- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
A Single Measure of Cancer Burden in Korea from 1999 to 2010
- Cho, Kyoung-Hee (Department of Public Health, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Park, Sohee (Institute of Health Services Research, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Lee, Kwang-Sig (Institute of Health Services Research, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Jang, Sung-In (Institute of Health Services Research, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Yoo, Ki-Bong (Department of Public Health, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Jae-Hyun (Department of Public Health, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Park, Eun-Cheol (Institute of Health Services Research, Yonsei University College of Medicine)
- Published : 2013.09.30
Background: The purpose of this study was to develop a single measure of cancer burden (SMCB), which can prioritize cancer sites by considering incidence and mortality. Materials and Methods: Incidence data from 1999 to 2010 were obtained from the Korea Central Cancer Registry. Mortality data from 1999 to 2010 were obtained from Statistics Korea. The SMCB was developed by adding incidence and mortality scores. The respective scores were given such that incidence and mortality were classified by ten ranges of equal intervals. Results: According to the SMCB in 2010, stomach cancer ranked
Single indicator;summary measure;incidence;mortality;cancer burden
Supported by : Korean Foundation for cancer research
- Bener A, Ayub H, Kakil R, Ibrahim W (2008). Patterns of cancer incidence among the population of Qatar: a worldwide comparative study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 19-24.
- Hong WS, Kwon YS, Kwon YM, Yoo HK (2011). Content analysis of dietary lifestyle-related resreach articles from 1990 to 2009. J Korean Home Econ Assoc, 49, 13-26. https://doi.org/10.6115/khea.2011.49.2.013
- Datta K, Choudhuri M, Guha S, Biswas J (2010). Childhood cancer burden in part of eastern India- population based cancer registry data for Kolkata (1997-2004). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1283-8.
- Eser S, Yakut C, Ozdemir R, et al (2010). Cancer incidence rates in Turkey in 2006: a detailed registry based estimation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1731-9.
- Ferlay J, Shin H-R, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Jemal A, Center MM, DeSantis C, Ward EM (2010). Global patterns of cancer incidence and mortality rates and trends. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19, 1893-907. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0437
- Jung YH (2011). Measuring years of life lost due to premature death in Korea: toward estimating the burden of disease. Ministry Health and Welfare Forum, 11, 66-75.
- Jung YH, Ko SJ (2009). Cost of illness and health-friendly fiscal policy. Ministry Health and Welfare Forum, 10, 51-61.
- Kamangar F, Dores GM, Anderson WF (2006). Patterns of cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence across five continents: defining priorities to reduce cancer disparities in different geographic regions of the world. J Clin Oncol, 24, 2137-50. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.05.2308
- Kim H, Ha JS, Park JG (2006). High temperature, heat index, and mortality in 6 major cities in South Korea. Arch Environ Occup Health, 61, 265-70. https://doi.org/10.3200/AEOH.61.6.265-270
- Kim JH, Hahm MI, Park EC, et al (2009). Economic burden of cancer in South Korea for the Year 2005. J Prev Med and Public Health, 42, 190. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2009.42.3.190
- Murthy NS, Nandakumar BS, Pruthvish S, George PS, Mathew A (2010). Disability adjusted life years for cancer patients in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 633-40.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2013). Korea Nationa Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005-2011.
- Kumar AV, Yeole BB (2005). Assessing cancer burden in Rural India: an analysis by cause of death statistics. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 221-3.
- Li GL, Chen WQ (2009). Representativeness of populationbased cancer registration in China - comparison of Urban and Rural areas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 559-64.
- Park EC, Park JH (2012). The analysis and reduction strategies of cancer burden in Korea. Korean foundation for cancer research: Seoul. Research Report, 155-208.
- Park JH, Lee KS, Choi KS (2013). Burden of cancer in Korea during 2000-2020. Cancer Epidemiol, 37, 353-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2013.03.015
- Prüss A, Kay D, Fewtrell L, Bartram J (2002). Estimating the burden of disease from water, sanitation, and hygiene at a global level. Environ Health Perspect, 110, 537-42. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.02110537
- Romeder J-M, McWhinnie JR (1977). Potential years of life lost between ages 1 and 70: an indicator of premature mortality for health planning. Int J Epidemiol, 8, 143-51.
- Shibuya K, Mathers CD, Boschi-Pinto C, et al (2002). Global and regional estimates of cancer mortality and incidence by site: II. results for the global burden of disease 2000. BMC Cancer, 2, 37-26. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-2-37
- Yancik R (1997). Cancer burden in the aged. Cancer, 80, 1273-83. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19971001)80:7<1273::AID-CNCR13>3.0.CO;2-4
- Yoon SJ, Bae SC (2004). Current scope and perspective of burden of disease study based on health related quality of life. J Korean Med Assoc, 47, 600-2. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2004.47.7.600
- Yoon SJ, Kim EJ, Seo HJ (2012). Quantitative Methodology fpr Health Policy Research. Book; Korea University, 12-31.
- A Single Measure of Cancer Burden Combining Incidence with Mortality Rates for Worldwide Application vol.15, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.433
- Effectiveness of Ultrasonographic Screening for Thyroid Cancer: Round-table Conference in the National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency (NECA) in conjunction with the Korean Thyroid Association vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.5107
- Factors Influencing Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia in Cancer Patients vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5787
- Outcomes Based on Risk Assessment of Anastomotic Leakage after Rectal Cancer Surgery vol.15, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.707
- Effect of Withaferin A on A549 Cellular Proliferation and Apoptosis in Non-small Cell Lung Cancer vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1711
- Changes in Economic Status of Households Associated with Catastrophic Health Expenditures for Cancer in South Korea vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2713
- Comparative Assessment of the Diagnostic Value of Transbronchial Lung Biopsy and Bronchoalveolar Lavage Fluid Cytology in Lung Cancer vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.201
- Intentions to Undergo Lung Cancer Screening among Korean Men vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6293
- The Health Examinees (HEXA) Study: Rationale, Study Design and Baseline Characteristics vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1591
- Genome-wide transcriptome analysis reveals inactivation of Wnt/β-catenin by 3,3′-diindolylmethane inhibiting proliferation of colon cancer cells vol.47, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2015.3089
- Sensitivity analysis of the economic burden using social insurance claim data vol.8, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5897/JPHE2016.0871