- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Incidence and Mortality from Mucosal Head and Neck Cancers amongst Australian States and Territories: What It Means for the Northern Territory
- Singh, Jagtar (School of Psychological and Clinical Sciences, Charles Darwin University) ;
- Jayaraj, Rama (School of Psychological and Clinical Sciences, Charles Darwin University) ;
- Baxi, Siddhartha (Genesis Health Care Bunbury) ;
- Ramamoorthi, Ramya (Menzies School of Health Research) ;
- Thomas, Mahiban (Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Genesis Health Care Bunbury)
- Published : 2013.10.30
Mucosal head and neck cancers are squamous cell carcinomas that develop in the upper-aero digestive epithelium. Together they constitute the sixth most common cancer with an estimated 900,000 new cases and 350,000 deaths each year reported worldwide. The risk factors are tobacco, alcohol and human papillomavirus (HPV). Our research team initially reported a high incidence rate of HNC in the indigenous population of the Northern Territory. Mortality rates also vary in the Australian States and Territories, with particularly high mortality observed in the Northern Territory. There is a paucity of incidence studies of HNC for the Australian States and Territories. Therefore this review primarily focuses on variation in incidence and mortality iacross the country and highlights specifically the high incidence and mortality in the Northern Territory. Attention is also given to sex-specific incidence and mortality rates.
Head and neck cancer;incidence rate;international classification disease;mortality rate;risk factors
- ACT Cancer Registry (2009). Cancer in the ACT Incidence and Mortality 2009. Canberra: ACT Cancer Registry.
- Aitken R, Morrell S, Barraclough H, et al (2008). Cancer Incidence and Mortality Projections in New South Wales: 2007 to 2011. New South Wales: Cancer Institute NSW.
- Argiris A, Eng C (2004). Epidemiology, staging, and screening of head and neck cancer. Head and neck cancer, 114, 15-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/0-306-48060-3_2
- Attar E, Dey S, Hablas A, et al (2010). Head and neck cancer in a developing country: a population-based perspective across 8 years. Oral Oncol, 46, 591-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2010.05.002
- Australian Government and Cancer Registry (2006). Cancer in Australia 2006. Canberra: Australia Government Cancer Registry.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2004). Cancer in Australia 2001:Cancer series no. 28. Canberra: AIHW cat No. CAN 23.
- Blot W J, McLaughlin JK, Winn DM, et al (1988). Smoking and drinking in relation to oral and pharyngeal cancer. Cancer Res, 48, 3282.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2005). Cancer incidence projections Australia 2002 to 2011. Canberra: Australasian Association of Cancer Registries and National Cancer Strategies Group.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2008). Cancer in Australia: an overview 2008. Canberra: Australasian Association of Cancer Registries.
- Basu R, Mandal S, Ghosh A, et al (2008). Role of tobacco in the development of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma in an eastern Indian population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 381-6.
- Cancer Concil Victoria (2010). Cancer in Victoria 2007. Victoria: Cancer Epidemology Center.
- Cataldo JK, Dubey S, Prochaska JJ (2010). Smoking cessation: an integral part of lung cancer treatment. Oncol, 78, 289-301. https://doi.org/10.1159/000319937
- Cunningham J, Rumbold AR, Zhang X, et al (2008). Incidence, aetiology, and outcomes of cancer in Indigenous peoples in Australia. Lancet Oncol, 9, 585-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70150-5
- Department of Health (2011). Incidence and mortality of head and neck cancer in Northern Territory 2007. In: Singh J (ed). Northern Territory: Northern Territory Govenment.
- Dobrossy L (2005). Epidemiology of head and neck cancer: magnitude of the problem. Cancer Met Rev, 24, 9-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10555-005-5044-4
- Franceschi S, Bidoli E, Negri E, et al (1994). Alcohol and cancers of the upper aerodigestive tract in men and women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 3, 299-304.
- Johnson-Obaseki S, McDonald JT, Corsten M, et al (2012). Head and neck cancer in Canada: trends 1992 to 2007. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 147, 74-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/0194599812437332
- Gillison ML (2004). Human papillomavirus-associated head and neck cancer is a distinct epidemiologic, clinical, and molecular entity. Semin Oncol, 31, 744-54. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.seminoncol.2004.09.011
- Hocking JS, Stein A, Conway EL, et al (2011). Head and neck cancer in Australia between 1982 and 2005 show increasing incidence of potentially HPV-associated oropharyngeal cancers. Br J Cancer, 104, 886-91. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6606091
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) (2010). Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide in 2008. Globocan.
- Maestro R, Dolcetti R, Gasparotto D, et al (1992). High frequency of p53 gene alterations associated with protein overexpression in human squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx. Oncogene, 7, 1159.
- Marur S, D'Souza G, Westra WH, et al (2010). HPV-associated head and neck cancer: a virus-related cancer epidemic. Lancet oncol, 11, 781-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(10)70017-6
- Moore S, O'Rourke P, Mallitt K, et al (2010). Cancer incidence and mortality in Indigenous Australians in Queensland 1997-2006. Med J Aust, 193, 590-3.
- Park JH, Slack-Smith L, Smith A, et al (2011). Knowledge and perceptions regarding oral and pharyngeal carcinoma among adult dental patients. Aust Dental J, 56, 284-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.2011.01342.x
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Parrish K, Higuchi S, Lucas L (1993). Increased alcohol-related oesophageal cancer mortality rates in Japanese men. Int J epidemiol, 22, 600. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/22.4.600
- Silveira A, Goncalves J, Sequeira T, et al (2012). Head and neck cancer: health related quality of life assessment considering clinical and epidemiological perspectives. Br J epidemiol, 15, 38-48. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1415-790X2012000100004
- Pink B (2006). Population distribution, Aboriginal and Torres Straits Islander Australian Bureau of statistics 47050. www.abs.gov.au.
- Queensland Cancer Registry (2010). Cancer in Queensland 1982-2007 incidencen, Mortality, Survival and Prevalence. cancer concil Queensland.
- Rezende TM, de Souza Freire M, Franco OL (2010). Head and neck cancer: proteomic advances and biomarker achievements. Cancer, 116, 4914-25. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25245
- Skov SJ, Chikritzhs TN, Li SQ, et al (2010). How much is too much? Alcohol consumption and related harm in the Northern Territory. Med J Aust, 193, 269-72.
- Somers KD, Merrick MA, Lopez ME, et al (1992). Frequent p53 mutations in head and neck cancer. Cancer Res, 52, 5996-6000.
- South Australian Cancer Registry (2010). Cancer in South Australia 2007. South Australia: Epidemology Branch, South Australian Department of Health.
- Tasmanian Cancer Registry (2010). Cancer in Tasmania 2007. Tasmania: Tasmanian Cancer Registry.
- Thomas M, Singh J, Scott C, et al (2011). Head and Neck Malignancy In The Northern Territory. Internet J Head and Neck Surg, 4, 2.
- Viswanathan H, Wilson JA (2004). Alcohol - the neglected risk factor in head and neck cancer. Clinl Otolaryngol & Allied Sci, 29, 295-300. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2273.2004.00830.x
- Warnakulasuriya S (2009). Global epidemiology of oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Oral oncol, 45, 309-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2008.06.002
- Western Australia Cancer Registry (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Western Australia, 2007. In: Department oh Health Perth. Western Australia (ed). Perth.
- Trends in Incidence of Head and Neck Cancer in the Northern Territory, Australia, between 2007 and 2010 vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7753
- A prospective comparison of times to presentation and treatment of regional and remote head and neck patients in North Queensland, Australia vol.46, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/imj.13138