- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The relationship between the stress in college life, vulnerability to depression, and smartphone overuse among undergraduate students majoring in public health
보건계열 학부생의 대학생활 스트레스, 우울 취약성 및 스마트폰 과다사용의 관련성
- Kwon, Hay-Ran (Department of Emergency Medical Technology, Gwangju Health University) ;
- Park, Si-Eun (Department of Health Science, Graduate School, Chosun University) ;
- Park, Dae-Sung (Department of Emergency Medical Technology, Gwangju Health University)
- Received : 2013.09.16
- Accepted : 2013.12.17
- Published : 2013.12.31
purpose: This study aims to understand the relationship between stress in college life, vulnerability to depression, and smartphone overuse among undergraduate students majoring in public health. Methods: The subjects of the study were 320 students who were selected through convenience sampling from the department of emergency medical technology, physical therapy, and public health and administration attending G University in Gwangju. The study was carried out from October 22 to 26, 2012. For final analysis, 266 copies were used. Statistical analysis was done using SPSS WIN 12.0. Results: Excessive use of smartphones had a negative effect on stress in college life and vulnerability to depression. The stress of college life had an effect on students' sense of value, their friends of the same sex, and job. Depressive vulnerability had an effect on a students' dependency. Conclusion: For the prevention of smartphone overuse, programs to prevent college life stress and vulnerability to depression should be developed. Counselling programs for the groups should be made available to the students.
Depression;Life stress;Smartphone overuse
Supported by : 광주보건대학교
- http://www.labortoday.co.kr/news/view. asp?arId=101631&isView=l&mId1=07&pNo=1
- http://www2.korea.kr/newsWeb/pages/ brief/partNews2/view.do?call_from=extlink& call_from=extlink&dataId=155731773
- http://www2.enewstoday.co.kr/sub_read. html?uid=250405§ion=sc5
- http://www.edaily.co.kr/news/NewsRead. edy?SCD=JG21&newsid=02273046599531216 &DCD=A00702&OutLnkChk=Y
- Shaffer HJ. On the nature and meaning of addiction. National Forum 1999;79(4):10-14
- http://news.newsway.kr/view.php?tp=1& ud=2013020714350476768&md=20130207143 531_AN
- http://news.donga.com/3/all/20100210/ 26091640/1?utm_source=feedburner& utm_medium=feed&utm_campai gn= Feed%3A+ donga+%28donga%29
- Jeon M. Effects of communication apprehension and depressive vulnerability on college students' smart-phone overuse. Unpublished master's thesis, Jeon-ju University 2012, Jeon-ju, Korea.
- Park DS. Relation between motivations of using smartphone and its overuse in health college students. J Korea Acad-Ind cooper Soc 2013;14(5):2281-92.
- Chon KK, Kim KK. A control theory approach= development of the life stress scale for college students. Korean J Clin psychol 1991;10(1):137-158.
- Kang SH. A study on the factors influencing the suicide ideation of university students- moderating effects of social support and mediating effects of depression. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Cheongju University 2012, Cheongju, Korea.
- Blatt J, Dafflitti J, Quinlan DM. Depressive experience questionaire. New Haven: Yale University press, 1976.
- Cho, JY. A study about two dimension of depression. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University 1996, Seoul, Korea.
- Park KS, Cho SH. Separation-individuation and interpersonal relationship in adolescent's self-critical and dependent depre ssion. The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling 2009;17(1):78-93.
- Han JL, Hur GH. Construction and validation of mobile phone addiction scale. Korean J Journal & Commun Stud 2004; 48(6):138-65.
- Sin OM. The relationships between smartphone usage motivation and utilization degree and smartphone overuse. Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University 2011, Seoul, Korea.
- Park YM. A study on adults' smart phone addiction and mental health. Unpublished master's thesis, Sangji University 2011, Wonju, Korea.
- Park JS, Kang MH. Relationship among the overuse of cellular phones, attachment in middle schoolers. J psychother 2007;7(1): 1-15.
- Yu MO. A study on high school students' cellular phone addiction, mental health and impulsiveness. Unpublished master's thesis, Kangwon University 2009, chuncheon, Korea.
- Park WK. The mobile phone addiction among Korean college students. Korean journal of journalism & communication studies 2003;47(2):205-27.
- http://www.naeil.com/news/Local_View News_n.asp?bulyooid=2&nnum=698374
- Park DS. Effects of life stress and depression of health college students on their suicidal ideation: control effects of social support. J Korea Acad-Ind cooper Soc 2013;14(2):728-736.
- Seo MS. A study on psychological and social factors affecting suicide ideation among youths. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungnam University 2005, Masan, Korea.
- Zuroff DC, Igreja I, Mongrain M. Dysfunctional attitudes, dependency, and selfcriticism as predictors of depressive mood states: A 12-month longitudinal study. Cognit Ther Res 1990;14(3):315-26. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01183999
- Park BH. Separation-individuation level and characteristics of object-relations in self-critical depression and dependent depression. Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University 2000, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim HJ, Han JC. The effects of depressive vulnerability and self-consciousness on interpersonal relationship in undergraduates. 2004;16(2):277-94.
- Yune HS, Oh KJ. Comparison of autonomous- depressives and sociotropic-depressives interpersonal-representation and interpersonal problems of depressives. Korean J Clin psycho 2004;23(3):577-94.