- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Screening in the Era of Economic Crisis: Misperceptions and Misuse from a Longitudinal Study on Greek Women Undergoing Benign Vacuum-assisted Breast Biopsy
- Domeyer, Philip John (Breast Unit, Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippokrateio Hospital, Medical School, University of Athens) ;
- Sergentanis, Theodoros Nikolaos (Breast Unit, Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippokrateio Hospital, Medical School, University of Athens) ;
- Katsari, Vasiliki (Department of Social and Educational Policy, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Peloponnese) ;
- Souliotis, Kyriakos (Department of Social and Educational Policy, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Peloponnese) ;
- Mariolis, Anargiros (Health Center of Areopolis, Health Care Regional Administration) ;
- Zagouri, Flora (Breast Unit, Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippokrateio Hospital, Medical School, University of Athens) ;
- Zografos, George Constantine (Breast Unit, Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippokrateio Hospital, Medical School, University of Athens)
- Published : 2013.09.30
Background: To evaluate knowledge about screening tests and tests without proven screening value in a Greek Breast Unit population undergoing benign vacuum-assisted breast biopsy (VABB). Materials and Methods: This study included 81 patients. Three knowledge-oriented items (recommended or not, screening frequency, age of onset) were assessed. Regarding screening tests two levels of knowledge were evaluated: i). crude knowledge (CK), i.e. knowledge that the test is recommended and ii). advanced knowledge (AK), i.e. correct response to all three knowledge-oriented items. Solely CK was evaluated for tests without proven screening value. Risk factors for lack of knowledge were assessed with multivariate logistic regression. A second questionnaire was administered 18 months after VABB to assess its impact on the performance of tests. Results: Concerning screening tests considerable lack of AK was noted (mammogram, 60.5%; Pap smear, 59.3%; fecal occult blood testing, 93.8%; sigmoidoscopy, 95.1%). Similarly lack of CK was documented regarding tests without proven screening value (breast self-examination, 92.6%; breast MRI, 60.5%; abdominal ultrasound, 71.6%; barium meal, 48.1%; urine analysis, 90.1%; chest X-Ray, 69.1%; electrocardiogram, 74.1%; cardiac ultrasound, 75.3%). Risk factors for lack of AK were: place of residence (mammogram), age (Pap smear), personal income (sigmoidoscopy); risk factors for lack of CK included number of offspring (breast MRI, chest X-Ray), BMI (abdominal ultrasound), marital status (urine analysis), current smoking status (electrocardiogram). VABB's only effect was improvement in mammogram rates. Conclusions: A considerable lack of knowledge concerning screening tests and misperceptions regarding those without proven value was documented.
Cancer screening;mammogram;breast MRI;breast self-examination;pap smear;sigmoidoscopy
- Moore EE, Hawes SE, Scholes D, et al (2008). Sexual intercourse and risk of symptomatic urinary tract infection in postmenopausal women. J Gen Intern Med, 23, 595-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-008-0535-y
- Myong JP, Kim HR (2012). Impacts of household income and economic recession on participation in colorectal cancer screening in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1857-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1857
- Oikonomou N, Tountas Y (2011). The Greek economic crisis: a primary health-care perspective. Lancet, 377, 28-9.
- Vittoraki A, Alexiou G, Karakatsanis A, et al (2007). Tumour marker prescriptions for cancer screening in the Hellenic primary care. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl), 16, 86-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2006.00710.x
- Sangrajrang S, Chokvanitphong V, Sumetchotimaytha W, Khuhaprema T (2012). Evaluation of health status of a population underwent routine medical check up at the high risk screening clinic in National Cancer Institute. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5759-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5759
- Sergentanis TN, Zagouri F, Domeyer P, et al (2009). Biopsy method: a major predictor of adherence after benign breast biopsy? AJR Am J Roentgenol, 193, 452-7. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.08.1061
- Skroumpelos A, Zavras D, Pavi E, Kyriopoulos J (2013). Recommending organized screening programs for adults in Greece: a Delphi consensus study. Health Policy, 109, 38-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthpol.2012.08.003
- Xilomenos A, Mauri D, Kamposioras K, et al (2006). Panhellenic Association for Continual Medical Research (PACMeR). Colorectal cancer screening awareness among physicians in Greece. BMC Gastroenterol, 6, 18. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-230X-6-18
- Zografos GC, Zagouri F, Sergentanis TN, et al (2008). Minimizing underestimation rate of microcalcifications excised via vacuum-assisted breast biopsy: a blind study. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 109, 397-402. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-007-9662-0
- Zografos GC, Zagouri F, Sergentanis TN, et al (2008). Pain during vacuum-assisted breast biopsy: are there any predictors? Breast, 17, 592-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2008.06.002
- Zografos GC, Sergentanis TN, Zagouri F, et al (2010). Breast self-examination and adherence to mammographic followup: an intriguing diptych after benign breast biopsy. Eur J Cancer Prev, 19, 71-2. https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0b013e32832926e8
- Dershaw DD (2003). Imaging-guided Interventional Breast Techniques. Springer.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (2010-2011). Guide to Clinical Preventive Services, 2010-2011. Recommendations of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.
- Dimitrakaki C, Boulamatsis D, Mariolis A, et al (2009). Use of cancer screening services in Greece and associated social factors: results from the nation-wide Hellas Health I survey. Eur J Cancer Prev, 18, 248-57.
- Domeyer PJ, Sergentanis TN, Zagouri F, Zografos GC (2010). Health-related quality of life in vacuum-assisted breast biopsy: short-term effects, long-term effects and predictors. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 27, 11.
- Giorgi Rossi P, Ronco G (2013). The present and future of cervical cancer screening programmes in Europe. Curr Pharm Des, 19, 1490-7.
- Bronner K, Mesters I, Weiss-Meilik A, et al (2013). Determinants of adherence to screening by colonoscopy in individuals with a family history of colorectal cancer. Patient Educ Couns, [Epub ahead of print].
- Gounaris A, Zagouri F, Sergentanis TN, et al (2007). Vacuumassisted breast biopsy: insight into stress-induced endocrine events. In Vivo, 21, 1081-4.
- Hakama M, Coleman MP, Alexe DM, Auvinen A (2008). Cancer screening: evidence and practice in Europe 2008. Eur J Cancer, 44, 1404-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.02.013
- Janz NK, Becker MH, Haefner DP, Rutt WM, Weissfeld LA (1990). Determinants of breast self-examination after a benign biopsy. Am J Prev Med, 6, 84-92.
- Kamposioras K, Casazza G, Mauri D, et al (2006). Screening chest radiography: results from a Greek cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Health, 6, 113. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-6-113
- Kosters JP, Gøtzsche PC (2003). Regular self-examination or clinical examination for early detection of breast cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2, 3373.
- Kamposioras K, Mauri D, Alevizaki P, et al (2008). Cancer screening in Greece. Guideline awareness and prescription behavior among Hellenic physicians. Eur J Intern Med, 19, 452-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2007.10.018
- Kamposioras K, Mauri D, Golfinopoulos V, et al (2007). Colorectal cancer screening coverage in Greece. PACMeR 02.01 study collaboration. Int J Colorectal Dis, 22, 475-81. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-006-0186-6
- Kendall KA, Lee E, Zuckerman IH, et al (2013). Obesity status and colorectal cancer screening in the United States. J Obes, [Epub ahead of print].
- Levy BT, Nordin T, Sinift S, Rosenbaum M, James PA (2007). Why hasn't this patient been screened for colon cancer? An Iowa Research Network study. J Am Board Fam Med, 20, 458-68. https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2007.05.070058
- Martin-Lopez R, Jimenez-Garcia R, Lopez-de-Andres A, et al (2013). Inequalities in uptake of breast cancer screening in Spain: analysis of a cross-sectional national survey. Public Health, [Epub ahead of print].
- Mauri D, Valachis A, Polyzos NP, et al (2009). Screening practice and misplaced priorities. Clin Transl Oncol, 11, 228-36. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12094-009-0345-7
- Stereotactic Vacuum-Assisted Core Biopsy Results for Non-Palpable Breast Lesions vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5171