- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Structural Equation Modeling on Case Management Outcomes and Factors Influencing Outcomes in the Community-dwelling Vulnerable Elders
취약계층 재가노인의 사례관리 성과와 영향요인에 관한 구조모형 구축
- Moon, Hyunjung (Department of Nursing, Far East University) ;
- Lee, In-Sook (College of Nursing, The Research Institute of Nursing Science, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2013.09.01
- Accepted : 2013.11.20
- Published : 2013.12.31
Purpose: This study was done to test a structural equation modeling of case management outcomes in order to identify parameters affecting case management outcomes for the community-dwelling vulnerable elders. Methods: Data were collected from 309 nurses (case managers) and community-dwelling vulnerable elders (clients) from public health centers. For data analysis, descriptive statistics, Pearson correlation analysis, factor analysis, and covariance structure analysis were performed using SPSS Version 18.0 for Windows and Amos 16.0. Results: The hypothetical model had an acceptable fit: GFI=.97, CFI=.95, RMSEA=.02, SRMR=.05. The factor "case managers' singularity" had the greatest impact on case management outcomes in this model. In addition, the factor "case management practice" influenced case management outcomes; however, client characteristics did not. Case managers' singularity affected case management outcomes directly and indirectly, with case management practice mediating the latter effect. Conclusion: These results suggest that the causal relationship between case management outcomes and factors influencing these outcomes should be clarified through longitudinal research including a variety of client characteristics. In addition, in future studies, analysis of the effects of programs to improve manpower quality and examine the relationships among case management outcomes should be done.
- Aliotta, S. L. (2000). Focus on case management: Linking outcomes and accountability. Topics in Health Information Management, 20(3), 11-16.
- Austin, C. D. (2002). Case management: Who needs it? Does it work? Care Management Journals, 3(4), 178-184. https://doi.org/10.1891/cmaj.18.104.22.168456
- Bjorkman, T., & Hansson, L. (2001). Client satisfaction with case management: A study of 10 pilot services in Sweden. Journal of Mental Health, 10(2), 163-174. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09638230123831 https://doi.org/10.1080/09638230123831
- Chamberlain, R., & Rapp, C. A. (1991). A decade of case management: A methodological review of outcome research. Community Mental Health Journal, 27(3), 171-188. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00752419
- Draine, J., & Solomon, P. (1996). Case manager alliance with clients in an older cohort. Community Mental Health Journal, 32(2), 125-134. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02249750
- Drennan, V., & Goodman, C. (2004). Nurse-led case management for older people with long-term conditions. British Journal of Community Nursing, 9(12), 527-533. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjcn.2004.9.12.17241
- Frich, L. M. (2003). Nursing interventions for patients with chronic conditions. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 44(2), 137-153. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02779.x
- Hadjistavropoulos, H. D., Sagan, M., Bierlein, C., & Lawson, K. (2003). Development of a case management quality questionnaire. Care Management Journals, 4(1), 8-17. https://doi.org/10.1891/cmaj.22.214.171.124475
- Hallberg, I. R., & Kristensson, J. (2004). Preventive home care of frail older people: A review of recent case management studies. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 13(6B), 112-120. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2004.01054.x
- Han, M. H. (1987). A study of the role conflict and job satisfaction of public health nurses in Seoul health centers. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Horvath, A. O., & Greenberg, L. S. (1989). Development and validation of the working alliance inventory. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 36(2), 223-233. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-0126.96.36.199 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0188.8.131.52
- Jang, K. S. (2000). A study on establishment of clinical career development model of nurses. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- June, K. J., Lee, J. Y., & Yoon, J. L. (2009). Effects of case management using resident assessment instrument-home care (RAI-HC) in home health services for older people. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 39(3), 366-375. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.3.366 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.3.366
- Kang, H. Y. (1995). An analysis of differences in working alliance by counselor experience level. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Kim, G. S. (2010). Structural equation modeling with AMOS 18.0. Seoul: Hannarae Publishing Co.
- Kim, S. B., Jung, M. Y., Jung, H. S., & Jin, J. G. (2001). Organizational behavior (3rd ed.). Seoul: Minyoungsa.
- Kim, S. J., Choi, M. S., & Sung, K. W. (2010). Variables affecting competency of nurses in nursing homes. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 12(1), 29-39.
- King, R., Meadows, G., & Le Bas, J. (2004). Compiling a caseload index for mental health case management. The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 38(6), 455-462. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1614.2004.01388.x https://doi.org/10.1080/j.1440-1614.2004.01388.x
- Luker, K. A., & Chalmers, K. I. (1990). Gaining access to clients: The case of health visiting. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 15(1), 74-82. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1990.tb01675.x
- Melis, R. J., van Eijken, M. I., Teerenstra, S., van Achterberg, T., Parker, S. G., Borm, G. F., et al. (2008). A randomized study of a multidisciplinary program to intervene on geriatric syndromes in vulnerable older people who live at home (Dutch EASYcare Study). The Journals of Gerontology. Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, 63(3), 283-290. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/63.3.283
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. (2010). Family health program guidelines. Seoul: Author.
- Nakatani, H., & Shimanouchi, S. (2004). Factors in care management affecting client outcomes in home care. Nursing & Health Sciences, 6(4), 239-246. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2004.00201.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2004.00201.x
- Neale, M. S., & Rosenheck, R. A. (1995). Therapeutic alliance and outcome in a VA intensive case management program. Psychiatric Services, 46(7), 719-721. https://doi.org/10.1176/ps.46.7.719
- Oeseburg, B., Wynia, K., Middel, B., & Reijneveld, S. A. (2009). Effects of case management for frail older people or those with chronic illness: A systematic review. Nursing Research, 58(3), 201-210. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/NNR.0b013e3181a30941 https://doi.org/10.1097/NNR.0b013e3181a30941
- Park, E. J. (2007). Review of patient satisfaction with case management. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 13(3), 311-320.
- Reimanis, C. L., Cohen, E. L., & Redman, R. (2001). Nurse case manager role attributes: Fifteen years of evidence-based literature. Lippincott's Case Management, 6(6), 230-239; quiz 240-232. https://doi.org/10.1097/00129234-200111000-00002
- Rosati, R. J., Marren, J. M., Davin, D. M., & Morgan, C. J. (2009). The linkage between employee and patient satisfaction in home healthcare. Journal for Healthcare Quality, 31(2), 44-53.
- Shin, S. A. (2009). Evaluating a community-based case management program for people with diabetes in Korea. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, La Trobe University, Bundoora, VIC, Australia.
- Stamps, P. L., Piedmont, E. B., Slavitt, D. B., & Haase, A. M. (1978). Measurement of work satisfaction among health professionals. Medical Care, 16(4), 337-352. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-197804000-00006
- Statistics Korea. (2010). Elderly statistics 2010. Daejeon: Author.