- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Breast Cancer Risk and Early Diagnosis Applications in Turkish Women Aged 50 and Over
- Ceber, Esin (Department of Midwifery, Ege University Izmir Ataturk School of Health) ;
- Mermer, Gulengul (Ege University Faculty of Nursing) ;
- Okcin, Figen (Ege University Faculty of Nursing) ;
- Sari, Dilek (Ege University Faculty of Nursing) ;
- Demireloz, Mahide (Department of Midwifery, Ege University Izmir Ataturk School of Health) ;
- Eksioglu, Aysun (Department of Midwifery, Ege University Izmir Ataturk School of Health) ;
- Ogce, Filiz (Ege University Faculty of Nursing) ;
- Cakır, Dilek (Ege University Faculty of Nursing) ;
- Ozenturk, Gulsun (Department of Midwifery, Ege University Izmir Ataturk School of Health)
- Published : 2013.10.30
Background: The aim of the study was to determine breast cancer risk and early diagnosis applications in women aged
Breast cancer;breast cancer risk factors;early diagnosis;breast self examination;mammography
- Avci IA (2007). The health beliefs relating to mammography of midwives and nurses. J Breast Health, 3, 4-9.
- Abu-Rustum NR, Herbolsheimer H (2001). Breast cancer risk assessment in indigent women at a public hospita. Gynecologic Oncol, 81, 287-90. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.2001.6160
- Achat H, Close G, Taylor R (2005). Who has regular mammograms? Effects of knowledge, belief, socioeconomic status, and health-related factors. Prev Med, 41, 312-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.11.016
- Adams-Campbell LL, Makambi KH, Frederick WA, et al (2009). Breast cancer risk assessments comparing Gail and CARE models in African-American women. Breast J, 15, 72-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2009.00824.x
- Ahmad F, Stewart DE (2004). Predictors of clinical breast examination among south asian immigrant women. J Immigrant Hlth, 6, 119-26. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JOIH.0000030227.41379.13
- Al-Naggar RA, Bobryshev YV (2012). Practice and barriers of mammography among Malaysian women in the general population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3595-600. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3595
- Aydemir G, Sogukpinar N, Turkistanli EC (2003). Prevention and health education: how recent advances in the science and art of health education have been applied in practical ways within medical and other settings for prevention and public health. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 4, 71-4.
- Balducci L, Extermann M (2000). Cancer and aging. An evolving panorama. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am, 14, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-8588(05)70274-4
- Bilgic D, Yildirim G, Daglar G, et al (2005). A learning guide to practical skills for nurses and midwives, Publications of Cumhuriyet University, No:99.
- Claus E, Schildkraut BJ, Iversen ES, et al (1998). Effect of BRCA1 and BRCA2 on the association between breast cancer risk and family history. J Nat Cancer Inst, 90, 1824-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/90.23.1824
- Demireloz M, Ceber E, Ozenturk G (2010). Midwives roles in women's improvement of protective behaviour against breast cancer whether they have a family history of cancer or not. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1-6.
- Ceber E, Ciceklioglu M, Turk Soyer M, et al (2005). Use of peer-educators in the education of nurses/midwifes working in primary care centers; experience on the development of an education program about the early diagnosis of breast cancer. STED J, 14, 249-55.
- David M, Ko M, Prudent LN et all (2005). Mammography use. J Natl Med Assoc, 97, 253-61.
- Davis C, Emerson JS, Husaini BA (2005). Breast cancer screening among African American women: adherence to current recommendations. J Health Care Poor Underserved, 16, 308-14. https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.2005.0024
- Discigil G, Sensoy N, Tekin N, et al (2007). Breast health: knowledge, behaviour and performance in a group of women living in the aegean region. Marmara Medical Journal, 20, 29-36.
- Dumitrescu RG, Cotarla I (2005). Understanding breast cancer risk-where do we stand in 2005? J Cell Mol Med, 9, 208-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1582-4934.2005.tb00350.x
- Dundar PE, Ozmen D, Ozturk B, et al (2006). The knowledge and attitudes of breast self-examination and mammography in a group of women in a rural area in western Turkey. BMC Cancer, 6, 43. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-6-43
- Elmore JG, Fletcher SW (2006). The risk of cancer risk prediction: what is my risk of getting breast cancer. J Nat Cancer Inst, 98, 1673-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djj501
- Euhus, DM (2001). Understanding mathematical models for breast cancer risk assessment and counseling. Breast J, 7, 224-32. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1524-4741.2001.20012.x
- Parkin DM, Fernandez LMG (2006). Use of statistics to assess the global burden of breast cancer, global epidemiologic methods. Breast J, 12, 70-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1075-122X.2006.00205.x
- Mermer G, Meseri R (2011). Evaluation of breast cancer risk status of women aged 40 and above, living in Kemalpasa District, Izmir. STED J, 20, 51-6.
- Graubard BI, Freedman AN, Gail MH (2010). Five-year and lifetime risk of breast cancer among U.S. subpopulations: implications for magnetic resonance imaging screening. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19, 2430-6. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0324
- Karayurt O, Dicle A, Malak AT (2009). Effects of peer and group education on knowledge, beliefs and breast self-examination practice among university students in Turkey. Turk J Med Sci, 39, 59-66.
- Kelley MA (2004). Culturally appropriate breast health educational intervention program for African-American women. J Natl Black Nurses Assoc, 15, 36-47.
- Moore MA, Tajima K, Anh PTH, et al (2003). Grand challenges in global health and the practical prevention program? Asian focus on cancer prevention in females of the developing world. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 4, 153-65.
- Moskowitz JM, Kazinets G, Wong JM, et al (2007). Health is strength: a community health education program to improve breast and cervical cancer screening among Korean American women in Alameda country California. Cancer Detection and Prev, 31, 173-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2007.02.002
- Oluwatosin OA (2010). Assessment of women's risk factors for breast cancer and predictors of the practice of breastexamination in two rural areas near Ibadan, Nigeria. Cancer Epidemiol, 34, 425-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2010.04.005
- Parkin DM, Fernandez LM (2006). Use of statistics to assess the global burden of breast cancer. Breast J, 2, 70-80.
- Parsa P, Kandiah M, Zulkefli NA, et al (2008). Knowledge and Behavior Regarding Breast Cancer Screening among Female Teachers in Selangor. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 221-8.
- Secginli S, Nahcivan NO (2004). Reliability and validity of the breast cancer screening belief scale among Turkish women. Cancer Nurs, 27, 287-94. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200407000-00005
- Selvin E, Brett KM (2003). Breast and cervical cancer screening: sociodemographic predictors among white, black, and hispanic women. Am J Public Hlth, 93, 618-23. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.93.4.618
- Sheppard VB, Makambi K, Taylor T, et al (2011). Physical activity reduces breast cancer risk in African American women. Ethn Dis, 21, 406-11.
- Slusarska B, Zarzycka D, Wysokinski M, et al (2010). Health behaviours and cancer prevention among polish women. Eur Cancer Care, 19, 786-94. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2009.01143.x
- Uskent N (2003). Natural history of breast cancer, development, risk factors, distribution and epidemiology of the world: the light of breast cancer patients. Astra Zeneca Ilac San, 1-14.
- World Health Organization (2002). National Cancer Control Programmes Policies and Managerial Guidelines. 2nd Edition, Geneva.
- Yavan TA, Akyuz N, Tosun, et al (2010). Women's breast cancer risk perception and attitudes toward screening tests. Psychosoc Oncol, 28, 189-201. https://doi.org/10.1080/07347330903570453
- Lack of Prognostic Value of Blood Parameters in Patients Receiving Adjuvant Radiotherapy for Breast Cancer vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4225
- Awareness and Practices Regarding Breast and Cervical Cancer among Turkish Women in Gazientep vol.15, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1093
- Family History Attributes and Risk Factors for Breast Cancer in Turkey vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2841
- Assessment of the Effects of Breast Cancer Training on Women Between the Ages of 50 and 70 in Kemalpasa, Turkey vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10749
- Breast Cancer Risk Assessment Using the Gail Model: a Turkish Study vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.303
- Incidence and Mortality of Breast Cancer and their Relationship to Development in Asia vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.6081
- Awareness and current knowledge of breast cancer vol.50, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40659-017-0140-9