- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Breast Cancer in Young Women from a Low Risk Population in Nepal
- Thapa, Bibhusal (Department of Surgery, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital) ;
- Singh, Yogendra (Department of Surgery, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital) ;
- Sayami, Prakash (Department of Surgery, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital) ;
- Shrestha, Uttam Krishna (Department of Surgery, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital) ;
- Sapkota, Ranjan (Department of Surgery, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital) ;
- Sayami, Gita (Department of Pathology, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital)
- Published : 2013.09.30
Background: The overall incidence of breast cancer in South Asian countries, including Nepal, is low compared to Western countries. However, the incidence of breast cancer among young women is relatively high. Breast cancer in such cases is characterized by a relatively unfavorable prognosis and unusual pathological features. The aim of this study was to investigate clinico-pathological and biological characteristics in younger breast cancer patients (<40 years) and compare these with their older counterparts. Materials and Methods: Nine hundred and forty four consecutive female breast cancer patients, admitted to the Department of Surgery, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital, Kathmandu, Nepal between November 1997 and October 2012, were retrospectively analyzed. Results: Out of the 944 female breast cancer patients, 263 (27.9%) were <40 years. The mean age was
Advanced stage;breast cancer;tumor biology;young women
- Agrawal G, Ramakant P, Forgach ER, et al (2009). Breast cancer care in developing countries. World J Cancer, 33, 2069-76.
- Al-Ghazal SK, Fallowfield L, Blamey RW (2000). Comparision of psychological aspects and patient satisfaction following breast conserving surgery, simple mastectomy and breast reconstruction. Eur J Cancer, 36, 1938-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(00)00197-0
- Brinton LA, Sherman ME, Carreon JD, Anderson WF (2008). Recent trends in breast cancer among younger women in the United States. J Natl Cancer Inst, 100, 1643-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djn344
- Ariga R, Bloom K, Reddy VB, et al (2002). Fine needle aspiration of clinically suspicious palpable breast masses with histopathologic correlation. Am J Surg, 184, 410-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9610(02)01014-0
- Ashley S, Royle GT, Corder A, et al (1989). Clinical, radiological and cytological diagnosis of breast cancer in young women. Br J Surg, 76, 835-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800760825
- Bhatta VR, Wetz RV, Shrestha R, et al (2011). Breast cancer knowledge, attitudes and practices among Nepalese women. Eur J Cancer Care, 20, 810-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2011.01272.x
- Colleoni M, Rotmensz N, Robertson C, et al (2002). Very young women (<35 years) with operable breast cancer: features of disease at presentation. Ann Oncol, 13, 273-9.
- Das S, Sen S, Mukherjee A, et al (2012). Risk factors of breast cancer among women in eastern India: a tertiary hospital based case control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4979-81. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.4979
- Del Carmen MG, Halpern EF, Kopans DB, et al (2007). Mammographic breast density and race. American J Roentgenol, 188, 1147-50. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.06.0619
- Di Nubila B, Cassano E, Urban LABD, et al (2006). Radiological features and pathological-biological correlations in 348 women with breast cancer under 35 years old. Breast, 15, 744-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2006.02.006
- Dorgan JF (1998). Physical activity and breast cancer: Is there a link? J Natl Cancer Inst, 90, 1116-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/90.15.1116
- Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative Group (1992). Systemic treatment of early breast cancer by hormonal, cytotoxic or immune therapy. Lancet, 339, 1-15.
- Gonzalez-Anquolo AM, Walters R, Borglio K, et al (2008). Using response to primary chemotherapy to select postoperative therapy: long-term results from a prospective phase II trial in locally advanced primary breast cancer. Clin Breast Cancer, 8, 516-21. https://doi.org/10.3816/CBC.2008.n.063
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2008). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008. GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917.
- Foxcroft LM, Evans EB, Porter AJ (2004). The diagnosis of breast cancer in women younger than 40. Breast, 13, 297-306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2004.02.012
- Gathani T, Ali R, Beral DV, et al (2010). Risk factors for breast cancer in India: an INDOX case-control study. INDOX Cancer Research Netwoek.
- Guerra I, Algorta J, Diaz de Otazu R, et al (2003). Immunohistochemical prognostic index for breast cancer in young women. Mol Pathol, 56, 323-7. https://doi.org/10.1136/mp.56.6.323
- Houssami N, Irwig L, Simpson JM, et al (2002). Accuracy of combined breast imaging in young women. Breast, 11, 36-40. https://doi.org/10.1054/brst.2001.0355
- Howard-Anderson J, Ganj PA, Bower JE, et al (2012). Quality of life, fertility concerns, and behavioral health outcomes in younger breast cancer survivors: a systematic review. J Natl Cancer Inst, 104, 386-405. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djr541
- Ihemelandu CU, Leffall LD, Jr Dewitty RL, et al (2007). Molecular breast cancer subtypes in premenopausal African- American women, tumor biologic factors and clinical outcome. Ann Surg Oncol, 14, 2994-3003. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-007-9477-6
- Jemal A, Bray F, Cenner MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-70. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kakarala M, Rozek L, Cote M, Liyanage S, Brenner DE (2010). Breast cancer histology and receptor status characterization in Asian Indian and Pakistani women in the US - a SEER analysis. BMC Cancer, 10, 191. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-10-191
- McCormack VA, Mangtani P, Bhakta D, et al (2004). Heterogeneity of breast cancer risk within the South Asian female population in England: a population - based casecontrol study of first generation migrants. Br J Cancer, 90, 160-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6601440
- Lee E, McKean-Cowdin R, Ma H, et al (2011). Characteristics of triple-negative breast cancer in patients with a BRCA 1 mutation: results from a population-based study of young women. J Clin Oncol, 29, 4373-80. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.33.6446
- Maggard MA, O'Connell JB, Lane KE, et al (2003). Do young breast cancer patients have worse outcomes? J Surg Res, 113, 109-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4804(03)00179-3
- Malone KE, Darling JR, Neal C, et al (2000). Frequency of BRCA1/BRCA2 mutations in a population-based sample of young breast carcinoma cases. Cancer, 88, 1393-402. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(20000315)88:6<1393::AID-CNCR17>3.0.CO;2-P
- Menard S, Casalini P, Cascinelli N, et al (2000). Breast carcinoma in young patients. Lancet, 356, 1113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)74557-8
- Nandakumar A, Gupta PC, Gangadharan P, Viswaswara RN (2004). Summary of specific sites: breast cancer (ICD-10: C50)- females. In: Development of an atlas of cancer in India: first all India report: 2001-2002, Bangalore, India.
- Pinappel RM, van den Donk M, Holland R, et al (2004). Diagnostic accuracy for different strategies of image-guided breast intervention in cases of nonpalpable breast lesions. Br J Cancer, 90, 595-600. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6601559
- Pisani P (1992). Breast cancer: geographic variation and risk factors. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol, 11, 313-6.
- Porter P (2008). Westernizing women's risks? Breast cancer in lower-income countries. New Eng J Med, 358, 213-6. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp0708307
- Pradhananga KK, Baral M, Shrestha BM (2009). Multiinstitution hospital-based cancer incidence data for Nepal: an initial report. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 259-62.
- Stanley PLL, Zhen-Zhou S, Tse-Jia L, et al (2010). Is breast cancer the same disease in Asian and Western countries? World J Surg, 34, 2308-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-010-0683-1
- Rodriquez-Walberg KA, Oktay K (2012). Fertility preservation and pregnancy in women with and without BRCA mutationpositive breast cancer. Oncologist, 17, 1409-17. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2012-0236
- Sidhartha, Thapa B, Singh Y, et al (2008). Mammographic diagnosis of breast carcinoma: an institutional experience. J Nepal Med Assoc, 47, 62-5.
- Singh Y, Sayami P, Sayami G, et al (2002). Nepalese breast cancer in relation to reproductive factors: comparision between Nepalese and Japanese cases. Anticancer Res, 22, 319-23.
- Taib NA, Yip CH, Low WY (2011). Recognising symptoms of breast cancer as a reason for delayed presentation in Asian women-the psycho-socio-cultural model for breast symptom appraisal: opportunities for intervention. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1601-8.
- Tea MK, Fan L, Delancey JW, et al (2013). Is breast cancer in young Asian women more aggressive than in Caucasians? A cross-sectional analysis. Tumor Biol, 34, 2379-84. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-0786-z
- Tichy JR, Lim E, Anders CK (2013). Breast cancer in adolescents and young adults: a review with a focus on biology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 11, 1060-9. https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2013.0128
- Comparison between Early and Late Onset Breast Cancer in Pakistani Women Undergoing Breast Conservative Therapy: is There any Difference? vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5331
- Cancers of the Young Population in Brunei Darussalam vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6357
- Clinicopathologic Features and Molecular Subtypes of Breast Cancer in Young Women (Age ≤35) vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6665
- Distinct Postsurgical Management in Young and Elderly Breast Cancer Patients Results in Equal Survival Rates vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7843
- Breast Cancer in Young Brazilian Women: Challenge for the Oncology Care vol.2014, pp.2090-2980, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/261625
- Correlation Between Mammograghic Findings and Clinical/Pathologic Features in Women with Small Invasive Breast Carcinomas vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10643
- Spatial and Temporal Epidemiological Assessment of Breast Cancer Incidence and Mortality in Kazakhstan, 1999-2013 vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6795
- OM.Breast Cancer in Very Young Women Aged 25 Year-Old or Below in the Center of Tunisia and Review of the Literature vol.21, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12253-015-9944-5
- Breast cancer literacy among higher secondary students: results from a cross-sectional study in Western Nepal vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-016-2166-8
- Malignant Neoplasm Burden in Nepal - Data from the Seven Major Cancer Service Hospitals for 2012 vol.16, pp.18, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.18.8659
- Trend of Cancer Incidence in Nepal from 2003 to 2012 vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2171
- Clinicopathological and Imaging Features of Breast Cancer in Korean Women under 40 Years of Age vol.76, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3348/jksr.2017.76.6.375
- The Impact of Micropapillary Component Ratio on the Prognosis of Patients With Invasive Micropapillary Breast Carcinoma pp.1521-0553, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/08941939.2018.1474302