- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Clinical Observation of Whole Brain Radiotherapy Concomitant with Targeted Therapy for Brain Metastasis in Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Patients with Chemotherapy Failure
- Cai, Yong (Department of Radiation Oncology, Shanghai Pulmonary Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine) ;
- Wang, Ji-Ying (Department of Oncology, Shanghai Pulmonary Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine) ;
- Liu, Hui (Department of Radiation Oncology, Shanghai Pulmonary Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine)
- Published : 2013.10.30
Objective: To investigate the clinical effects of whole brain radiotherapy concomitant with targeted therapy for brain metastasis in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients with chemotherapy failure. Materials and Methods: Of the 157 NSCLC patients with chemotherapy failure followed by brain metastasis admitted in our hospital from January 2009 to August 2012, the combination group (65 cases) were treated with EGFR-TKI combined with whole brain radiotherapy while the radiotherapy group (92 cases) were given whole brain radiotherapy only. Short-term effects were evaluated based on the increased MRI in brain 1 month after whole brain radiotherapy. Intracranial hypertension responses, hematological toxicity reactions and clinical effects of both groups were observed. Results: There were more adverse reactions in the combination group than in radiotherapy group, but no significant differences were observed between the two groups in response rate (RR) and disease control rate (DCR) (P>0.05). Medium progression free survival (PFS), medium overall survival (OS) and 1-year survival rate in combination group were 6.0 months, 10.6 months and 42.3%, while in the radiotherapy group they were 3.4 months, 7.7 months and 28.0%, respectively, which indicated that there were significant differences in PFS and OS between the two groups (P<0.05). Additionally, RPA grading of each factor in the combination group was a risk factor closely related with survival, with medium PFS in EGFR and KRAS mutation patients being 8.2 months and 11.2 months, and OS being 3.6 months and 6.3 months, respectively. Conclusions: Whole brain radiotherapy concomitant with target therapy is favorable for adverse reaction tolerance and clinical effects, being superior in treating brain metastasis in NSCLC patients with chemotherapy failure and thus deserves to be widely applied in the clinic.
Non-small cell lung cancer;brain metastasis;whole brain radiotherapy;targeted therapy;clinical effect
- Dziggel L, Segedin B, Podvrsnik NH, et al (2013). A survival score for patients with brain metastases from less radiosensitive tumors treated with whole-brain radiotherapy alone. Strahlenther Onkol, Epub ahead of print.
- Brown PD, Pugh S, Laack NN, et al (2013). Memantine for the prevention of cognitive dysfunction in patients receiving whole-brain radiotherapy: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Neuro Oncol, 15, 1429-37. https://doi.org/10.1093/neuonc/not114
- Colquhoun AJ, Mchugh LA, Tulchinsky E, et al (2007). Combination treatment with ionising radiation and gefitinib (Iressa, ZD1839), an epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) inhibitor, significantly inhibits bladder cancer cell growth in vitro and in vivo. J Radiat Res, 48, 351-360. https://doi.org/10.1269/jrr.07014
- Chamberlain MC (2013). Should erlotinib be coadministered with whole-brain radiotherapy in patients with brain metastases and non-small-cell lung cancer? J Clin Oncol, 31, 3164-5. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2013.50.0710
- Gianfranco A, Pesce, Dirk Klingbiel, et al (2012). Outcome, Quality of life and congnitive function of patients with brain metastases from non-small cell lung cancer treated with whole brain radiotherapy combined with gefitinib or temozolomide. A randomized phase II trial of the Swiss Group fro Clinical Cancer Research (SAKK 70/03). Eur J Cancer, 48, 377-384. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2011.10.016
- Harth S, Abo-Madyan Y, Zheng L, et al (2013). Estimation of intracranial failure risk following hippocampal-sparing whole brain radiotherapy. Radiother Oncol, Epub ahead of print.
- Liu YC, Zhou SB, Gao F, et al (2013). Chemotherapy and late course three dimensional conformal radiotherapy for treatment of patients with stage III non- small cell lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2663-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2663
- Hassler MR, Pfeifer W, Knocke-Abulesz TH, et al (2013). Temozolomide added to whole brain radiotherapy in patients with multiple brain metastases of non-small-cell lung cancer: a multicentric Austrian phase II study. Wien Klin Wochenschr, 125, 481-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00508-013-0402-7
- Lao CD, Friedman J, Tsien CI, et al (2013). Concurrent whole brain radiotherapy and bortezomib for brain metastasis. Radiat Oncol, 8, 204. https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-717X-8-204
- Li CG, Huang XE, Xu L, et al (2012). Clinical application of serum tumor associated material (TAM) from non-small cell lung cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 301-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.301
- Miyata H, Sasaki T, Kuwahara K, et al (2006). The effects of ZD1839 (Iressa), a highly selective EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor,as a radiosensitiser in bile duct carcinoma cell lines. Int J Oncol, 28, 915 -921.
- Morris PG, Correa DD, Yahalom J, et al (2013). Rituximab, methotrexate, procarbazine, and vincristine followed by consolidation reduced-dose whole-brain radiotherapy and cytarabine in newly diagnosed primary CNS lymphoma: final results and long-term outcome. J Clin Oncol, Epub ahead of print.
- Natukula K, Jamil K, Pingali UR, et al (2013). Survival analysis in advanced non small cell lung cancer treated with platinum based chemotherapy in combination with Paclitaxel, gemcitabine and Etoposide. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4661-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4661
- Windsor AA, Koh ES, Allen S, et al (2013). Poor Outcomes after Whole Brain Radiotherapy in Patients with Brain Metastases: Results from an International Multicentre Cohort Study. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol), 25, 674-680. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clon.2013.07.002
- Shaw MG, Ball DL (2013). Treatment of Brain Metastases in Lung Cancer: Strategies to Avoid/Reduce Late Complications of Whole Brain Radiation Therapy. Curr Treat Options Oncol, Epub ahead of print.
- Shenglin Ma, Yaping Xu, Qinghua Deng, et al (2009). Treatment of brain metastasis from non-small cell lung cancer with whole brain radiotherapy and Gefitinib in a Chinese population. Lung Cancer, 65, 198-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2008.10.028
- Truc G, Martin E, Mirjolet C, et al (2013). What place for the whole brain radiotherapy with hippocampal-sparing. Cancer Radiother, 17, 419-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canrad.2013.06.042
- Welsh JW, Komaki R, Amini A, et al (2013). Phase II trial of erlotinib plus concurrent whole-brain radiation therapy for patients with brain metastases from non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 31, 895-902. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.40.1174
- Zhang XP, Li JK, Huang LJ, et al (2007). Preliminary results of Erlotinib concomitant with radiation therapy for non-small cell lung cancer patients with multiple brain metastasis. Chin J Neuro Oncol, 5, 180-2.
- Meta-analysis of Six Randomized Control Trials of Chemotherapy Plus Anti-HER Monoclonal Antibody for Advanced Gastric and Gastroesophageal Cancer vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5343
- Radiosensitization Effect of Overexpression of Adenovirus-mediated SIRT6 on A549 Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Cells vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7297
- Expression of ERCC1, RRM1 and LRP in Non-small Cell Lung Cancers and their Influence on Chemotherapeutic Efficacy of Gemcitabine Concomitant with Nedaplatin vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7303
- Survival of Brain Metastatic Patients in Yazd, Iran vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3571
- Brain Metastases from Solid Tumors: an Institutional Study from South India vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5401
- Prognostic Factors in Patients with Non-small Cell Lung Carcinoma and Brain Metastases: a Malaysian Perspective vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1901
- Prognostic factors in patients treated with stereotactic image-guided robotic radiosurgery for brain metastases: a single-center retrospective analysis of 223 patients vol.39, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10143-016-0718-7
- Radiotherapy plus EGFR TKIs in non-small cell lung cancer patients with brain metastases: an update meta-analysis vol.5, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.673
- Combined irradiation and targeted therapy or immune checkpoint blockade in brain metastases: toxicities and efficacy pp.1569-8041, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdx408
- gene mutations and EGF receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors vol.11, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.2217/fon.15.156
- Concurrent versus sequential whole brain radiotherapy and TKI in EGFR-mutated NSCLC patients with brain metastasis vol.97, pp.44, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000013014
- : review of the latest research vol.40, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/08923973.2018.1441301