- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Alcohol Consumption and Risk of Cancer: a Systematic Literature Review
- de Menezes, Raquel Ferreira (National Cancer Institute (INCA)) ;
- Bergmann, Anke (National Cancer Institute (INCA)) ;
- Thuler, Luiz Claudio Santos (National Cancer Institute (INCA))
- Published : 2013.09.30
This study aimed to discuss the consumption of alcohol as a risk factor for major cancers. We performed a search in the PubMed database, using the following inclusion criteria: meta-analysis published in English in the last 10 years that addressed the relationship between alcohol and the risk of developing cancer. The results indicate that moderate to heavy consumption of alcohol increases the risk of developing cancer of the oral cavity and pharynx, esophagus, stomach, larynx, colorectum, central nervous system, pancreas, breast and prostate. This review did not find any association between alcohol consumption and an increased risk of cancers of the lung, bladder, endometrium and ovary. It was also observed that alcohol consumption may be inversely related to thyroid cancer. Our systematic review has confirmed consumption of alcohol as a risk factor for the development of several types of cancer.
Alcoholic beverages;neoplasms;risk and meta-analysis
- Boffetta P, Hashibe M (2006). Alcohol and Cancer. Lancet Oncol, 7, 149-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(06)70577-0
- Bagnardi V, Blangiardo M, La Vecchia C, Corrao G (2001). A meta-analysis of alcohol drinking and cancer risk. Br J Cancer, 85, 1700-5. https://doi.org/10.1054/bjoc.2001.2140
- Bagnardi V, Rota M, Botteri E, et al (2011). Alcohol consumption and lung cancer risk in never smokers: a meta-analysis. Ann Oncol, 22, 2631-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr027
- Bagnardi V, Rota M, Botteri E, et al (2012). Light alcohol drinking and cancer: a meta-analysis. Ann Oncol, 24, 1-8.
- Bray F, Jernal A, Grey N, Ferlay J, Formam D (2012). Global cancer transitions according to the human development index (2008-2030): a population-based study. Lancet Oncol, 13, 790-801. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(12)70211-5
- Doll R, Forman D, La Vecchia C and Woutersen R (1999). Alcoholic beverages and cancers of the digestive tract and larynx. In: Macdonald I, ed. Health Issue related to Alcohol Consumption. 2 ed. Oxford: ILSI Europe-Blackwell Science Ltd, 351-93.
- Friberg E, Orsini N, Mantzoros CS, Wolk A (2010). Alcohol intake and endometrial cancer risk: a meta-analysis of prospective studies. Br J Cancer, 103, 127-31. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605698
- Ferdiko V, Tramacere I, Bagnardi V, et al (2011). Alcohol drinking and colorectal cancer risk: an overall and doseresponse meta-analysis of published studies. Ann Oncol, 22, 1958-72. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq653
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917 https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Fillmore KM, Chikritzha T, Stockwell T, Bostrom A, Pascal R (2009). Alcohol use and prostate cancer: a meta-analysis. Mol Nutr Food Res, 53, 240-55. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.200800122
- Galeone C, Malerba S, Rota M, et al (2012). A meta-analysis of alcohol consumption and the risk of brain tumours. Ann Oncol, 24, 1-10.
- Key J, Hodgson S, Omar RZ, et al (2006). Meta-analysis of studies of alcohol and breast cancer with consideration of the methodological issues. Cancer Causes Control, 17, 759-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-006-0011-0
- Hamajima K, Hirose K, Tajima K, et al (2002). Alcohol, tobacco and breast cancer-collaborative reanalysis of individual data from 53 epidemiological studies, including 58,515 women with breast cancer and 95,067 women without the disease. Br J Cancer, 87, 1234-45. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600596
- Inoue HM, Wakai K, Nagata C, et al (2007). Alcohol drinking and total cancer risk: an evaluation based on a systematic review of epidemiologic evidence among the Japanese population. Research group for the development and evaluation of cancer prevention strategies in Japan. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 37, 692-700. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hym085
- Islami F, Tramacere I, Rotta M, et al (2010). Alcohol drinking and laryngeal cancer: overall and dose-risk relation. A systematic review and meta-analysis. Oral Oncol, 46, 802-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2010.07.015
- Mao Q, Lin Y, Zheg X, et al (2010). A meta-analysis of alcohol intake and risk of bladder cancer. Cancer Causes Control, 21, 1843-50. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-010-9611-9
- Kitahara CM, Linet MS, Freeman LEB, et al (2012). Cigarette smoking, alcohol intake, and thyroid cancer risk: a pooled analysis of five prospective studies in the United States. Cancer Causes Control, 23, 1615-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-012-0039-2
- Lubin JH, Cook MB, Pandeya N, et al (2012). The importance of exposure rate on odds ratios by cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption for esophageal adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma in the barret's esophagus and esophageal adenocarcinoma consortium. Cancer Epidemiol, 36, 306-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2012.03.001
- Mack, WJ, Preston-Martin S, Dal Maso L, et al (2003). A pooled analysis of case-control studies of thyroid cancer: cigarette smoking and consumption of alcohol, coffee, and tea. Cancer Causes Control, 14, 773-85. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026349702909
- Moskal A, Norat T, Ferrari P, Riboli E (2007). Alcohol intake and colorectal cancer risk: a dose-response meta-analysis of published cohort studies. Int J Cancer, 120, 664-71. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.22299
- Rosenthal JA (1996). Qualitative descriptors of strength of association and effect size. J Soc Serv Res, 21, 37-59. https://doi.org/10.1300/J079v21n04_02
- Pelucchi C, Gallus S, Garavello W, Bosetti C, La Vecchia C (2006). Cancer risk associated with alcohol and tobacco use: focus on upper aerodigestive tract and liver. Alcohol Res Health, 29, 193-8.
- Pelucchi C, Galeone C, Tramacere I, et al (2011). Alcohol drinking and bladder cancer risk: a meta-analysis. Ann Oncol, 23, 1586-93.
- Poschl G, Seitz HK (2004). Alcohol and cancer. Alcohol Alcohol, 39, 155-65. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agh057
- Rota M, Pasquali E, Scotti L, et al (2012). Alcohol drinking and epithelial ovarian cancer risk. A systematic review and meta-analysis. Gynecol Oncol, 125, 758-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2012.03.031
- Seitz HK, Poschl G, Simanowski UA (1998). Alcohol and cancer. In Recent Development in Alcoholism: The Consequences of Alcoholism, Galanler. M. ed., 67-96.
- Tramacere I, Negri E, Bagnardi V, et al (2010). A meta-analysis of alcohol drinking and oral and pharyngeal cancers. Part 1: overall results and dose-risk relation. Oral Oncol, 46, 497-503. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2010.03.024
- Seitz HK, Stickel F (2007). Molecular mechanisms of alcoholmediated carcinogenesis. Nat Rev Cancer, 7, 599-612. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc2191
- Seitz HK, Pelucchi C, Bagnardi V, Vecchia CL (2012). Epidemiology and pathophysiology of alcohol and breast cancer: update 2012. Alcohol Alcohol, 47, 204-12. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/ags011
- Sun Q, Xu L, Zhou B, et al (2011). Alcohol consumption and the risk of endometrial cancer: a meta-analysis. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr, 20, 125-33.
- Tramacere I, Scotti L, Jenab M, et al (2010). Alcohol drinking and pancreatic cancer risk: a meta-analysis of the dose-risk relation. Int J Cancer, 126, 1474-86.
- Tramacere I, Pelucchi C, Bagnardi V, et al (2011). A metaanalysis on alcohol drinking and esophageal and gastric cardia adenocarcinoma risk. Ann Oncol, 23, 287-97.
- Uehara Y, Kiyohara C (2010). Alcohol consumption and lung cancer risk among Japanese: a meta-analysis. Fukuoka Igaku Zasshi, 101-8.
- Tramacere I, Negri E, Pelucchi C, et al (2012). A meta-analysis on alcohol drinking and gastric cancer risk. Ann Oncol, 23, 28-36. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr135
- Turati F, Gallus S, Tavani A, et al (2010). A meta-analysis of alcohol drinking and oral and pharyngeal cancers. Part: 2 Results by subsites. Oral Oncol, 46, 720-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2010.07.010
- Turati F, Garavello W, Tramacere I, et al (2010). Alcohol and endometrial cancer risk: a case-control study and a metaanalysis. Cancer Causes Control, 21, 1285-96. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-010-9556-z
- Winstanley MH, Pratt I, Chapman K, et al (2011). Alcohol and cancer: a position statement from cancer council Australia. Med J Australia, 194, 479-82.
- Null Glutathione S-transferase T1 and M1 Genotypes and Oral Cancer Susceptibility in China and India - a Meta-analysis vol.15, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.287
- Relation of Alcohol/Tobacco use with Metastasis, Hormonal (Estrogen and Progesterone) Receptor Status and c-erbB2 Protein in Mammary Ductal Carcinoma vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5709
- Emerging and Established Global Life-Style Risk Factors for Cancer of the Upper Aero-Digestive Tract vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.5983
- Reliability and Validity of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test - Consumption in Screening for Adults with Alcohol Use Disorders and Risky Drinking In Japan vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6571
- A Volunteer Alcohol Consumption Reduction Campaign: Participatory Action Research among Thai Women in the Isaan Region vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7343
- Association of Risk of Gastric Cancer and Consumption of Tobacco, Alcohol and Tea in the Chinese Population vol.15, pp.20, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.8765
- Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma Risk Factors in French Polynesia vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2675
- Relationship between prolactin, breast cancer risk, and antipsychotics in patients with schizophrenia: a critical review vol.133, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/acps.12459
- Effect of Carrot Intake in the Prevention of Gastric Cancer: A Meta-Analysis vol.15, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5230/jgc.2015.15.4.256
- Village Voices: Lessons about Processes for Disease Prevention from a Qualitative Study of Family Health Leaders in a Community in Northeastern Thailand vol.16, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.10.4401
- Molecular Links between Alcohol and Tobacco Induced DNA Damage, Gene Polymorphisms and Patho-physiological Consequences: A Systematic Review of Hepatic Carcinogenesis vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4803
- Epidemiological Study of Laryngeal Carcinoma in Western Nepal vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6541
- Classification models based on the level of metals in hair and nails of laryngeal cancer patients: diagnosis support or rather speculation? vol.7, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1039/C4MT00285G
- Risk of Alcohol Consumption in Bladder Cancer: Case-Control Study from a Nationwide Inpatient Database in Japan vol.239, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1620/tjem.239.9
- Modifiable risk factors for the prevention of bladder cancer: a systematic review of meta-analyses vol.31, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-016-0138-6
- dietary patterns and risk of pancreatic and renal cancers vol.47, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-03-2017-0053
- Alcohol Intake and Risk of Breast Cancer by Histologic Subtype and Estrogen Receptor Status Among Women Aged 55 to 74 Years vol.8, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12672-017-0297-2
- Advanced-stage tongue and mouth floor cancer is related to tobacco and alcohol abuse pp.1613-2238, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10389-017-0859-3
- Alcohol consumption and risk of myelodysplastic syndromes: A meta-analysis of epidemiological studies vol.2, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2014.376
- Association between UGT1A1 Polymorphism and Risk of Laryngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma vol.13, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph13010112
- Cancer in an Historic Washington DC African American Population and Its Geospatial Distribution vol.8, pp.2234-943X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2018.00383
- Alcohol, smoking, and risk of Her2-overexpressing and triple-negative breast cancer relative to estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer vol.143, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.31575