- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Mechanistic Analysis of Taxol-induced Multidrug Resistance in an Ovarian Cancer Cell Line
- Wang, Ning-Ning (Department of Gynecological Oncology Surgery, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Institute, Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Zhao, Li-Jun (Department of Gynecological Oncology Surgery, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Institute, Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Wu, Li-Nan (Department of Gynecological Oncology Surgery, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Institute, Nanjing Medical University) ;
- He, Ming-Feng (Nanjing University of Technology School of Pharmaceutical Science) ;
- Qu, Jun-Wei (Department of Gynecological Oncology Surgery, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Institute, Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Zhao, Yi-Bing (Department of Gynecological Oncology Surgery, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Institute, Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Zhao, Wan-Zhou (Sino-EU Biomedical Innovation Center (SEBIC), OG Pharma Corporation) ;
- Li, Jie-Shou (Department of General Surgery, Nanjing General Hospital of Nanjing Military Command) ;
- Wang, Jin-Hua (Department of Gynecological Oncology Surgery, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Institute, Nanjing Medical University)
- Published : 2013.09.30
Objectives: To establish a taxol-resistant cell line of human ovarian carcinoma (A2780/Taxol) and investigate its biological features. Methods: The drug-resistant cell line (A2780/Taxol) was established by continuous stepwise selection with increasing concentrations of Taxol. Cell morphology was assessed by microscopy and growth curves were generated with in vitro and in vivo tumor xenograft models. With rhodamine123 (Rh123) assays, cell cycle distribution and the apoptotic rate were analyzed by flow cytometry (FCM). Drug resistance-related and signal associated proteins, including P-gp, MRPs, caveolin-1, PKC-
- Cantley LC (2002). The phosphoinositide 3-kinase pathway. Science, 296, 1655-7. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.296.5573.1655
- Chauhan D, Tian Z, Nicholson B, et al (2012). A small molecule inhibitor of ubiquitin-specific protease-7 induces apoptosis in multiple myeloma cells and overcomes bortezomib resistance. Cancer Cell, 22, 345-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccr.2012.08.007
- Di Michele M, Della Corte A, Cicchillitti L, et al (2009). A proteomic approach to paclitaxel chemoresistance in ovarian cancer cell lines. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1794, 225-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbapap.2008.09.017
- Doddareddy MR, Rawling T, Ammit AJ(2012).Targeting mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase-1 (MKP-1): structure-based design of MKP-1 inhibitors and upregulators. Curr Med Chem, 19, 163-73. https://doi.org/10.2174/092986712803414196
- Downward J (2003). Targeting RAS signaling pathways in cancer therapy. Nat Rev Cancer, 3, 11-22. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc969
- Hiss D (2012). Optimizing molecular-targeted therapies in ovarian cancer: the renewed surge of interest in ovarian cancer biomarkers and cell signaling pathways. J Oncol, 2012, 737981.
- Hoshino R, Chatani Y, Yamori T, et al (1999). Constitutive activation of the 41/43-kDa mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathway in human tumors. Oncogene, 18, 813-22. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1202367
- Kim H, Park GS, Lee JE, et al (2013). A leukotriene B4 receptor-2 is associated with paclitaxel resistance in MCF-7/ DOX breast cancer cells. Br J Cancer, 109, 351-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2013.333
- LeBlanc R, Catley LP, Hideshima T, et al(2002). Proteasome inhibitor PS-341 inhibits human myeloma cell growth in vivo and prolongs survival in a murine model. Cancer Res, 62, 4996-5000.
- Liu HZ, Yu C, Yang Z, et al (2011). Tubeimoside I sensitizes cisplatin in cisplatin-resistant human ovarian cancer cells (A2780/DDP) through down-regulation of ERK and upregulation of p38 signaling pathways. Mol Med Report, 4, 985-92.
- Mackay HJ, Twelves CJ (2003). Protein kinase C: a target for anticancer drugs? Endocr Relat Cancer, 10, 389-96. https://doi.org/10.1677/erc.0.0100389
- McCubrey JA, Steelman LS, Chappell WH, et al (2012). Ras/ Raf/MEK/ERK and PI3K/PTEN/Akt/mTOR cascade inhibitors: how mutations can result in therapy resistance and how to overcome resistance. Oncotarget, 3, 1068-111.
- Navolanic PM, Steelman LS, McCubrey JA (2003). EGFR family signaling and its association with breast cancer development and resistance to chemotherapy (Review). Int J Oncol, 22, 237-52.
- Paraiso KH, Smalley KS (2013).Fibroblast-mediated drug resistance in cancer. Biochem Pharmacol, 85, 1033-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2013.01.018
- Perez-Tomas R(2006). Multidrug resistance: retrospect and prospects in anti- cancer drug treatment. Curr Med Chem, 13, 1859-76. https://doi.org/10.2174/092986706777585077
- Salem AF, Bonuccelli G, Bevilacqua G, et al (2011). Caveolin-1 promotes pancreatic cancer cell differentiation and restores membranous E-cadherin via suppression of the epithelialmesenchymal transition. Cell Cycle, 10, 3692-700. https://doi.org/10.4161/cc.10.21.17895
- Sui H, Fan ZZ, Li Q (2012).Signal transduction pathways and transcriptional mechanisms of ABCB1/Pgp-mediated multiple drug resistance in human cancer cells. J Int Med Res, 40, 426-35. https://doi.org/10.1177/147323001204000204
- Szakacs G, Paterson J, Ludwig JA, et al (2006). Targeting multidrug resistance in cancer. Nat Rev Drug Discov, 5, 219-34. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd1984
- Tanaka Y, Gavrielides MV, Mitsuuchi Y, et al (2003). Protein kinase C promotes apoptosis in LNCaP prostate cancer cells through activation of p38 MAPK and inhibition of the Akt survival pathway. J Biol Chem, 278, 33753-62. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M303313200
- Wang JH, Zhao WZ, Chen XX, et al (2010). Establishment and biological characterization of Cisplatin-resistant cell line OV1228/Taxol of ovarian carcinoma. Chin J Cancer Prev Treat, 22, 281-4.
- Wee S, Wiederschain D, Maira SM, et al (2008). PTEN-deficient cancers depend on PIK3CB. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 105, 13057-62. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0802655105
- Wen J, Zheng B, Hu Y, et al (2009). Establishment and biological analysis of the EC109/CDDP multidrug-resistant esophageal squamous cell carcinoma cell line. Oncol Rep, 22, 65-71.
- Wu DL, Huang F, Lu HZ(2003). Drug-resistant proteins in breast cancer: recent progress in multidrug resistance [J]. Chin J Cancer, 22, 441-4. [in Chinese]
- Yan XD, Li M, Yuan Y, et al (2007). Biological comparison of ovarian cancer resistant cell lines to cisplatin and Taxol by two different administrations. Oncol Rep, 17, 1163-9.
- Yang SH, Sharrocks AD, Whitmarsh AJ (2013). MAP kinase signalling cascades and transcriptional regulation. Gene, 513, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gene.2012.10.033
Zhao LJ, Xu H, Qu JW (2012). Modulation of drug resistance in ovarian cancer cells by inhibition of protein kinase C-alpha (PKC-
$\alpha$) with small interference RNA (siRNA) agents. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3631-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3631
- Zhe C, Li-Juan W, Ming Hui W, et al (2011). Mechanism governing reversal of multidrug resistance in human breast carcinoma cells by chelerythrine. Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao, 33, 45-50.
- Over-Expression of Beclin-1 Facilitates Acquired Resistance to Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor-Induced Apoptosis vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7913
- Deciphering mechanisms of drug sensitivity and resistance to Selective Inhibitor of Nuclear Export (SINE) compounds vol.15, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-015-1790-z
- pathway is associated with Advanced Ovarian Cancer in Saudi Patients vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5807
- Evaluation of Effects of Metformin in Primary Ovarian Cancer Cells vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.6973
- Mda-7/IL-24 enhances sensitivity of B cell lymphoma to chemotherapy drugs vol.35, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2016.4622
- Caveolin-1 affects tumor drug resistance in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma by regulating expressions of P-gp and MRP1 vol.37, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-4778-z
- LC-MS Based Sphingolipidomic Study on A2780 Human Ovarian Cancer Cell Line and its Taxol-resistant Strain vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1038/srep34684
- Exploration of 2-((Pyridin-4-ylmethyl)amino)nicotinamide Derivatives as Potent Reversal Agents against P-Glycoprotein-Mediated Multidrug Resistance vol.60, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.6b01879
- )yl)ethyl)phenyl)quinazolin-4-amine Derivatives: Novel Inhibitors Reversing P-Glycoprotein-Mediated Multidrug Resistance vol.60, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.6b01787
- Astragalus polysaccharides increase the sensitivity of SKOV3 cells to cisplatin pp.1432-0711, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-017-4580-9
- A Combination Therapy with Baicalein and Taxol Promotes Mitochondria-Mediated Cell Apoptosis: Involving in Akt/β-Catenin Signaling Pathway vol.35, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1089/dna.2016.3312
- Silencing Aurora A leads to re-sensitization of breast cancer cells to Taxol through downregulation of SRC-mediated ERK and mTOR pathways vol.38, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2017.5908
- Reversal effect of adenovirus-mediated human interleukin 24 transfection on the cisplatin resistance of A549/DDP lung cancer cells vol.38, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2017.6002
- Plant Secondary Metabolites as Anticancer Agents: Successes in Clinical Trials and Therapeutic Application vol.19, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19010263