- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Efficacy of Multiple Low-dose Photodynamic TMPYP4 Therapy on Cervical Cancer Tumour Growth in Nude Mice
- Liu, Ai-Hong (Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University) ;
- Sun, Xuan (Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, The Affiliated Hiser Medical Group of Qingdao University Medical College) ;
- Wei, Xiao-Qiang (Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao University Medical College) ;
- Zhang, You-Zhong (Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University)
- Published : 2013.09.30
Objective: Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is an emerging therapeutic procedure suitable for the treatment of cervical cancer. However, the side effects of PDT are severe, including skin ulceration, so we designed an experiment to examine the effects of multiple low-dose photodynamic therapy of 5, 10, 15, 20-tetrakis(1-methylpyridinium-4-yl) porphyrin (Tmpyp4) on tumour growth by utilizing a model in nude mice implanted with Hela cervical cancer cells. Materials and Methods: Female BALB/c nude mice (aged 5-6 weeks, weighing 18-20 g) were used. Hela cervical cancer cells were injected subcutaneously (
Photodynamic therapy;Tmpyp4;cervical cancer;nude mice
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Castro-Morales (2008). Use of an orthovoltage X-ray treatment unit as a radiation research system in a small-animal cancer model. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 27, 57. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-27-57
- Cronje HS (2005). Screening for cervical cancer in the developing world. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol, 19, 517-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2005.02.005
- De Cian A, Lacroix L, Douarre C, et al (2008). Targeting telomeres and telomerase. Biochimie, 90, 131-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biochi.2007.07.011
- Dolmans DE, Fukumura D, Jain RK (2003). Photodynamic therapy for cancer. Nat Rev Cancer, 3, 380-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1071
- Dougherty TJ, Kaufman JE, Goldfarb A, et al (1978). Photoradiation Therapy for the Treatment of Malignant Tumors. Cancer Res, 38, 2628-35.
- Harle-Bachor C, Boukamp P (1996). Telomerase activity in the regenerative basal layer of the epidermis in human skin and in immortal and carcinoma-derived skin keratinocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 93, 6476-81. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.93.13.6476
- Hsiao R, Sharma HW, Ramakrishnan S, Keith E, Narayanan R (1997). Telomerase activity in normal human endothelial cells. Anticancer Res, 17, 827-32.
- O'Connor AE, Gallagher WM, Byrne AT (2009). Porphyrin and nonporphyrin photosensitizers in oncology: preclinical and clinical advances in photodynamic therapy. Photochem Photobiol, 85, 1053-74. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-1097.2009.00585.x
- Kim K, Zang R, Choi SC, Ryu SY, Kim JW (2009). Current status of gynecological cancer in China. J Gynecol Oncol, 20, 72-6. https://doi.org/10.3802/jgo.2009.20.2.72
- Mathews MS, Angell-Petersen E, Sanchez R, et al (2009). The effects of ultra low fluence rate single and repetitive photodynamic therapy on glioma spheroids. Lasers Surg Med, 41, 578-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.20808
- Meyer-Betz F (1913). Untersuchung uber die biologische (photodynamische) Wirkung des Hamatoporphyrins und anderer Derivate des Blut- und Gallenfarbstoffs (in German). Dtsch Arch Klin Med, 112, 476-503.
- Raychaudhuri S, Mandal S (2012). Current status of knowledge, attitude and practice (KAP) and screening for cervical cancer in countries at different levels of development. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4221-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4221
- Rha SY, Izbicka E, Lawrence R, et al (2000). Effect of telomere and telomerase interactive agents on human tumor and normal cell lines. Clin Cancer Res, 6, 987-93.
- Rogers GS (2012). Continuous low-irradiance photodynamic therapy: a new therapeutic paradigm. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 10, S14-7. https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2012.0166
- Shirasu N, Nam SO, Kuroki M (2013). Tumor-targeted Photodynamic Therapy. Anticancer Res, 33, 2823-31.
- Szliszka E, Czuba ZP, Kawczyk-Krupka A, et al (2012). Chlorinbased photodynamic therapy enhances the effect of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) in bladder cancer cells. Med Sci Monit, 18, BR47-53.
- Xu CS, Leung AW (2006). Photodynamic effects of pyropheophorbide-a methyl ester in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Med Sci Monit, 12, BR257-62.
- Yoo JO, Lim YC, Kim YM, Ha KS (2011). Differential cytotoxic responses to low- and high-dose photodynamic therapy in human gastric and bladder cancer cells. J Cell Biochem, 112, 3061-71. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.23231
- Yui J, Chiu CP, Lansdorp P (1998). Telomerase activity in candidate stem cells from fetal liver and adult bone marrow. Blood, 91, 3255-62.
- G-quadruplex interacting small molecules and drugs: from bench toward bedside vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1586/17512433.2014.945909
- TMPyP4, a Stabilizer of Nucleic Acid Secondary Structure, Is a Novel Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor vol.10, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0139167
- Hiporfin-Mediated Photodynamic Therapy in Preclinical Treatment of Osteosarcoma vol.91, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/php.12424
- A Strategy Using Photodynamic Therapy and Clofibric Acid to Treat Peritoneal Dissemination of Ovarian Cancer vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.775
- TMPYP4 exerted antitumor effects in human cervical cancer cells through activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase vol.50, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40659-017-0129-4
- ) Consumption vol.65, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.6b02629