- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A study on correlation between empowering leadership, growth needs and turnover intentions in 119 emergency medical technicians
구급대원의 임파워링 리더십과 성장욕구 및 이직의도와의 상관관계에 관한 연구
- Yang, Hyun-Mo (Nami 119 center, Cheongju Western Fire station) ;
- Jeon, Hyuk-Jin (Department of Emergency Medicine, Konkuk University, Chung-ju Hospital) ;
- Gang, Bo-Ra (Department of Emergency Medicine, Ajou University)
- Received : 2013.06.24
- Accepted : 2013.12.17
- Published : 2013.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to investigate how empowering leadership effects on growth needs and turnover intentions to emergency medical technicians. Methods: The study was based on seventy six paramedics and seventy EMTs-basic who were working at the fire stations. A survey questionnaire was used to prove connection between empowering leadership, growth needs, and turnover intentions. Results: There was a positive correlation between empowering leadership and growth needs, and negative correlation between empowering leadership and turnover intentions. There was a positive correlation between emergency medical technicians growth needs and turnover intentions. Conclusion: This analysis is empirically applied to study the empowering leadership focused on the empowerment act of leader to a leading role to empowerment in fire service organization.
Empowering leadership;Growth needs;Turnover intentions
- National Emergency Management Agency. 2013 Fire Administration Data and Statistics. Available at: http://www.nema.go. kr/nema_cms_iba/show_nema/board/ board9s/view.jsp?cNo=202850&c_relation= 39&check_the_code=5&check_the_num= 142&check_up_num=165&pageNo=1, 2013.
- Druskat V, Wheeler J. Managing from the boundary: The effective leadership of selfmanaging work teams. Acad Manag J 2003; 46:435-459. https://doi.org/10.2307/30040637
- Liden RC, Arad SA. Power perspective of empowerment and work groups: implication for human resources management reserch. Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management 1996;14:205-51.
- Ahearne M, Mathieu J, Rapp A. To empower or not to empower your sales force An empirical examination of the influence of leadership empowerment behavior on customer satisfaction and performance. Journal of Applied Psychology 2005;90(5):945-55. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.90.5.945
- Srivastava A, Bartol KM, Locke EA. Empowering leadership in management teams: Effects on knowledge sharing, efficacy, and performance. Acad Manag J 2006;49(6): 1239-51. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2006.23478718
- Zhang X, Bartol KM. Linking empowering leadership and employee creativity: The influence of psychological empowerment, intrinsic motivation, and creative process engagement. Acad Manag J 2010;53(1): 107-28. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2010.48037118
- Josh A Arnold, Sharon Arad, Jonathan A Rhoades, Fritz Drasgow. The Empowering Leadership questionnaire: the construction and validation of a new scale for measuring leader behaviors. J Organ Behav 2000; 21(3):249-69. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(200005)21:3<249::AID-JOB10>3.0.CO;2-#
- Kim YS. The effect of empowering leadership on job attitude and job stress. Unpublished master's thesis, Sungkyunkwan University 2010, Seoul, Korea.
- Hackman JR, Oldham GR. Work redesign and motivation. Professional Psychology 1980;11(3):445-55. https://doi.org/10.1037/0735-7028.11.3.445
- Cook JD, Hepworth SJ, Wall TD, Warr PB. The experience of work: A compendium and review of 249 measures and their use. New York Academic Press 1981.
- Bae ES, Ryu JS, Park HG. A study on the factors about job satisfaction and social workers turnover-focused on the differences between using facility and living facility. Korean academy of social welfare 2013;65(1):59-81. https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2013.65.1.003
- Alderfer Clayton P. An empirical test of a new theory of human needs. Organizational Behaviour and Human Performance 1969;4(2):142-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(69)90004-X
- Han SI. The relationship between the empowerment and the job satisfaction of 119 emergency medical technician. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2010;14(1):47-63.
- Sunday F, Kristen W, Kim H, Ann L, Michin H. Intention to leave a job: The role of individual factors, job tension and supervisory support. Administration in Social Work 2010;34(4):313-28. https://doi.org/10.1080/03643107.2010.500948