- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Disease Free Survival among Molecular Subtypes of Early Stage Breast Cancer between 2001 and 2010 in Iran
- Najafi, Behrouz (Hematology and Oncology Research Center, Razi Hospital, School of Medicine, Guilan University of Medical Science) ;
- Anvari, Saeid (Hematology and Oncology Research Center, Razi Hospital, School of Medicine, Guilan University of Medical Science) ;
- Roshan, Zahra Atrkar (Hematology and Oncology Research Center, Razi Hospital, School of Medicine, Guilan University of Medical Science)
- Published : 2013.10.30
Background: Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women. Molecular subtypes are important in determining prognosis. This study evaluated five-year disease-free survival among four molecular subtypes in patients with early stages of breast cancer. Materials and Methods: In this retrospective descriptive-analytical study, information on patients with breast cancer between 2001-2010 was evaluated. Five hundred ninety two patients in the early stages of breast cancer (stages 1 and 2) were selected to undergo anthracycline-based chemotherapy. Relapse, death or absence (censor) were considered as the end of the study. Patients based on ER, PR and HER-2 expression were divided into four subtypes (luminal A, luminal B, HER-2 enriched and triple negative). Information based upon questionnaire was analysed. To show the patients survival rate, life table and Kaplan-Meyer methods were used, and for comparing mean survival among different groups, the Log-Rank test was utilized. Results: Mean age at diagnosis was
Breast cancer;molecular subtypes;disease free survival rate;early stages;anthracycline chemotherapy
- Caudle AS, Yu TK, Tucker SL, et al (2012). Local-regional control according to surrogate markers of breast cancer subtypes and response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients undergoing breast conserving therapy. Breast Cancer Res, 14, 83. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr3198
- Allred DC, Harvey JM, Berardo M, Clark GM (1998). Prognostic and predictive factors in breast cancer by immunohistochemical analysis. Mod Pathol, 2, 155-68.
- Bair E, Tibshirani R (2004). Semi-supervised methods to predict patient survival from gene expression data. PLoS Biol, 4, 108.
- Bennis S, Abbass F, Akasbi Y, et al (2012). Prevalence of molecular subtypes and prognosis of invasive breast cancer in north-east of Morocco: retrospective study. BMC Res Notes, 5, 436. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-5-436
- Blows FM, Driver KE, Schmidt MK, et al (2010). Subtyping of breast cancer by immunohistochemistry to investigate a relationship between subtype and short and long term survival: a collaborative analysis of data for 10,159 cases from 12 studies. PLoS Med, 5, 1000279.
- Carey LA, Dees EC, Sawyer L, et al (2007). The triple negative paradox: primary tumor chemosensitivity of breast cancer subtypes. Clin Cancer Res, 13, 2329-34. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-1109
- Chen XS, Ma CD, Wu JY, et al (2010). Molecular subtype approximated by quantitative estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor and Her2 can predict the prognosis of breast cancer. Tumori, 96, 103-10.
- Haghighat S, ME Akbari ME, Ghaffari S, Yavari P (2012). Standardized breast cancer mortality rate compared to the general female population of Iran. Asian Pac Cancer Prev, 13, 5525-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5525
- Jana D, Mandal S, Mukhopadhyay M, et al (2012). Prognostic Significance of HER-2/neu and survival of breast cancer patients attending a specialized breast clinic in Kolkata, Eastern India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3851-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3851
- Layfield LJ, Saria E, Mooney EE, Liu K, Dodge RR (1998). Tissue heterogeneity of immunohistochemically detected estrogen receptor. Implications for image analysis quantification. Am J Clin Pathol, 110, 758-64.
- Kadivar M, Mafi N, Joulaee A, Shamshiri A, Hosseini N (2012). Breast cancer molecular subtypes and associations with clinicopathological characteristics in Iranian women. Asian Pac Cancer Prev, 13, 1881-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1881
- Khokher S, Qureshi MU, Mahmood S, Nagi AH (2013). Association of immunoistochemically defined molecular subtypes with clinical response to presurgical chemotherapy in patients with advanced breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3223-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3223
- King WJ, Greene GL (1984). Monoclonal antibodies localize oestrogen receptor in the nuclei of target cells. Nature, 307, 745-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/307745a0
- Millar EK, Graham PH, O'Toole SA, et al (2009). Prediction of local recurrence, distant metastases, and death after breast-conserving therapy in early-stage invasive breast cancer using a five-biomarker panel. J Clin Oncol, 27, 4701-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.21.7075
- Noh JM, Choi DH, Huh SJ, et al (2011). Patterns of recurrence after breast-conserving treatment for early stage breast cancer by molecular subtype. J Breast Cancer, 14, 46-51. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2011.14.1.46
- Prat A, Parker JS, Karginova O, et al (2010). Phenotypic and molecular characterization of the claudin-low intrinsic subtype of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res, 12, 68. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr2635
- Ross JS, Fletcher JA, Bloom KJ, et al (2004). Targeted therapy in breast cancer: the HER-2/neu gene and protein. Mol Cell Proteomics, 3, 379-98. https://doi.org/10.1074/mcp.R400001-MCP200
- Voduc KD, Cheang MCU, Tyldesley S, et al (2010). Breast cancer subtypes and the risk of local and regional relapse. JCO, 28,1684-91. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.24.9284
- Rouzier R, Perou CM, Symmans WF, et al (2005). Breast cancer molecular subtypes respond differently to preoperative chemotherapy. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 5678-85. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-2421
- Sorlie T, Perou CM, Tibshirani R, et al (2001). Gene expression patterns of breast carcinomas distinguish tumor subclasses with clinical implications. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 98, 10869-74. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.191367098
- Su Y, Zheng Y, Zheng W, et al (2010). Distinct distribution and prognostic significance of molecular subtypes of breast cancer in Chinese women: a population-based cohort study. BMC Cancer, 11, 292.
- Webster LR, Lee SF, Ringland C, et al (2008). Poor-prognosis estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer identified by histopathologic subclassification. Clin Cancer Res, 14, 6625-33. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-0701
- Estimation of the Cure Rate in Iranian Breast Cancer Patients vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4839
- Breast Cancer Recurrence According to Molecular Subtype vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5539
- Clinicopathological Features of Indonesian Breast Cancers with Different Molecular Subtypes vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6109
- Five Year Survival of Women with Breast Cancer in Yazd vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6597
- Comparison of Inhibitory Effects of 17-AAG Nanoparticles and Free 17-AAG on HSP90 Gene Expression in Breast Cancer vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7113
- Fulvestrant 250mg versus Anastrozole 1 mg in the Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer: a Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2095
- Demographic Survey of Four Thousand Patients with 10 Common Cancers in North Eastern Iran over the Past Three Decades vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10193
- Fitting Cure Rate Model to Breast Cancer Data of Cancer Research Center vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7923
- Expression of Breast Cancer Subtypes Based on the Most Important Biomarkers: Comparison of Clinicopathological Factors and Survival vol.20, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.57931
- Assessing the prognostic factors, survival, and recurrence incidence of triple negative breast cancer patients, a single center study in Iran vol.14, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0208701