- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Can Reproductive Characteristics Predict Bladder Cancer in Women with Haematuria?
- Yavuzcan, Ali (Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Duzce University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Caglar, Mete (Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Duzce University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Kayikci, Muhammet Ali (Department of Urology, Duzce University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Basaran, Ekrem (Department of Urology, Duzce University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Tekin, Ali (Department of Urology, Duzce University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Ozdemir, Enver (Department of Urology, Duzce University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Dilbaz, Serdar (Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Duzce University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Ustun, Yusuf (Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Duzce University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Cam, Haydar Kamil (Department of Urology, Duzce University Faculty of Medicine)
- Published : 2013.09.30
Background: Among women with haematuria, defining individuals under high risk for bladder cancer based on reproductive factors prior to cystoscopy would be of great benefit in the management of this condition. The aim of this study was to compare age and reproductive factors such as menopausal status, parity, age at first delivery and age at the last delivery between women who have haematuria with or without bladder cancer. Materials and Methods: A total of 463 patients underwent diagnostic cystoscopy in D
- Aubertin-Leheudre M, Hamalainen E, Adlercreutz H (2011). Diets and hormonal levels in postmenopausal women with or without breast cancer. Nutr Cancer, 63, 514-24. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2011.538487
- Aikawa K, Sugino T, Matsumoto S, et al (2003). The effect of ovariectomy and estradiol on rabbit bladder smooth muscle contraction and morphology. J Urol, 170, 634-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ju.0000068723.05004.ca
- Badawi AF, Mostafa MH, Probert A, O'Connor PJ (1995). Role of schistosomiasis in human bladder cancer: evidence of association, aetiological factors, and basic mechanisms of carcinogenesis. Eur J Cancer Prev, 4, 45-59.
- Blakeman PJ, Hilton P, Bulmer JN (2000). Oestrogen and progesterone receptor expression in the female lower urinary tract, with reference to oestrogen status. BJU Int, 86, 32-8.
- Cantor KP, Lynch CF, Johnson D (1992). Bladder cancer, parity, and age at first birth. Cancer Causes Control, 3, 57-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00051913
- Chamie K, Litwin MS, Bassett JC, et al (2013). Recurrence of high-risk bladder cancer: a population-based analysis. Cancer, 119, 3219-27. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.28147
- Coelingh Bennink HJ, Holinka CF, Diczfalusy E (2008). Estetrol review: profile and potential clinical applications. Climacteric, 11, 47-58. https://doi.org/10.1080/13697130802073425
- Ho CC, Tan WP, Pathmanathan R, Tan WK, Tan HM (2013). Fluorescence-in situ-hybridization in the surveillance of urothelial cancers: can use of cystoscopy or ureteroscopy be deferred? Asian Pac Cancer Prev, 14, 4057-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4057
- Davis-Dao CA, Henderson KD, Sullivan-Halley J, et al (2011). Lower risk in parous women suggests that hormonal factors are important in bladder cancer etiology. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 20, 1156-70. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-11-0017
- Dietrich K, Demidenko E, Schned A, et al (2011). Parity, early menopause and the incidence of bladder cancer in women: a case-control study and meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer, 47, 592-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.10.007
- Hextall A (2000). Oestrogens and lower urinary tract function. Maturitas, 36, 83-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5122(00)00143-2
- Huang AT, Kogevinas M, Silverman DT, et al (2009). Bladder cancer and reproductive factors among women in Spain. Cancer Causes Control, 20, 1907-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-009-9384-1
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2009). Cancer statistics, 2009. CA Cancer J Clin, 59, 225-49. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20006
- Khadra MH, Pickard RS, Charlton M, Powell PH, Neal DE (2000). A prospective analysis of 1,930 patients with hematuria to evaluate current diagnostic practice. J Urol, 163, 524-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(05)67916-5
- Kobeissi LH, Yassine IA, Jabbour ME, Moussa MA, Dhaini HR (2013). Urinary bladder cancer risk factors: a Lebanese case- control study. Asian Pac Cancer Prev, 14, 3205-11. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3205
- Krzeslak A, Jozwiak P, Formu E, et al (2012). Diagnostic value of glucose transporter 1 and 3 (GLUT1 and GLUT3) mRNA level in postmenopausal women with urinary bladder cancer. Przegląd Menopauzalny, 3, 178-82.
- McGrath M, Michaud DS, De Vivo I (2006). Hormonal and reproductive factors and the risk of bladder cancer in women. Am J Epidemiol, 163, 236-44. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwj028
- Rodriguez LV, Wang BY, Shortliffe LMD (2004). Structural changes in the bladder walls of pregnant and hormonetreated rats: correlation with bladder dynamics. BJU Int, 94, 1366-72. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2004.05174.x
- Mishriki SF, Vint R, Somani BK (2012). Half of visible and half of recurrent visible hematuria cases have underlying pathology: prospective large cohort study with long-term follow up. J Urol, 187, 1561-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2011.12.100
- Nabi G, Greene D, O'Donnell MO (2004). Suspicious urinary cytology with negative evaluation for malignancy in the diagnostic investigation of haematuria: how to follow up? J Clin Pathol, 57, 365-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.2003.009696
- Prizment AE, Anderson KE, Harlow BL, Folsom AR (2007). Reproductive risk factors for incident bladder cancer: Iowa women's health study. Int J Cancer, 120, 1093-8.
- Shariat SF, Sfakianos JP, Droller MJ, et al (2009). The effect of age and gender on bladder cancer: a critical review of the literature. BJU International, 105, 300-8.
- Shen SS, Smith CL, Hsieh JT, et al (2006). Expression of estrogen receptors-alpha and -beta in bladder cancer cell lines and human bladder tumor tissue. Cancer, 106, 2610-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21945
- Srivastava AK, Singh PK, Srivastava K, et al (2013). Diagnostic role of survivin in urinary bladder cancer. Asian Pac Cancer Prev, 14, 81-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.81
- Wolpert BJ, Amr S, Ezzat S, et al (2010). Estrogen exposure and bladder cancer risk in Egyptian women. Maturitas, 67, 353-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2010.07.014
- External Validation of a Clinical Scoring System for Hematuria vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6819