- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Influence of Perineural Invasion on Survival and Recurrence in Patients with Resected Pancreatic Cancer
- Zhang, Jun-Feng (Department of General Surgery, Ren Ji Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Hua, Rong (Department of General Surgery, Ren Ji Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Sun, Yong-Wei (Department of General Surgery, Ren Ji Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Liu, Wei (Department of General Surgery, Ren Ji Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Huo, Yan-Miao (Department of General Surgery, Ren Ji Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Liu, De-Jun (Department of General Surgery, Ren Ji Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Li, Jiao (Department of General Surgery, Ren Ji Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University)
- Published : 2013.09.30
Background: Perineural invasion (PNI) has been reported as one of the sources of locoregional recurrence in resected pancreatic cancer (PC). However the impact of PNI in resected pancreatic cancer remains controversial. The purpose of this study was to determine the association between PNI status and clinical outcomes. Methods: Publications were identified which assessed prognostic significance of PNI status in resected pancreatic cancer up to February 2013. A meta-analysis was performed to clarify the association between PNI status and clinical outcomes. Results: A total of 21 studies met the inclusion criteria, covering 4,459 cases. Analysis of these data showed that intrapancreatic PNI was correlated with reduced overall survival only in resected pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) patients (HR=1.982, 95%CI: 1.526-2.574, p=0.000). Extrapancreatic PNI was correlated with reduced overall survival in all resected pancreatic cancer patients (HR=1.748, 95%CI: 1.372-2.228, p=0.000). Moreover, intrapancreatic PNI status may be associated with tumor recurrence in all resected pancreatic cancer patients (HR=2.714, 95%CI: 1.885-3.906, p=0.000). Conclusion: PNI was an independent and poor prognostic factor in resected PDAC patients. Moreover, intrapancreatic PNI status may be associated with tumor recurrence.
Perineural invasion;prognosis;pancreatic nerve plexus;pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma
Supported by : Shanghai Health Bureau
- Bachellier P, Rosso E, Lucescu I, et al (2011). Is the need for an arterial resection a contraindication to pancreatic resection for locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma? A casematched controlled study. J Surg Oncol, 103, 75-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21769
- Balentine CJ, Enriquez J, Fisher W, et al (2010). Intra-abdominal fat predicts survival in pancreatic cancer. J Gastrointest Surg, 14, 1832-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-010-1297-5
- Boyd CA, Benarroch-Gampel J, Sheffield KM, Cooksley CD, Riall TS (2012) 415 patients with adenosquamous carcinoma of the pancreas: a population-based analysis of prognosis and survival. J Surg Res, 174, 12-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2011.06.015
- Bapat AA, Hostetter G, Von Hoff DD, Han H (2011). Perineural invasion and associated pain in pancreatic cancer. Nat Rev Cancer, 11, 695-707. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc3131
- Barbier L, Turrini O, Gregoire E, et al (2011). Pancreatic head resectable adenocarcinoma: preoperative chemoradiation improves local control but does not affect survival. HPB (Oxford), 13, 64-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1477-2574.2010.00245.x
- Ben QW, Wang JC, Liu J, et al (2010). Positive expression of L1-CAM is associated with perineural invasion and poor outcome in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol, 17, 2213-21. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-010-0955-x
- Ceyhan GO, Schafer KH, Kerscher AG, et al (2010). Nerve growth factor and artemin are paracrine mediators of pancreatic neuropathy in pancreaticadenocarcinoma. Ann Surg, 251, 923-31. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181d974d4
- Chatterjee D, Katz MH, Rashid A, et al (2012). Perineural and intraneural invasion in posttherapy pancreaticoduodenectomy specimens predicts poor prognosis in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol, 36, 409-17. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAS.0b013e31824104c5
- Cheng P, Jin G, Hu X, et al (2012). Analysis of tumorinduced lymphangiogenesis and lymphatic vessel invasion ofpancreatic carcinoma in the peripheral nerve plexus. Cancer Sci, 103, 1756-63. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2012.02364.x
- Chu CK, Mazo AE, Goodman M, et al (2010). Preoperative diabetes mellitus and long-term survival after resection of pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol, 17, 502-13. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-009-0789-6
- de Jong MC, Li F, Cameron JL, et al (2011). Re-evaluating the impact of tumor size on survival following pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma. J Surg Oncol, 103, 656-62. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21883
- Gebhardt C, Meyer W, Reichel M, Wünsch PH (2000). Prognostic factors in the operative treatment of ductal pancreatic carcinoma. Langenbecks Arch Surg, 385, 14-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004230050004
- Farnell MB, Pearson RK, Sarr MG, et al (2005). A prospective randomized trial comparing standard pancreatoduodenectomy with pancreatoduodenectomy with extended lymphadenectomy in resectable pancreatic head adenocarcinoma. Surgery, 138, 618-28; discussion 628-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2005.06.044
- Fisher SB, Patel SH, Bagci P, et al (2013). An analysis of human equilibrative nucleoside transporter-1, ribonucleoside reductase subunit M1, ribonucleoside reductase subunit M2, and excision repair cross-complementing gene-1 expression in patients with resected pancreas adenocarcinoma: implications for adjuvant treatment. Cancer, 119, 445-53. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.27619
- Garcea G, Dennison AR, Pattenden CJ, et al (2008). Survival following curative resection for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. A systematic review of the literature. JOP, 9, 99-132.
- Higgins JPT, Green S (2010) Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. 5.0.
- Jamieson NB, Denley SM, Logue J, et al (2011). A prospective comparison of the prognosticvalue of tumor- and patientrelated factors in patients undergoing potentially curative surgery for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol, 18, 2318-28. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-011-1560-3
- Jamieson NB, Mohamed M, Oien KA, et al (2012). The relationship between tumor inflammatory cell infiltrate and outcome in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol, 19, 3581-90. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-012-2370-y
- Kanda M, Fujii T, Sahin TT, et al (2010). Invasion of the splenic artery is a crucial prognostic factor in carcinoma of the body and tail of the pancreas. Ann Surg, 251, 483-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181cf9171
- Kayahara M, Nakagawara H, Kitagawa H, Ohta T (2007). The nature of neural invasion by pancreatic cancer. Pancreas, 35, 218-23 https://doi.org/10.1097/mpa.0b013e3180619677
- Kanehara (1996) Japan Pancreas Society. The Classification of Pancreatic Carcinoma, the 1st English edition. Tokyo.
- Kanehara (2003). Japan Pancreas Society: Classification of Pancreatic Carcinoma, 2nd edt. Tokyo.
- Kato K, Yamada S, Sugimoto H, et al (2009).Prognostic factors for survival after extended pancreatectomy for pancreatic head cancer: influence of resection margin status on survival. Pancreas, 38, 605-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/MPA.0b013e3181a4891d
- Kayahara M, Nagakawa T, Konishi I, et al (1991). Clinicopathologic study of pancreatic carcinoma with particular reference to the invasion of the extrapancreatic neural plexus. Int J Pancreatol, 10, 105-11
- Kazanjian KK, Hines OJ, Duffy JP, et al (2008). Improved survival following pancreaticoduodenectomy to treat adenocarcinoma of the pancreas: the influence of operative blood loss. Arch Surg, 143, 1166-71. https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.143.12.1166
- Kim J, Reber HA, Dry SM, et al (2006). Unfavourable prognosis associated with K-ras gene mutation in pancreatic cancer surgical margins. Gut, 55, 1598-1605. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2005.083063
- Kim R, Tan A, Lai KK, et al (2011). Prognostic roles of human equilibrative transporter 1 (hENT-1) and ribonucleoside reductase subunit M1 (RRM1) in resected pancreatic cancer. Cancer, 117, 3126-34. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25883
- Kneuertz PJ, Patel SH, Chu CK, et al (2011). Effects of perioperative red blood cell transfusion on disease recurrence and survival after pancreaticoduodenectomy for ductal adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol, 18, 1327-34. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-010-1476-3
- Maithel SK, Coban I, Kneuertz PJ, et al (2011.) Differential expression of ERCC1 in pancreas adenocarcinoma: high tumor expression is associated with earlier recurrence and shortened survival after resection. Ann Surg Oncol, 18, 2699-705. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-011-1610-x
- Koide N, Yamada T, Shibata R, et al (2006). Establishment of perineural invasion models and analysis of gene expression revealed an invariant chain (CD74) as a possible molecule involved in perineural invasion in pancreatic cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 12, 2419-26. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-05-1852
- Lee SH, Kim H, Hwang JH, et al (2012). Breast cancer resistance protein expression is associated with early recurrence and decreased survival in resectable pancreatic cancer patients. Pathol Int, 62, 167-75. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1827.2011.02772.x
- Liebig C, Ayala G, Wilks JA, Berger DH, Albo D (2009). Perineural invasion in cancer:a review of the literature. Cancer, 115, 3379-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24396
- Mancuso A, Calabro F, Sternberg CN (2006). Current therapies and advances in the treatment of pancreatic cancer. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 58, 231-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2006.02.004
- Mitsunaga S, Hasebe T, Kinoshita T, et al (2007). Detail histologic analysis of nerve plexus invasion in invasive ductal carcinoma and its prognostic impact. Am J Surg Pathol, 31, 1636-44. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAS.0b013e318065bfe6
- Mitsunaga S, Hasebe T, Iwasaki M, et al (2005). Important prognostic histological parameters for patients with invasive ductal carcinoma of the pancreas. Cancer Sci, 96, 858-65. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2005.00128.x
- Mollberg N, Rahbari NN, Koch M, et al (2011). Arterial resection during pancreatectomy for pancreatic cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Surg, 254, 882-93. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e31823ac299
- Murakami Y, Uemura K, Sudo T, et al (2010).Prognostic impact of para-aortic lymph node metastasis in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. World J Surg, 34, 1900-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-010-0577-2
- Nagakawa T, Kayahara M, Ohta T, et al (1991). Patterns of neural and plexus invasion of human pancreatic cancer and experimental cancer. Int J Pancreatol, 10, 113-9.
- Murakami Y, Uemura K, Sudo T, et al (2008). Postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy improves survival after surgical resection for pancreatic carcinoma. J Gastrointest Surg, 12, 534-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-007-0407-5
- Murata Y, Hamada T, Kishiwada M, et al (2012). Human equilibrative nucleoside transporter 1 expression is a strong independent prognostic factor in UICC T3-T4 pancreatic cancer patients treated with preoperative gemcitabinebased chemoradiotherapy. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci, 19, 413-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00534-011-0440-3
- Nagai K, Doi R, Katagiri F, et al S (2009).Prognostic value of metastin expression in human pancreatic cancer. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 21, 28:9.
- Nagakawa T, Kayahara M, Ueno K, et al (1992a). A clinicopathologic study on neural invasion in cancer of the pancreatic head. Cancer, 69, 930-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19920215)69:4<930::AID-CNCR2820690416>3.0.CO;2-R
- Nagakawa T, Kayahara M, Ueno K, et al (1992b). Clinicopathologic study on neural invasion to the extrapancreatic nerve plexus in pancreatic cancer. Hepatogastroenterology, 39, 51-5.
- Nakagohri T, Kinoshita T, Konishi M, Takahashi S, Gotohda N (2006). Nodal involvement is strongest predictor of poor survival in patients with invasive adenocarcinoma of the head of the pancreas. Hepatogastroenterology, 53, 447-51.
- Nakao A, Harada A, Nonami T, Kaneko T, Takagi H(1996). Clinical significance of carcinoma invasion of the extrapancreatic nerve plexus in pancreatic cancer. Pancreas, 12, 357-61. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006676-199605000-00006
- Nimura Y (2002). Extended surgery in bilio-pancreatic cancer. The Japanese experience. Semin Oncol, 29, 17-22. https://doi.org/10.1053/sonc.2002.37371
- Regine WF, Abrams RA (2006). Adjuvant therapy for pancreatic cancer: current status, future directions. Semin Oncol, 33, S10-13. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.seminoncol.2006.10.005
- Ozaki H, Hiraoka T, Mizumoto R, et al (1999). The prognostic significance of lymph node metastasis and intrapancreatic perineural invasion in pancreatic cancer after curative resection. Surg Today, 29, 16-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02482964
- Pawlik TM, Gleisner AL, Cameron JL, et al (2007). Prognostic relevance of lymph node ratio following pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic cancer. Surgery, 141, 610-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2006.12.013
- Pour PM, Bell RH, Batra SK (2003). Neural invasion in the staging of pancreatic cancer. Pancreas, 26, 322-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006676-200305000-00002
- Ren F, Xu YC, Wang HX, Tang L, Ma Y (2012). Adjuvant chemotherapy, with or without postoperative radiotherapy, for resectable advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma: continue or stop? Pancreatology, 12, 162-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pan.2012.02.002
- Sahin IH, Shama MA, Tanaka M, et al (2012).. Association of diabetes and perineural invasion in pancreatic cancer. Cancer Med, 1, 357-62. https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.43
- Schiffman SC, Chu CK, Park J, et al (2011). Is prior cholecystectomy associated with decreased survival in patients with resectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma following pancreaticoduodenectomy? Am J Surg, 201, 519-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2010.02.004
- Sergeant G, Ectors N, Fieuws S, Aerts R, Topal B (2009). Prognostic relevance of extracapsular lymph node involvement in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol, 16, 3070-9. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-009-0627-x
- Shimada K, Nara S, Esaki M, et al (2011). Intrapancreatic nerve invasion as a predictor for recurrence after pancreaticoduodenectomy in patients with invasive ductal carcinoma of the pancreas. Pancreas, 40, 464-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/MPA.0b013e31820b5d37
- Squadroni M, Fazio N(2010). Chemotherapy in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 14, 386-94.
- Singal AK, Ross WA, Guturu P, et al (2011). Self-expanding metal stents for biliary drainage in patients with respectable pancreatic cancer: single-center experience with 79 cases. Dig Dis Sci, 56, 3678-84. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-011-1815-7
- Sobin LH, Wittekind C (2002). International Union Against Cancer.TNM Classification of MalignantTumours, 6th edn. New York: Wiley.
- Sperti C, Pasquali C, Piccoli A, Pedrazzoli S (1997). Recurrence after resection for ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. World J Surg, 21, 195-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002689900215
- Stocken DD, Büchler MW, Dervenis C, et al (2005). Metaanalysis of randomised adjuvant therapy trials for pancreatic cancer. Br J Cancer, 92, 1372-81. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6602513
- Stolinski C (1995). Structure and composition of the outer connective tissue sheaths of peripheral nerve. J Anat, 186, 123-30.
- Takahashi H, Ohigashi H, Ishikawa O, et al (2012). Perineural invasion and lymph node involvement as indicators of surgical outcome and pattern of recurrence in the setting of preoperative gemcitabine-based chemoradiation therapy for resectable pancreatic cancer. Ann Surg, 255, 95-102. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e31823d813c
- Turrini O, Paye F, Bachellier P, et al (2013). Pancreatectomy for adenocarcinoma in elderly patients: postoperative outcomes and long term results: a study of the French Surgical Association. Eur J Surg Oncol, 39, 171-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2012.08.017
- Watanabe T, Morinaga S, Akaike M, et al (2012). The cellular level of histone H3 lysine 4 dimethylation correlates with response to adjuvant gemcitabine in Japanese pancreatic cancer patients treated with surgery. Eur J Surg Oncol, 38, 1051-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2012.08.008
- Xie H, Lin J, Thomas DG, Jiang W, Liu X (2012). Ribonucleotide reductase M2 does not predict survival in patients with resectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Int J Clin Exp Pathol, 5, 347-55.
- Waters JA, Schnelldorfer T, Aguilar-Saavedra JR, et al (2011). Survival after resection for invasive intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm and for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: a multi-institutional comparison according to American Joint Committee on Cancer Stage. J Am Coll Surg, 213, 275-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2011.04.003
- Winter JM, Cameron JL, Campbell KA, et al (2006). 1423 pancreaticoduodenectomies for pancreatic cancer: A singleinstitution experience. J Gastrointest Surg, 10, 1199-210; discussion 1210-1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gassur.2006.08.018
- Xie H, Jiang W, Xiao SY, Liu X (2013). High expression of survivin is prognostic of shorter survival but not predictive of adjuvant gemcitabine benefit in patients with resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma. J Histochem Cytochem, 61, 148-55. https://doi.org/10.1369/0022155412468137
- Study on the Relationship Between CXCR4 Expression and Perineural Invasion in Pancreatic Cancer vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4893
- Effects of Secondary Left-sided Portal Hypertension on the Radical Operation Rate and Prognosis in Patients with Pancreatic Cancer vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2239
- The prognostic value of Cyclin B1 in pancreatic cancer vol.31, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0107-4
- Neural plasticity in pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer vol.12, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1038/nrgastro.2015.166
- Prognostic Value of Perineural Invasion in Colorectal Cancer: A Meta-Analysis vol.19, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-015-2761-z
- Combining in Vitro Diagnostics with in Vivo Imaging for Earlier Detection of Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma: Challenges and Solutions vol.277, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2015141020
- Prognostic Value of Perineural Invasion in Esophageal and Esophagogastric Junction Carcinoma: A Meta-Analysis vol.2016, pp.1875-8630, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/7340180
- Outcomes in operative management of pancreatic cancer vol.110, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.23744
- Intraoperative Pancreatic Cancer Detection using Tumor-Specific Multimodality Molecular Imaging vol.25, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-018-6453-2