- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The effect of SIM-PBL eduction on critical thinking disposition and self-efficacy in paramedic students
문제기반학습 연계 시뮬레이션(SIM-PBL) 교육이 응급구조과 학생들의 비판적 사고경향과 자기효능감에 미치는 영향
- Cho, Hye-Young (Department of Emergency Medical Service, Daewon University College)
- 조혜영 (대원대학교 응급구조과)
- Received : 2013.10.23
- Accepted : 2013.12.17
- Published : 2013.12.31
Purpose: This study was conducted to evaluate the effects of the simulation education integrated with problem based learning on critical thinking disposition and self-efficacy on paramedic students. Methods: The study subjects were 48 students. Pre and post design with nonequivalent control group was assigned. The experimental group received the one week education for 4 weeks(4 sessions in total) with 90 minutes for each session. The control group received a regular skill training curriculum. Results: The experimental group showed significantly higher improvement of self-efficacy and critical thinking disposition preference compared with the control group. Conclusion: These findings indicate that simulation education with scenario was effective in improving the critical thinking disposition and self-efficacy in paramedic students.
Critical thinking disposition;Paramedics;Problem-based learning;Students;Self efficacy
- Elliott M, Liu Y. The nine rights of medication administration: an overview. Br J Nurs 2010;19(5):300-5. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2010.19.5.47064
- Lee MJ. The effectiveness of the simulation integrated with problem based learning on nursing students' clinical competency, selfefficacy and problem solving process. Unpublished master's thesis, Inha University 2013, Incheon, Korea.
- Jung DW. Critical thinking disposition to academic year. Research Institute Nursing Science of Ewha Womens University 2011; 23(1):13-20.
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behaviral change. Pshchol Rev 1977;84(2):191-215. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- Park HS, Bae YJ, Jung SY. A study on self-esteem, self-efficacy, coping methods, and the academic and job-seeking stress of nursing students. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2002;11(4): 621-31.
- Kim KH, Kim KD. The relationship between critical thinking disposition and self-efficacy of college nursing students. J korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2007;13(2):229-36.
- Baek MR. Implementation effects of emergency trauma patient simulation. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2011;15(2):43-54.
- Tiwari A, Lai P, So M, Yuen K. A comparison of the effects of problem-based learning and lecturing on the development of students’ critical thinking. Med Educ 2006; 40(6):547-54. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2929.2006.02481.x
- Thomas RE. Problem-based learning: measurable outcomes. Med Educ 1997;31(5): 320-29. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2923.1997.00671.x
- Yang BS. A study on the adaption process of nursing students to problem based learning. Jorunal of korean Academy of Nursing 2006;36:25-36. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.1.25
- Park JH. How do we teach logical and critical thinking? Philosophy and Reality 2002: 54:212-22.
- Liaw SY, Chen FG, Klainin P, Brammer J, O’Brien A, Samarasekera DD. Developing clinical competency in crisis event management: an integrated simulation problem- based learning activity. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 2010;15(3):403-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10459-009-9208-9
- Park SH. The effects of program for the improvement of college students critical thinking ability. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung womens University 1999, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim AY, Cha JE. Self-efficacy and measurement. industrial and oranizational psychology. The winter symposium a collection of learned papers 1996;51-64.
- Abdo A, Ravert P. Student satisfaction with simulation experience. Clinical Simulation in Nursing Education 2006;2:13-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2009.05.009
- Lapkin S, Fernandez R, Levett-Jones T, Bellchambers H. The effectiveness of using human patient simulation manikins in the teaching of clinical reasoning skills to undergraduate nursing students: a systematic review. JBI Library of Systematic Reviews 2010;8(16):661-94.
- Campbell SH, Delay K. Simulation sc. Senarios for nurse educators. New York; Spring publishing company, 2009.
- Ravert P. Patient simulator sessions and critical thinking. J Nurs Educ 2008;47(12): 557-62. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20081201-06
- Koh GC, Khoo HE, Wong ML, Koh D. The effects of problem-based learning during medical school on physician competence: a systematic review. CMAJ 2008;178(1):34–41. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.070565
- Yuan H, Williams BA, Fan L. A systematic review of selected evidence on developing nursing students' critical thinking through problem-based learning. Nurs Educ Today 2008;28(6):657-663. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2007.12.006
- Walton HJ, Matthews MB. Essentials of problem-based learning. Med Educ 1989; 23(6):542-58. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2923.1989.tb01581.x
- Blum CA, Borglund S, Parcells D. High-fidelity nursing simulation: impact on student self-confidence and clinical competence. Int J Nursing Educ Scholarsh 2010; 7;Article 18. Available at: http://www. bepress.com/ijnes/vol7/iss1/art18.
- Ko KJ. A Study on critical thinking disposition and clinical competency of nursing students. Unpublished master's thesis, Kwandong University 2003, Kangneung, Korea.
- Feingold CE, Calaluce M, Kallen MA. Computerized patient model and simulated clinical experience: evaluation with baccalaureate nursing students. J Nurs Educ 2004;43(4):156-63.
- Lee JH, Kim SS, Yeo KS, Cho SJ, Kim HL. Experiences among undergraduate nursing students on high-fidelity simulation education: A focus group study. The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education 2009;15(2):183-93. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.183
- Baxter P, Norman G. Self-assessment or self deception? A lack of association between nursing students’ self-assessment and performance. J Adv Nurs 2011;67(11): 2406-13. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05658.x
- Suliman WA, Halabi J. Critical thinking self-esteem, and state anxiety of nursing students. Nurs Educ Today 2007;27(2): 162-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2006.04.008
- Development and Application of Integrated-Simulation Practice Program using Standardized Patients : Caring for Alcoholism with Diabetes Mellitus in the Community vol.17, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.662
- Effect of Simulation-based Core Skill Program (SCSP) on clinical knowledge, problem solving process and self-esteem in Health-related department students vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.10.6126