- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Esophageal Cancer Incidence in Tehran by Log-linear Method using Population-based Cancer Registry Data
- Mosavi-Jarrahi, Alireza (Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Ahmadi-Jouibari, Toraj (Clinical Research Development Center, Imam Khomeini Hospital) ;
- Najafi, Farid (Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mehrabi, Yadollah (Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Aghaei, Abbas (Clinical Research Development Center, Imam Khomeini Hospital)
- Published : 2013.09.30
Background: Having knowledge or estimation of cancer incidence is necessary for planning and implementation of any cancer prevention and control programs. Population-based registries provide valuable information to achieve these objectives but require extra techniques to estimate the incidence rate. The present study aimed to estimate the esophageal cancer incidence using a log-linear method based on Tehran population-based cancer registry data. Materials and Methods: New cases of esophageal cancer reported by three sources of pathology reports, medical records, and death certificates to Tehran Metropolitan Area Cancer Registry Center during 2002-2006 were entered into the study and the incidence rate was estimated based on log-linear models. We used Akaike statistics to select the best-fit model. Results: During 2002-2006, 1,458 new cases of esophageal cancer were reported by the mentioned sources to the population-based cancer registry. Based on the reported cases, cancer incidence was 4.5 per 100,000 population and this was estimated to be 10.5 per 100,000 by the log-linear method. Conclusions: Based on the obtained results, it can be concluded that an estimated incidence for 2004 of 8.3 per 100,000 population could be a good benchmark for the incidence of esophageal cancer in the population of Tehran metropolis.
Incidence estimation;log-linear;esophageal cancer;cancer registration;Akaike statistics
- Aghaei A, Najaf F, Mosavi-Jarrahi A, Ahmadi-Jouibari T (2012). Coverage, density and completeness of sources used in tehran metropolitan area cancer registry: according to the data of esophageal cancer, 2003-2007. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3617-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3617
- Aghaei A, Ahmadi-Jouibari T, Baiki O, Mosavi-Jarrahi A (2013). Estimation of the gastric cancer incidence in Tehran by two-source capture-recapture. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 673-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.673
- Amani F, Ahari SS, Akhghari L (2013). Epidemiology of esophageal cancer in ardabil province during 2003-2011. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4177-80. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4177
- Babaei M, Jaafarzadeh H, Sadjadi AR, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Ardabil: report of an ongoing population-based cancer registry in Iran, 2004-2006. Iranian J Publ Health, 38, 35-48.
- Bashash M, Shah A, Hislop G, et al (2008). Incidence and survival for gastric and esophageal cancer diagnosed in British Columbia, 1990 to 1999. Can J Gastroenterol, 22, 143-8. https://doi.org/10.1155/2008/645107
- Boyle P, Levin B (2008). International Agency for Research on, World cancer report. IARC press, 338.
- Etemadi A, Sadjadi A, Semnani S, et al (2008). Cancer registry in Iran: a Brief Overview. Arch Iran Me, 11, 577-80.
- Hilsenbeck SG, Kurucz, C, Duncan RC (1992). Estimation of completeness and adjustment of age-specific and agestandardized incidence rates. Biometrics, 48, 1249-62. https://doi.org/10.2307/2532716
- Ghojazadeh M, Mohammadi M, Azami-Aghdash S, et al (2013). Estimation of cancer cases using capture-recapture method in Northwest Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3237-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3237
- He YT, Hou J, Chen ZF, et al (2008). Trends in incidence of esophageal and gastric cardia cancer in high-risk areas in China. Eur J Cancer Prev, 17, 71-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0b013e3282b6fd97
- Heraud-Bousquet V, Lot F, Esvan M, et al (2012). A threesource capture-recapture estimate of the number of new HIV diagnoses in children in France from 2003-2006 with multiple imputation of a variable of heterogeneous catchability. BMC Infect Dis, 12, 51. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2334-12-51
- Hook EB, Regal RR (1995). Capture-recapture methods in epidemiology: methods and limitations. Epidemiol Rev, 17, 243-64. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.epirev.a036192
- Hook EB, Regal RR (1997). Validity of methods for model selection, weighting for model uncertainty, and small sample adjustment in capture-recapture estimation. Am J Epidemiol, 145, 1138-44. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009077
- Kamo K, Kaneko S, Satoh K, et al (2007). A mathematical estimation of true cancer incidence using data from population-based cancer registries. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 37, 150-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyl143
- LaPorte RE, McCarty DJ, Tull ES, Tajima N (1992). Counting birds, bees, and NCDs. Lancet, 339, 494-5.
- LaPorte RE (1994). Assessing the human condition: capturerecapture techniques. BMJ, 308, 5-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.308.6920.5
- Matsuda T, Marugame T, Kamo K, et al (2008). Cancer incidence and incidence rates in Japan in 2002: based on data from 11 population-based cancer registries. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 38, 641-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyn074
- Parkin DM (1994). Comparability and quality control in cancer registration: international agency for Research on Cancer, (IARC).
- McCarty DJ, Tull ES, Moy CS, Kwoh CK, LaPorte RE (1993). Ascertainment corrected rates: applications of capturerecapture methods. Int J Epidemiol, 22, 559-65. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/22.3.559
- McClish D, Penberthy L (2004). Using multivariate capturerecapture techniques and statewide hospital discharge data to assess the validity of a cancer registry for epidemiologic use. Health Serv Outcomes Res Methodol, 5, 141-52. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10742-005-4305-6
- Mohagheghi MA, Mosavi-Jarrahi A, Malekzadeh R, Parkin M (2009). Cancer incidence in Tehran metropolis: the first report from the Tehran population-based cancer registry, 1998-2001. Arch Iran Med, 12, 15-23.
- Radmard AR (2010). Five common cancers in Iran. Arch Iran Med, 13, 143-6.
- Robles SC, Marrett LD, Clarke EA, Risch HA (1988). An application of capture-recapture methods to the estimation of completeness of cancer registration. J Clin Epidemiol, 41, 495-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/0895-4356(88)90052-2
- Sajadi A, Marjani H, Semnani SH, Nasseri-Moghaddam S (2010). Esophageal cancerin Iran: a review. Middle East J, 1, 5-14.
- Schouten LJ, Straatman H, Kiemeney LA, Gimbrere CH, Verbeek AL (1994). The capture-recapture method for estimation of cancer registry completeness: a useful tool? Int J Epidemiol, 23, 1111-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/23.6.1111
- Semnani S, Sadjadi A, Fahimi S, et al (2006). Declining incidence of esophageal cancer in the Turkmen plain, eastern part of the caspian littoral of Iran: a retrospective cancer surveillance. Cancer Detect Prev, 30, 14-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2005.11.002
- Shanmugaratnam K (1989). Availability and completeness of cancer registration worldwide. Recent results in cancer research. Fortschritte der Krebsforschung. Recent Results Cancer Res, 114, 28-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-83651-0_3
- Wang X, Fan JC, Wang AR, et al (2013). Epidemiology of esophageal cancer in Yanting - regional report of a national screening programme in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2429-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2429
- Suwanrungruang K, Sriplung H, Attasara P, et al (2011). Quality of case ascertainment in cancer registries: a proposal for a virtual three-source capture-recapture technique. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 173-8.
- Tilling K (2001). Capture-recapture methodsâ€”useful or misleading? Int J Epidemiol, 30, 12-4. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/30.1.12
- Tull ES, McCarty D (1992). Monitoring the incidence of myocardial infarctions: applications of capture-markrecapture technology. Int J Epidemiol, 21, 258-62. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/21.2.258
- Cancer stem cell detection and isolation vol.31, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0069-6
- Demographic Survey of Four Thousand Patients with 10 Common Cancers in North Eastern Iran over the Past Three Decades vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10193
- Dietary and Demographical Risk Factors for Oesophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma in the Eastern Anatolian Region of Turkey Where Upper Gastrointestinal Cancers are Endemic vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1913
- Estimating the Completeness of Gastric Cancer Registration in Ardabil/Iran by a Capture-Recapture Method using Population-Based Cancer Registry Data vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1981