- Volume 14 Issue 10
Background: To investigate the preventive and therapeutic potential of garlic oil on human pancreatic carcinoma cells. Methods: The 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyl-tetrazolium bromide (MTT) assay was performed to study the effects of garlic oil on three human pancreatic cancer cell lines, AsPC-1, Mia PaCa-2 and PANC-1. Cell cycle progression and apoptosis were detected by flow cytometry (FCM), staining with PI and annexin V-fluorescein isothiocyanate (FITC)/propidium iodide (PI), respectively. Morphologic changes of pancreatic cancer cells were observed under transmission electron microscopy (TEM) after treatment with garlic oil at low inhibitory concentrations (
Garlic oil;pancreatic carcinoma;AsPC-1 cells;proliferation;apoptosis
- Agarwal MK, Iqbal M, Athar M (2007). Garlic oil ameliorates ferric nitrilotriacetate (Fe-NTA)-induced damage and tumor promotion: implications for cancer prevention. Food Chem Toxicol, 45, 1634-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2007.02.029
- Altonsy MO, Andrews SC (2011). Diallyl disulphide, a beneficial component of garlic oil, causes a redistribution of cell-cycle growth phases, induces apoptosis, and enhances butyrate-induced apoptosis in colorectal adenocarcinoma cells (HT-29). Nutr Cancer, 63, 1104-13. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2011.601846
- Altonsy MO, Habib TN, Andrews SC (2012). Diallyl disulfide-induced apoptosis in a breast-cancer cell line (MCF-7) may be caused by inhibition of histone deacetylation. Nutr Cancer, 64, 1251-60. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2012.721156
- Amagase H, Petesch BL, Matsuura H, Kasuga S, Itakura Y (2001). Intake of garlic and its bioactive components. J Nutr, 131, S955-62.
- Arora A, Seth K, Shukla Y (2004). Reversal of P-glycoprotein-mediated multidrug resistance by diallyl sulfide in K562 leukemic cells and in mouse liver. Carcinogenesis, 25, 941-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgh060
- Butt MS, Sultan MT, Butt MS, Iqbal J (2009). Garlic: nature's protection against physiological threats. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr, 49, 538-51 https://doi.org/10.1080/10408390802145344
- Guo J, Lou W, Ji Y, Zhang S (2013). Effect of CCR7, CXCR4 and VEGF-C on the lymph node metastasis of human pancreaticductal adenocarcinoma. Oncol Lett, 5, 1572-8.
- Calvo-Gomez O, Morales-Lopez J, Lopez MG (2004). Solid-phase microextraction-gas chromatographic-mass spectrometric analysis of garlic oil obtained by hydrodistillation. J Chromatogr A, 1036, 91-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2004.02.072
- Choi YH, Park HS (2012). Apoptosis induction of U937 human leukemia cells by diallyl trisulfide induces through generation of reactive oxygen species. J Biomed Sci, 19, 50. https://doi.org/10.1186/1423-0127-19-50
Herman-Antosiewicz A, Kim YA, Kim SH, Xiao D, Singh SV (2010). Diallyl trisulfide-induced
$G_2/M$phase cell cycle arrest in DU145 cells is associated with delayed nuclear translocation of cyclin-dependent kinase 1. Pharm Res, 27, 1072-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11095-010-0060-7
- Hong YS, Ham YA, Choi JH, Kim J (2000). Effects of allyl sulfur compounds and garlic extract on the expression of Bcl-2, Bax, and p53 in non small cell lung cancer cell lines. Exp Mol Med, 32, 127-34. https://doi.org/10.1038/emm.2000.22
- Jiang CY, Wang W, Yin YL, Yuan ZR, Wang LB (2012). Expression of the adipocytokine resistin and its association with the clinicopathological features and prognosis of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Oncol Lett, 4, 960-4.
- Kim SH, Bommareddy A, Singh SV (2011). Garlic constituent diallyl trisulfide suppresses x-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein in prostate cancer cells in culture and in vivo. Cancer Prev Res (Phila), 4, 897-906. https://doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-10-0323
- Konkimalla VS, Wang G, Kaina B, Efferth T (2008). Microarray-based expression of DNA repair genes does not correlate with growth inhibition of cancer cells by natural products derived from traditional Chinese medicine. Cancer Genomics Proteomics, 5, 79-84.
- Miroddi M, Calapai F, Calapai G (2011). Potential beneficial effects of garlic in oncohematology. Mini Rev Med Chem, 11, 461-72. https://doi.org/10.2174/138955711795843293
- Lange F, Rateitschak K, Kossow C, Wolkenhauer O, Jaster R (2012). Insights into erlotinib action in pancreatic cancer cells using a combined experimental and mathematical approach. World J Gastroenterol, 18, 6226-34. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v18.i43.6226
- Lee BC, Park BH, Kim SY, Lee YJ (2011). Role of Bim in diallyl trisulfide-induced cytotoxicity in human cancer cells. J Cell Biochem, 112, 118-27. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.22896
- Liang WJ, Yan X, Zhang WD, Luo RC (2007). Garlic oil inhibits cyclin E expression in gastric adenocarcinoma cells. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao, 27, 1241-3.
- Powolny AA, Singh SV (2008). Multitargeted prevention and therapy of cancer by diallyl trisulfide and related Allium vegetable-derived organosulfur compounds. Cancer Lett, 269, 305-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2008.05.027
- Qi F, Li A, Inagaki Y, et al (2010). Chinese herbal medicines as adjuvant treatment during chemo- or radio-therapy for cancer. Biosci Trends, 4, 297-307.
- Ren C, Chen H, Han C, Wang D, Fu D (2012). Increased plasma microRNA and CD133/CK18-positive cancer cells in the pleural fluid of a pancreatic cancer patient with liver and pleural metastases and correlation with chemoresistance. Oncol Lett, 4, 691-4.
- Rivlin RS (2009). Can garlic reduce risk of cancer? Am J Clin Nutr, 89, 17-8.
- Shin DY, Kim GY, Kim JI, et al (2010). Anti-invasive activity of diallyl disulfide through tightening of tight junctions and inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase activities in LNCaP prostate cancer cells. Toxicol In Vitro, 24, 1569-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2010.06.014
- Wang HC, Pao J, Lin SY, Sheen LY (2012). Molecular mechanisms of garlic-derived allyl sulfides in the inhibition of skin cancer progression. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 1271, 44-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2012.06743.x
- Shin HA, Cha YY, Park MS, Kim JM, Lim YC (2010). Diallyl sulfide induces growth inhibition and apoptosis of anaplastic thyroid cancer cells by mitochondrial signaling pathway. Oral Oncol, 46, e15-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2009.10.012
- Szepeshazi K, Schally AV, Block NL, et al (2013). Powerful Inhibition of Experimental Human Pancreatic Cancers by Receptor Targeted Cytotoxic LH-RH analog AEZS-108. Oncotarget, 4, 751-60.
- Velliyagounder K, Ganeshnarayan K, Velusamy SK, Fine DH (2012). In vitro efficacy of diallyl sulfides against the periodontopathogen Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans. Antimicrob Agents Chemother, 56, 2397-407. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.00020-12
- Won E, Yu KH, Shamseddine A, et al (2013). Management of a patient diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and myelodysplastic syndrome. Gastrointest Cancer Res, 6, 56-60.
- Wu CC, Sheen LY, Chen HW, et al (2002). Differential effects of garlic oil and its three major organosulfur components on the hepatic detoxification system in rats. J Agric Food Chem, 50, 378-83. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf010937z
- Zhang CL, Zeng T, Zhao XL, et al (2012). Protective effects of garlic oil on hepatocarcinoma induced by N-nitrosodiethylamine in rats. Int J Biol Sci, 8, 363-74. https://doi.org/10.7150/ijbs.3796
- TRAIL Mediated Signaling in Pancreatic Cancer vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.5977
Supported by : Natural Science Foundation of China