- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Reproductive Risk Factors for Thyroid Cancer: A Prospective Cohort Study in Khon Kaen, Thailand
- Sungwalee, Wararat (Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Public Health, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Vatanasapt, Patravoot (Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Kamsa-ard, Siriporn (Department of Biostatistics and Demography, Faculty of Public Health, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Suwanrungruang, Krittika (Cancer Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Promthet, Supannee (Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Public Health, Khon Kaen University)
- Published : 2013.09.30
Background: Because of the gender disparity in the incidence of thyroid cancer, this study aimed to determine the association between reproductive factors and thyroid cancer. Methods: A total of 10,767 eligible women from the Khon Kaen Cohort, recruited and interviewed between 1990 and 2001, were followed up until 2011. The data were linked to the Khon Kaen Population-Based Cancer Registry to detect thyroid cancer cases. Results: There was 17 thyroid cancer cases detected, an incidence of 11.2 per 100,000 person-years, of which 70.6 % were papillary tumors. The incidence was apparently greater among those with an early age of menarche, nulligravida women, and oral contraceptive users. Conlusions: There was a trend for thyroid cancer to develop in relation to longer estrogen exposure. This evidence is inconclusive but warrants further investigation.
Risk factors;reproductive factors;thyroid cancer;cohort study;Thailand
- Akslen L A, Nilssen S, Kvale G. (1992). Reproductive factors and risk of thyroid cancer. A prospective study of 63,090 women from Norway. Brit J Cancer, 65, 772-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1992.163
- Furukawa K, Preston D, Funamoto S, et al (2013). Long-term trend of thyroid cancer risk among Japanese atomic-bomb survivors: 60 years after exposure. Int J Cancer Journal international du cancer, 132, 1222-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.27749
- Horn-Ross PL, Canchola AJ, Ma H, Reynolds P, Bernstein L (2011). Hormonal factors and the risk of papillary thyroid cancer in the California Teachers Study cohort. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers and prevention: a publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology, 20, 1751-9
- Khuhaprema T, Attasara P, Sriplung H, et al (2012). Cancer in Thailand, Bangkok: Ministry of Public Health, 6, 2004-6.
- IARC Working Group on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans. 2001. Ionizing Radiation, Part 2: Some Internally Deposited Radionuclides. Lyon: IARC Press. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol 78.
- Kabat GC, Kim MY, Wactawski-Wende J, et al (2012). Smoking and alcohol consumption in relation to risk of thyroid cancer in postmenopausal women. Cancer epidemiol, 36, 335-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2012.03.013
- Kampangsri W, Vatanasapt P, Kamsa-ard S, et al (2013). Betel Quid Chewing and Upeer Aerodigestive Tract Cancers: A Prospective Cohort Study in Khon Kaen, Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prevention, 14, 4335-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4335
- Pellegriti G, Frasca F, Regalbuto C, Squatrito S, Vigneri R (2013). Worldwide increasing incidence of thyroid cancer: update on epidemiology and risk factors. J Cancer Epidemiol, 965212.
- Pham T-M, Fujino Y, Mikami H, et al (2009). Japan Collaborative Cohort Study Group. Reproductive and menstrual factors and thyroid cancer among Japanese women: the Japan Collaborative Cohort Study. J Women's Health, 18, 331-5. https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2008.1038
- Potischman N, Troisi R, Thadhani R, Hoover RN, Dodd K, Davis WW, Ballard-Barbash, R. (2005). Pregnancy hormone concentrations across ethnic groups: implications for later cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 1514-20. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-04-0869
- Sassolas G, Hafdi-Nejjari Z, Remontet L, et al (2009). Thyroid cancer: is the incidence rise abating? Eur J Endocrinol, 160, 71-9. https://doi.org/10.1530/EJE-08-0624
- Silverman C (1984). Thyroid tumors associated with radiation exposure. Public Health Rep, 99, 369-73.
- Sriamporn S, Parkin DM, Pisani P, et al (2005). A prospective study of diet, lifestyle, and genetic factors and the risk of cancer in Khon Kaen Province, northeast Thailand: description of the cohort. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev: APJCP, 6, 295-303.
- Zielinski JM, Garner M J, Band PR, et al (2009). Health outcomes of low-dose ionizing radiation exposure among medical workers: a cohort study of the Canadian national dose registry of radiation workers. Int J Occup Med Environ Health, 22, 149-56.
- Zivaljevic V, Vlajinac H, Jankovic R, et al (2003). Case-control study of female thyroid cancer--menstrual, reproductive and hormonal factors. Eur J Cancer Prev (ECP), 12, 63-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008469-200302000-00010
- Effectiveness of Ultrasonographic Screening for Thyroid Cancer: Round-table Conference in the National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency (NECA) in conjunction with the Korean Thyroid Association vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.5107
- Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma Risk Factors in French Polynesia vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2675
- Effects of Preemptive Analgesia with Parecoxib Sodium on Haemodynamics and Plasma Stress Hormones in Surgical Patients with Thyroid Carcinoma vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3977
- Menstrual and reproductive history and use of exogenous sex hormones and risk of thyroid cancer among women: a meta-analysis of prospective studies vol.26, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-015-0546-z
- Thyroid Cancer Epidemiology in Iran: a Time Trend Study vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.407
- Female Reproductive Factors and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer vol.8, pp.1664-2392, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2017.00111
- Parity and Risk of Thyroid Cancer: a Population-Based Study in Lithuania vol.8, pp.5-6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12672-017-0308-3
- PES1 promotes the occurrence and development of papillary thyroid cancer by upregulating the ERα/ERβ protein ratio vol.9, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-37648-7
- The Emerging Role of Estrogens in Thyroid Redox Homeostasis and Carcinogenesis vol.2019, pp.1942-0994, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/2514312