- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Development and effect of elementary school upper-grade safety health education program
초등학교 고학년 안전보건교육 프로그램 개발과 효과검증
- Jung, Hyun-Min (Department of Education, Graduate School, Chosun University) ;
- Lee, Hyo-Cheol (Department of Emergency Medical Service, Honam University)
- Received : 2013.10.31
- Accepted : 2013.12.17
- Published : 2013.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to develop a safety health education program for the upper graders of elementary school children and to evaluate the program. Methods: The study was designed for learner centered safety education and heath education based on a theory of lifelong education. After a model development of the program was set up, five major units were selected after five stages of program planning, design, acting, evaluation and feedback: school safety, traffic safety, home safety, life safety, and first-aid. Twenty things were selected as what to teach, and a lesson plan of 12 sessions was mapped out by arranging what to teach. The subjects in this study were 114 elementary school students who were in five different sixth-grade classes. Each class received education for five days, in four sessions each, according to the program. Results: The learners showed improvement in safety consciousness, safety knowledge, self-efficacy and safety behavior after they received education according to the safety health education program, and they expressed a lot of satisfaction with the program. Conclusion: It is important to develop the lifelong education for safety health education for the elementary school children.
Safety and health;Safety consciousness;Self-efficacy;Lifelong education
Supported by : 조선대학교
- Statistics Korea. Annual Report on the Cause of Death Statistics. Death rates for children safety accident. Available at: http://www.index.go.kr/egams/stts/jsp/pot al/stts/PO_STTS_IdxMain.jsp?idx_cd=2711, 2013.
- Statistics Korea. Death rates for the 10 leading causes of death by age. Available at: http://www.index.go.kr/egams/stts/ jsp/potal/stts/PO_STTS_IdxMain.jsp?idx_ cd= 1012, 2013.
- National Emergency Management Agency. The child safety education program development research report. Available at: http://www.nema.go.kr/nema_cms_iba/sho w_nema/board/board9s/view.jsp?cNo= 201216&c_relation=45&check_the_code= 7&check_the_num=140&check_up_num=165 &pageNo=1, 2008.
- Kwon SS. Development and effect evaluation of Safety education program for Higher grade Students of elementary school. Korean J Society of School Health 2005; 18(2):45-61.
- Kim YH, Kim JS, Kang IS. A study of accident- prevention education, accidents and school facilities for safety perceived by elementary schoolers. Korean J Child Health Nurs 2002;8(2):183-194.
- Kim HG. Effect of a parent education program on mothers' knowledge, attitude, and practice to home safety. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University 2006, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim YA. Development of a group counseling program to cultivate sexual perception of elementary school students in higher grade. Unpublished master's thesis, Korean National University of Education 2010, Chung-buk, Korea.
- An HS. The requirements analysis of health education in the primary school. Unpublished master's thesis, Korean National University of Education 2010, Chung-buk, Korea.
- Weiler, RM. The role of school health instruction in preventing injury: making it work. 1st ed. United States: Virginia. 1993. 1-7.
- Ministry of Education and Science Technology, Notice No. 2008-148 Elementary & Middle school curriculum. Available at: http://www.gwanbo.korea.go.kr, 2008.
- Kim YS. The educational effect of first aid in some elementary students. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University 2011, Seoul, Korea.
- Park JH, Jung SY. Safety education guidelines. Seoul: Education Publishers, 1971. 1-169.
- Nancy B, Susan KG. The practice of nursing research conduct. critique. & utilization. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders. 2001. 1-840.
- American Heart Association. 2010 AHA Guidelines for CPR and ECC. American Heart Association, 2010.
- Korea first AID & CPR Association. Available at: http://www.sicpr.org/sub.php?sub=1& pg=5, 2013.
- Citizens Coalition for safety. Available at: http://www.safelife.or.kr. 2013.
- Yoon KS. A study on children consciousness traffic order in elementary school, Unpublished master's thesis, Soon Chun Hyang University 1995, Chung-nam, Korea.
- Sim ES. Safety-awareness, safety-practice and accident occurrence among elementary students. J Korea Community Health Nursing Academic Society 2004;18(2):258-75.
- Kim HO, Lee MS. A study on the development of the measuring scale of safety consciousness. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2002; 19(1):87-107.
- Bandura A. Social foundation of thoughts and action: A social cognitive theory. 1st ed. Englewood Cliffs. NJ: Prentice-Hall. 1986. 523-82.
- Park JM. The effectiveness of competency and retention in cardiopulmonary resuscitation through self-directed learning. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyungpook National University 2006, Daegu, Korea.
- Keller JM. The systematic process of motivational design. Performance & Instruction Journal. 1987;26(9):1-8.
- Jung HS. Effects of self-directedness, task value, and learning on learner satisfaction and achivement. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University 2005, Seoul, Korea.
- The national institute of the Korean language. Available at: http://www.korean. go.kr/09_new/index.jsp. 2013.
- Lim H. The effects of school safety education program on the safety behavior among elementary school student in Korea. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonbuk National University 2003, Chonju, Korea.
- Kim JH. The continuing education program gaebalron. 1st ed. Seoul: The Science of education, 2001. 539-50.
- Boone EJ. Developing programs in adult education. 1st ed. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hill, 1985.
- Kim TH. A study on contents analysis of safety education elementary school. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University 2000, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim SJ. Developement and evaluation of a safety education program for injury prevention in elementary school students. J Korean Acad Child Health Nurs 2010; 16(1):20-9. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2010.16.1.20
- Lee JN, Jung MA, Park JW. Effects of school safety behavior among elementary school students. J Korean Acad Child Health Nurs 2006;12(4):506-13.
- Effect of first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation education on self-efficacy and social contribution of disadvantaged youth vol.18, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2014.18.3.037