- Volume 40 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Association of FASN and SCD genes with fatty acid composition in broilers
- Maharani, Dyah (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Seo, Dong-Won (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Choi, Nu-Ri (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jin, Shil (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Cahyadi, Muhammad (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jo, Cheorun (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Jun-Heon (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University)
- 투고 : 2013.06.05
- 심사 : 2013.08.02
- 발행 : 2013.09.30
Fatty acids (FAs) were considered in activating nuclear hormone receptors that play significant roles in the cellular lipid metabolism by the regulation of several genes. Previously, fatty acid synthase (FASN) and stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD) genes have been known to regulating the FA metabolism. In this study, associations of FASN and SCD genes with fatty acid (FA) composition in broilers were investigated. Tissue samples from 95 Cobb 500 broilers were used for DNA extraction. The g.1222 A>G SNP located in intron 42 of FASN gene and 2 SNPs in SCD gene, one in exon 2 (g.3728A>G) and the other in exon 4 (g.12903G>A), were subjected for genotyping using PCR-RFLP method. One of the SNPs in SCD gene, SNP g.3728A>G had significant association with myristoleic acid (C14:1; P<0.05), palmitic acid (C16:0; P<0.05), palmitoleic acid (C16:1; P<0.05) and saturated FA (SFA; P<0.05). However, the SNP g.1222A>G in FASN gene had only suggestive association with arachidic acid (C20:0; P=0.08). The findings in this study suggest that the SNP in exon 2 of SCD gene can be used as a molecular marker for selecting birds having desirable FA composition in broilers.
연구 과제번호 : FTA Agriculture Research Project
연구 과제 주관 기관 : RDA
- Almeida JCD, Perassolo MS, Camargo JL, Bragagnolo N, Gross JL. 2006. Fatty acid composition and cholesterol content of beef and chicken meat in Southern Brazil. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 42:109-117.
- Bhuiyan MSA, Yu SL, Jeon JT, Yoon D, Cho YM, Park EW, Kim NK, Kim KS, Lee JH. 2009. DNA polymorphisms in SREBF1 and FASN genes affect fatty acid composition in Korean cattle (Hanwoo). Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences 22:765-773. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.80573
- Folch J, Lees M, Sloane Stanley GH. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 226:497-509.
- Gross JL, Zelmanovitz T, Moulin CC, De-Mello V, Perassolo M, Leitao C, Hoefel A, Paggi A, Azevedo MJ. 2002. Effect of a chicken based diet on renal function and lipid profile in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabete Care 25:645-651. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.25.4.645
- Grundy S.M. 1994. Influence of stearic acid on cholesterol metabolism relative to other long-chain fatty acids. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 60:986S-900S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/60.6.986S
- Jeon HJ, Choe JH, Jung Y, Kruk ZA, Lim DG, Jo C. 2010. Comparison of the chemical composition, textural characteristics, and sensory properties of North and South Korean native chickens and commercial broilers. Korean Journal for Food Science of Animal Resources 30:171-178. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.2.171
- Kasturi R, Chirala S, Pazirandeh M, Wakil SJ. 1988. Characterization of a genomic and cDNA clone coding for the thioesterase domain and 3' noncoding region of the chicken liver fatty acid synthase gene. Biochemistry 27:7778-7785. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi00420a029
- Kim YC, Ntambi JM. 1999. Regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturase genes: role in cellular metabolism and preadipocyte differentiation. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 266:1-4. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1999.1704
- Lee SH, van der Werf JH, Park EW, Oh SJ, Gibson JP, Thompson JM. 2010. Genetic polymorphisms of the bovine fatty acid binding protein 4 gene are significantly associated with marbling and carcass weight in Hanwoo (Korean Cattle). Animal Genetics 41:442-444.
- Marrube G, Rozen F, Pinto GB, Pacienza N, Melo JE, Huguet MJ, Canet Z, Zandomeni R, Miquel MC. 2004. New polymorphism of FASN gene in chicken. Journal of Applied Genetics 45:453-455.
- Matsuhashi T, Maruyama S, Uemoto Y, Kobayashi N, Mannen H, Abe T, Sakaguchi S, Kobayashi E. 2010. Effects of FASN, SCD, SREBP1 and GH gene polymorphisms on fatty acid composition and carcass traits in Japanese Black cattle. Journal of Animal Science 89:12-22.
- Nestel P, Clifton P, Noakes M. 1994. Effects of increasing dietary palmitoleic acid compared with palmitic and oleic acids on plasma lipids of hypercholesterolemic men. Journal of Lipid Research 35:656-662.
- Ohsaki H, Tanaka A, Hoashi S, Sasazaki S, Oyama K, Taniguchi M, Mukai F, Mannen H. 2009. Effect of SCD and SREBP genotypes on fatty acid composition in adipose tissue of Japanese Black cattle herds. Animal Science Journal 80:225-232. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2009.00638.x
- Roy R, Zaragoza P, Gautier M, Eggen A, Rodellar C. 2005. Radiation hybrid and genetic linkage mapping of two genes related to fat metabolism in cattle: fatty acid synthase (FASN) and glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase mitochondrial (GPAM). Animal Biotechnology 16:1-9. https://doi.org/10.1081/ABIO-200044295
- Taniguchi M, Utsugi T, Oyama K, Mannen H, Kobayashi M, Tanabe Y, Ogino A, Tsuji S. 2004. Genotype of stearoyl-coA desaturase is associated with fatty acid composition in Japanese Black cattle. Mammalian Genome 15:142-148. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00335-003-2286-8
- Uemoto Y, Abe, Tameoka N, Hasebe H, Inoue K, Nakajima H, Shoji N, Kobayashi M, Kobayashi E. 2010. Whole-genome association study for fatty acid composition of oleic acid in Japanese Black cattle. Animal Genetics 42:141-148.
- Woolett LA, Spady DK, Dietchy JM. 1992. Saturated and unsaturated fatty acid independently regulate low density lipoprotein receptor activity and production rate. Journal of Lipid Research 33:77-88.
- Zhang S, Knight TJ, Reecy JM, Beitz DC. 2008. DNA polymorphisms in bovine fatty acid synthase are associated with beef fatty acid composition. Animal Genetics 39:62-70. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2007.01681.x
- Association and Expression Analyses of the Duck FMO3 Gene in Relation to Fatty Acid Composition vol.16, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2017.486.493