The miR-101 demonstrated significantly low expression in Hela cell. When we transfected miR-101 mimics into Hela cells, the modulation of miR-101 expression remarkably influenced cell proliferation, cycling and apoptosis: 1) The expression of microRNA-101 tended to increase after transfection; 2) Overexpression of miR-101 was able to promote cell apoptosis, the apoptosis rate being markedly higher (97.6%) than that seen pre-transfection (12.2%) (P<0.05); 3) The miR-101 negatively regulates cell migration and invasion, scratch results being lower (
- Agra Andrieu N, Motino O, Mayoral R, et al (2012). Cyclooxygenase-2 is a target of microRNA-16 in human hepatoma cells. PLoS One, 7, e50935. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0050935
- Arbyn M, Castellsague X, de Sanjose S, et al (2011). Worldwide burden of cervical cancer in 2008. Ann Oncol, 22, 2675-86. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr015
- Buechner J, Tomte E, Haug BH, et al (2011). Tumour-suppressor microRNAs let-7 and mir-101 target the proto-oncogene MYCN and inhibit cell proliferation in MYCN-amplified neuroblastoma. Br J Cancer, 105, 296-303. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2011.220
- Bumgarner SL, Dowell RD, Grisafi P, Gifford DK, Fink GR (2009). Toggle involving cis-interfering noncoding RNAs controls variegated gene expreassion in yeast. Proc Natl Acad SciUSA, 106, 18321-6. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0909641106
- Chen DL, Wang DS, Wu WJ (2013). Overexpression of paxillin induced by miR-137 suppression promotes tumor progression and metastasis in colorectal cancer. Carcinogenesis, 34, 803-11. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgs400
- Chen K, Fan W, Wang X (2012). MicroRNA-101 mediates the suppressive effect of laminar shear stress on mTOR expression in vascularendothelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 427, 138-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2012.09.026
- Ding L, Hu XM, Wu H (2013). Combined transfection of Bcl-2 siRNA and miR-15a oligonucleotides enhanced methotrexate-induced apoptosis in Raji cells. Cancer Biol Med, 10, 16-21.
- Cho HM, Jeon HS , Lee SY (2011). microRNA-101 inhibits lung cancer invasion through the regulation of enhancer of zeste homolog 2. Exp Ther Med, 2, 963-7.
- Cui J, Eldredge JB, Xu Y, Puett D (2011). MicroRNA expression and regulation in human ovarian carcinoma cells by luteinizing hormone. PLoS One, 6, 21730. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0021730
- Dixon DA, Blanco FF, Bruno A, Patrignani P (2013) Mechanistic aspects of COX-2 expression in colorectal neoplasia. Recent Results Cancer Res, 191, 7-37. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-30331-9_2
- Dykxhoorn DM (2010). MicroRNAs and metastasis: little RNAs go a long way. Cancer Res, 70 , 6401-6. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-10-1346
- Forman D, de Martel C, Lacey CJ, et al (2012). Global burden of human papillomavirus and related diseases. Vaccine, 5, F12-23.
- Godlewski J, Nowicki MO, Bronisz A, et al (2008). Targeting of the Bmi-1 oncogene/stem cell renewal factor by microRNA-128 inhibits glioma proliferation and selfrenewal. Cancer Res, 68 , 9125-30. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-08-2629
- Hao Y, Gu X , Zhao Y, et al (2011) .Enforced expression of miR-101 inhibits prostate cancer cell growth by modulating the COX-2 pathway in vivo. Cancer Prev Res (Phila), 4, 1073-83. https://doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-10-0333
- He XP, Shao Y , Li XL, et al (2012). Downregulation of miR-101 in gastric cancer correlates with cyclooxygenase-2 overexpression and tumor growth. FEBS J, 279, 4201-12. https://doi.org/10.1111/febs.12013
- Hsia TC, Tu CY, Chen YJ, et al (2013). Lapatinib-mediated cyclooxygenase-2 expression via epidermal growth factor receptor/HuR interaction enhances the aggressiveness of triple-negative breast cancer cells. Mol Pharmacol, 83, 857-69. https://doi.org/10.1124/mol.112.082743
- Kefas B, Godlewski J, Comeau L, et al (2008). microRNA-7 inhibits the epidermal growth factor receptor and the Akt pathway and is down-regulated in glioblastoma. Cancer Res, 68, 3566-72. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-07-6639
- Hu Z, Lin Y , Chen H (2013). MicroRNA-101 suppresses motility of bladder cancer cells by targeting c-Met. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 435, 82-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2013.04.042
- Ivey KN and Srivastava D (2010). MicroRNAs as regulators of differentiation and cell fate decisions. Cell Stem Cell, 7, 36-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.stem.2010.06.012
- Jiang J, Gusev Y, Aderca I (2008). Association of MicroRNA expression in hepatocellular carcinomas with hepatitis infection, cirrhosis, and patient survival. Clin Cancer Res, 14, 419-27. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-0523
- Kim YK, Heo I and Kim VN (2010). Modifications of small RNAs and their associated proteins. Cell, 143, 703-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2010.11.018
- Krol J, Loedige I and Filipowicz W (2010). The widespread regulation of microRNA biogenesis, function and decay. Nat Rev Genet, 11, 597-610.
- Kumar S, Keerthana R, Pazhanimuthu A, Perumal P (2013). Overexpression of circulating miRNA-21 and miRNA-146a in plasma samples of breast cancer patients. Indian J Biochem Biophys, 50, 210-4.
- Lalaisuzuke, Peng YH, Zhou K, et al (2006). The analysis of pathogenetic tendency of cervical cancer in various ethnic women in Xinjiang. J Xinjiang Medl Univ, 7, 569-71.
- Li Y, Tan SQ, Ma QH (2013). CYP1B1 C4326G polymorphism and susceptibility to cervical cancer in Chinese Han women. Tumour Biol.
- MenterDG, Schilsky RL, DuBois RN (2010). Cyclooxygenase-2 and cancer treatment: understanding the risk should be worth the reward. Clin Cancer Res, 5, 1384-90.
- Semaan A, Qazi AM, Seward S, et al (2011). MicroRNA-101 inhibits growth of epithelial ovarian cancer by relieving chromatin-mediated transcriptional repression of p21 (waf1/cip1). Pharm Res, 28 , 3079-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11095-011-0547-x
- Palumbo S, Miracco C, Pirtoli L, Comincini S (2013). Emerging roles of microRNA in modulating cell-death processes in malignant glioma. J Cell Physiol, 10.1002/jcp.24446. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.24446
- Peralta-Zaragoza O, Deas J, Gomez-Ceron C (2013). HPV-Based screening, triage, treatment, and followup strategies in the management of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. Obstet Gynecol Int, 2013, 912780.
- Schwarzenbacher D, Balic M, Pichler M (2013). The role of microRNAs in breast cancer stem cells. Int J Mol Sci, 14, 14712-23. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms140714712
- Shen XH, Liu SH (2013). Human papillomavirus genotypes associated with mucopurulent cervicitis and cervical cancer in Hangzhou, China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3603-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3603
- Strillacci A, Griffoni C, Sansone P, et al (2009). MiR-101 downregulation is involved in cyclooxygenase-2 overexpression in human colon cancer cells. Exp Cell Res, 15, 1439-47.
- Su H, Yang JR, Xu T (2009). MicroRNA-101, down-regulated in hepatocellular carcinoma, promotes apoptosis and suppresses tumorigenicity. Cancer Res, 69, 1135-42.
- Tanaka T, Haneda S, Imakawa K, Sakai S, Nagaoka K. (2009). A microRNA, miR-101a, controls mammary gland development by regulating cyclooxygenase-2 expression. Differentiation, 77, 181-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diff.2008.10.001
- Wang HJ, Ruan HJ, He XJ, et al (2010). MicroRNA-101 is down-regulated in gastric cancer and involved in cell migration and invasion. Eur J Cancer, 46, 2295-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.05.012
- Yu Z, Baserga R, Chen L (2010). microRNA, cell cycle, and human breast cancer. Am J Pathol, 176 , 1058-64. https://doi.org/10.2353/ajpath.2010.090664
- Wang D, Dubois RN (2010). The role of COX-2 in intestinal inflammation and colorectal cancer. Oncogene, 29, 781-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2009.421
- Wu SY, Lin KC, Chiou JF (2013). MicroRNA-17-5p post-transcriptionally regulates p21 expression in irradiated betel quid chewing-related oral squamous cell carcinoma cells. Strahlenther Onkol, 189, 675-83. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00066-013-0347-9
- Xie H, Zhao Y, Caramuta S, Larsson C, Lui WO (2012). miR-205 expression promotes cell proliferation and migration of human cervical cancer cells. PLoS One, 7, e46990. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0046990
- Zhang JY, Yang J, Song NH (2013). Relationship between aberrant expression of miRNAs and prostate cancer. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue, 19, 657-61.
- Zhang Y, Guo X, Xiong L (2012). MicroRNA-101 suppresses SOX9-dependent tumorigenicity and promotes favorable prognosis of humanhepatocellular carcinoma. FEBS Lett, 586, 4362-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.febslet.2012.10.053
- miR-186 Regulates Glycolysis through Glut1 During the Formation of Cancer-associated Fibroblasts vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4245
- miR-200a Inhibits Tumor Proliferation by Targeting AP-2γ in Neuroblastoma Cells vol.15, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4671
- MiRNA-15a Mediates Cell Cycle Arrest and Potentiates Apoptosis in Breast Cancer Cells by Targeting Synuclein-γ vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6949
- The -765G>C Polymorphism in the Cyclooxygenase-2 Gene and Digestive System Cancer: a Meta-analysis vol.15, pp.19, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8301
- Oncogenic and tumor suppressive roles of microRNAs in apoptosis and autophagy vol.19, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10495-014-0999-7
- Effect of microRNA-101 on proliferation and apoptosis of human osteosarcoma cells by targeting mTOR vol.34, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11596-014-1369-y
- Role of microRNAs in cancers of the female reproductive tract: insights from recent clinical and experimental discovery studies vol.128, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1042/CS20140087
- MiR-323-5p acts as a Tumor Suppressor by Targeting the Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 Receptor in Human Glioma Cells vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10181
- A genetic variant of MDM4 influences regulation by multiple microRNAs in prostate cancer vol.22, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1530/ERC-15-0013
- Interleukin-1β-mediated suppression of microRNA-101 and upregulation of enhancer of zeste homolog 2 is involved in particle-induced lung cancer vol.32, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0387-8
- Paclitaxel combined with harmine inhibits the migration and invasion of gastric cancer cells through downregulation of cyclooxygenase‑2 expression pp.1792-1082, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2015.3425
- Deregulated miRNAs in human cervical cancer: functional importance and potential clinical use vol.13, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.2217/fon-2016-0328
- CASC2c as an unfavorable prognosis factor interacts with miR-101 to mediate astrocytoma tumorigenesis vol.8, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/cddis.2017.11
- gga-miR-101-3p Plays a Key Role in Mycoplasma gallisepticum (HS Strain) Infection of Chicken vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms161226121
- Heat shock factor 2 is associated with the occurrence of lung cancer by enhancing the expression of heat shock proteins vol.12, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.5368
- Protective effects of microRNA-431 against cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats by targeting the Rho/Rho-kinase signaling pathway vol.233, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.26394