- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Nabag (Zizyphus spina-christi) Extract Prevents Aberrant Crypt Foci Development in Colons of Azoxymethane-Treated Rats by Abrogating Oxidative Stress and inducing Apoptosis
- Guizani, Nejib (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Agricultural and Marine Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University) ;
- Waly, Mostafa Ibrahim (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Agricultural and Marine Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University) ;
- Singh, Vandita (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Agricultural and Marine Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University) ;
- Rahman, Mohammad Shafiur (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Agricultural and Marine Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University)
- Published : 2013.09.30
Zizyphus spina-christi (ZSC) fruit is a rich source of bioactive compounds but any medicinal properties in chemoprevention of colon cancer have hitherto not been studied. The aim of the present study was to examine in vivo protective effects of ZSC water extract on colon carcinogenesis in azoxymethane (AOM)-treated rats. Our results showed that ZSC significantly reduced AOM-induced colonic aberrant crypt foci development and AOM-induced oxidative stress as indicated by restoration of endogenous glutathione depletion and abrogating the impairment of total antioxidant capacity. Caspase-3 cleavage, which has been considered as an apoptotic index, was almost undetectable in AOM-treated rats and ZSC exhibited pro-apoptotic effects evidenced by increased levels of cleaved caspase-3. In the studied model, our findings provide the first in vivo evidence that ZSC extract could inhibit the early stage of colon carcinogenesis by preventing oxidative stress and inducing apoptosis.
Azoxymethane;colon cancer;zizyphus spina-christi;glutathione;colonic cells apoptosis
- Cohen GM (1997). Caspases: the executioners of apoptosis. Biochem J, 326, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj3260001
- Al-Numair KS, Waly MI, Ali A, et al (2011). Dietary folate protects against azoxymethane-induced aberrant crypt foci development and oxidative stress in rat colon. Exp Biol Med, 236, 1005-11. https://doi.org/10.1258/ebm.2011.011010
- Arai T, Kida Y, Harmon BV, Gobe GC (1996). Comparative alterations in p53 expression and apoptosis in the irradiated rat small and large intestine. Br J Cancer, 74, 406-12. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1996.373
- Bird RP (1995). Role of aberrant crypt foci in understanding the pathogenesis of colon cancer. Cancer Lett, 93, 55-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3835(95)03788-X
- Esfahani A, Wong JM, Truan J, et al (2011). Health effects of mixed fruit and vegetable concentrates: a systematic review of the clinical interventions. J Am Coll Nutr, 30, 285-94. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2011.10719971
- Fernandes-Alnemri T, Litwack G, Alnemri ES (1994). CPP32, a novel human apoptotic protein with homology to Caenorhabditis elegans cell death protein Ced-3 and mammalian interleukin-1b-converting enzyme. J Biol Chem, 269, 30761-64.
- Giaccia AJ, Kastan MB (1994). The complexity of p53 modulation: emerging patterns from divergent signals. Genes Dev, 12, 2973-83.
- Hibasami H, Jin Z, Yoshioka K, Ina K, Ohnishi K (2003). Human colon cancer cells undergo apoptosis by theaflavin digallate, epigallocatechin gallate, and oolong tea polyphenol extract. J Herbs Spices and Med Plants, 10, 29-38. https://doi.org/10.1300/J044v10n01_04
- Gulcin I (2012). Antioxidant activity of food constituents: an overview. Arch Toxicol, 86, 345-91. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00204-011-0774-2
- Han BH, Park MH (1986). Folk medicine: The Art and Science. The American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, p. 205-21.
- Hangen L, Bennink MR (2002). Consumption of black beans and navy beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) reduced azoxymethaneinduced colon cancer in rats. Nutr Cancer, 44, 60-5. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327914NC441_8
- Hirao A, Kong YY, Matsuoka S, et al (2000). DNA damageinduced activation of p53 by the checkpoint kinase ChK2. Science, 287, 1824-7. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.287.5459.1824
- Kirtikar, KR, Basu, BD (1984). Indian Medicinal Plants, Lalit Mohan Basu, Allahabad, p. 593-610.
- Leonardi T, Vanamala J, Taddeo SS, et al (2010). Apigenin and naringenin suppress colon carcinogenesis through the aberrant crypt stage in azoxymethane-treated rats. Exp Biol Med, 235, 710-7. https://doi.org/10.1258/ebm.2010.009359
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Fait AL, et al (1951). Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem, 193, 265-75.
- Nicholson DW, Thornberry NA (1997). Caspases: killer proteases. Trends Biochem Sci, 22, 299-306. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0968-0004(97)01085-2
- Nicholson DW, Ali A, Thornberry NA, et al (1995). Identification and inhibition of the ICE/CED-3 protease necessary for mammalian apoptosis. Nature, 376, 37-43. https://doi.org/10.1038/376037a0
- Shiraishi R, Fujise T, Kuroki T, et al (2009). Long-term ingestion of reduced glutathione suppressed an accelerating effect of beef tallow diet on colon carcinogenesis in rats. Gastroenterol, 44, 1026-35. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00535-009-0101-3
- Olatunde EF (2003). African indigenous plants with chemo therapeutic potentials and biotechnological approach to the production of bioactive prophylactic agents. African J Biotechnol, 2, 662-71. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJB2003.000-1122
- Said A, Huefner A, Tabl ESAA, Fawzy G (2006). Two new cyclic amino acids from the seeds and antiviral activity of methanolic extract of the roots of Zizyphus spina-christi. Paper presented at the 54th Annual Congress on Medicinal Plant Research. Research, Helsinki, Finland.
- Schafer FQ, Buettner GR (2001). Redox environment of the cell as viewed through the redox state of the glutathione disulfide/ glutathione couple. Free Radical Bio Med, 30, 1191-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(01)00480-4
- Steller H (1995). Mechanisms and genes of cellular suicide. Science, 267, 1445-9. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.7878463
- Singleton L, Rossi A (1965). Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Vitic, 16, 144-58.
- Tewari M, Quan LT, O'Rourke K, et al (1995). Yama/CPP32b, a mammalian homolog of CED-3, is a CrmA-inhibitable protease that cleaves the death substrate poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase. Cell, 81, 801-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(95)90541-3
- Tsunada S, Iwakiri R, Noda T, et al (2003). Chronic exposure to subtoxic levels of peroxidized lipids suppresses mucosal cell turnover in rat small intestine and reversal by glutathione. Dig Dis Sci, 48, 210-22. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021775524062
- Yossef HE, Khedr AA, Mahran MZ (2011). Hepatoprotective activity and antioxidant effects of El Nabka (Zizyphusspinachristi) fruits on rats hepatotoxicity induced by carbon tetrachloride. Nature and Science, 9, 1-7.
- Wu B, Iwakiri R, Ootani A, et al (2004). Dietary corn oil promotes colon cancer. Ex Biol Med, 229, 1017-25. https://doi.org/10.1177/153537020422901005
- Crude extract of Polygonum cuspidatum stimulates immune responses in normal mice by increasing the percentage of Mac-3-positive cells and enhancing macrophage phagocytic activity and natural killer cell cytotoxicity vol.11, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2014.2739
- Luteolin, a Bioflavonoid Inhibits Colorectal Cancer through Modulation of Multiple Signaling Pathways: A Review vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5501
- Antioxidant value and Antiproliferative Efficacy of Mitragynine and a Silane Reduced Analogue vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5659
- Canola Oil Influence on Azoxymethane-induced Colon Carcinogenesis, Hypertriglyceridemia and Hyperglycemia in Kunming Mice vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2477
- Dietary Ziziphus jujuba Fruit Influence on Aberrant Crypt Formation and Blood Cells in Colitis-Associated Colorectal Cancer Mice vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7561
- Identification by SEM and screening of antibacterial and antioxidant activity of Pteropyrum Scoparium Jaub & Spach Leaves using green solvent extracts vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13596-016-0229-7
- Anti-proliferative and Apoptotic Effects of Basella rubra (L.) Against 1, 2-Dimethyl Hydrazine-induced Colon Carcinogenesis in Rats vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.73
- Ameliorative Effects of Pomegranate Peel Extract against Dietary-Induced Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver in Rats vol.21, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2016.21.1.14
- Immune Cells Activity, Nitrite Scanvenging and ABTS Radical Scavenging Activities of Codonopsis lanceolata Ethanol Extracts from Districts in Korea vol.29, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2016.29.3.289
- Folate/Vitamin B12 Supplementation Combats Oxidative Stress-Associated Carcinogenesis in a Rat Model of Colon Cancer pp.1532-7914, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2018.1513047
- Ziziphus spina-christi leaf extract pretreatment inhibits liver and spleen injury in a mouse model of sepsis via anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects vol.26, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10787-017-0439-8