- Volume 14 Issue 10
Incidence/mortality of liver cancer follow logistic curves because there is a limit reflecting the prevalence of hepatitis virus carriers in the cohort. The author fitted logistic curves to incidence/mortality data covering the nine five-year cohorts born in 1911-1955 of both sexes. Goodness-of-fit of logistic curves was sufficiently precise to be used for future predictions. Younger cohorts born in 1936 or later were predicted to show constant decline in incidence/mortality in the future. The male cohort born in 1931-35 showed an elevated incidence/mortality of liver cancer early in their lives supporting the previous claim that this particular cohort had suffered massive HCV infection due to nation-wide drug abuse in the 1950s. Declining case-fatality observed in younger cohorts suggested improved treatment of liver cancer. This study demonstrated that incidence/mortality of liver cancer follow logistic curves and fitted logistic formulae can be used for future prediction. Given the predicted decline of incidence/mortality in younger cohorts, liver cancer is likely to be lost to history in the not-so-distant future.
Liver cancer;incidence;mortality;cohort analysis;logistic curve
- Alexander JW (2013). Japan's hiropon panic: resident non-Japanese and the 1950s meth crisis. Int J Drug Policy, 24, 238-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2012.12.001
- Altekruse SF, McGlynn KA, Reichman ME (2009). Hepatocellular Carcinoma Incidence, Mortality, and Survivla Trends in the United States From 1975 to 2005. J Clinical Oncol, 27, 1485-91. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.20.7753
- Matsuda T, Marugame TY, Kamo KI, et al (2011). Cancer incidence and incidence rates in Japan in 2005: based on data from 12 population-based cancer registries in the Monitoring of Cancer Incidence in Japan (MCIJ) Project. Japanese J Clinical Oncol, 41, 139-47 https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyq169
- Qiao ZK, Che XG, Huang HQ, et al (1989). Study of logistic curve fitting for primary liver cancer death rate in Chengdu. Hua Xi Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao, 20, 437-40.
- Tanaka J, Koyama T, Mizui M, et al (2011). Total number of Undiagnosed Carriers of Hepatitis C and B viruses in Japan Estimated by Age-and Area-Specific Prevalence on the National Scale. Intervirol, 54, 185-95. https://doi.org/10.1159/000324525
- Tsukuma H, Tanaka H, Ajiki W, Oshima A (2005). Liver cancer and its prevention. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 244-50.
- Comparison of Viral Hepatitis-Associated Hepatocellular Carcinoma Due to HBV and HCV - Cohort from Liver Clinics in Pakistan vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7563
- Mortality of Major Cancers in Guangxi, China: Sex, Age and Geographical Differences from 1971 and 2005 vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1567