- Volume 12 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effectiveness on Public Advertisement Interaction of Advertiser Awareness, Advertisement Appeal and Customer Involvement and Need for Cognition
공익광고 효과에 미치는 상호작용 영향:광고주 인지도, 광고 소구 및 수용자 관여도와 인지욕구 중심으로
- Park, Junyoung ;
- Kang, Dongwoo ;
- Kang, Hyunjin ;
- Kwon, Hyeyon ;
- Kim, Joontae ;
- Park, Byungho ;
- Jo, Hyeon
- Received : 2013.10.27
- Accepted : 2013.12.23
- Published : 2013.12.31
This research investigates the interaction effects of factors, namely, advertiser awareness, advertisement appeal, and customer involvement and need for cognition, selected from the parties involved in public service advertisement. Manipulating the participant's involvement, attitude toward the advertisement and the advertiser and intention to donate according to 2 (awareness) X 2 (cognitive/affective appeal) factors were surveyed. In result, participants with high involvement were relatively less affected by advertiser awareness. Also, high need for cognition indicated less effect of advertiser awareness on intention to donate. Moreover, when cognitive appeal is used, advertiser awareness affected less on consumers' attitude toward the advertisement and the advertiser and intention to donate. Further issues on changing customers' attitudes and behaviors are discussed.
Public Advertisement;Advertiser;Customer Involvement;Need for Cognition
- 권중록, "공익광고에 나타난 문화적 가치와 표현기법에 관한 연구", 광고연구, 제56권 (2002), pp.127-159.
- 권중록, "공익광고캠페인 주제와 수용자 비용 및 유익성과의 관계-인구통계학 변수 중심으로", 언론과학연구, 제5권, 제1호, pp.5-42.
- 김광수, "광고에서의 프레이밍 효과 : 예상 이론을 중심으로", 광고학연구, 제9권, 제4호 (1998), pp.193-212.
- 김광수, "광고 효과 이론에 관한 통합적 틀. 커뮤니케이션 이론", 커뮤니케이션 이론, 제1권, 제1호(2005), pp.263-295.
- 김성훈, 양병화, "공익광고에서의 주제별 메시지 권고성의 효과 연구", 동서언론제, 제6권(2002), pp.441-463.
- 남인용, "광고주 유형, 메시지 유형, 자기 검색도, 관여도가 공익광고의 효과에 미치는 영향", 한국광고홍보학회 추계학술대회, 단일호(2001), pp.1-22.
- 성영신, 이영철, "인지욕구와 메시지 주장의 유형에 따른 공익광고의 효과", 광고연구, 제1권, 제6호(1992), pp.55-79.
- 심선영, "SNS 구매후기는 누구의 마음을 움직이는가? 소셜 네트워크 서비스를 활용한 마케팅 전략 연구", 한국IT서비스학회지, 제11권, 제3호(2012), pp.103-127. https://doi.org/10.9716/KITS.2012.11.3.103
- 이홍주, "온라인 키워드 광고 시장에서 광고 단가에 영향을 미치는 요인 분석", 한국IT서비스학회지, 제11권, 제3호(2012), pp.257- 267. https://doi.org/10.9716/KITS.2012.11.3.257
- Andreasen, A. R., "Presidential address:A social marketing research agenda for consumer behavior researchers", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.20(1993), pp.1-5. https://doi.org/10.1086/209330
- Batra, R. and D. M. Stayman, "The role of mood in advertising effectiveness", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.17, No.2(1990), pp.203-214. https://doi.org/10.1086/208550
- Block, L. G. and P. A. Keller, "When to accentuate the negative:The effects of perceived efficacy and message framing on intentions to perform a health-related behavior", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.32, No.2(1995), pp.192-203. https://doi.org/10.2307/3152047
- Cacioppo, J. T., R. E. Petty, and C. F. Kao, "The efficient assessment of need for cognition", Journal of personality assessment, Vol.48, No.3(1984), pp.306-307. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4803_13
- Cacioppo, J. T., R. E. Petty, and K. J. Morris, "Effects of need for cognition on message evaluation, recall and persuasion", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.45, No.4(1983), pp.805-818. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.525
- Chebat, J. C., F. Limoges, and C. GTlinas- Chebat, "Limits of the effects of Advertisement Framing:The Moderating Effects of Prior Knowledge and Involvement", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.25, No.1 (1998). pp.324-333.
- Cohen, A. R., E. Stotland, and D. M. Wolfe, "An experimental investigation of need for cognition", The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, Vol.51, No.2(1955), pp. 291-294. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0042761
- Cutler, B. D. and R. G. Javalgi, "Analysis of print ad features:Services versus products", Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.33, No.2(1993), pp.62-69.
- Flora, J. A. and E. W. Maibach, "Cognitive responses to AIDS information", Communication Research, Vol.17, No.6(1990), pp.759-774. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365029001700603
- Goldberg, M. E. and J. Hartwick, "The effects of advertiser reputation and extremity of advertising claim on advertising effectiveness", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.17, No.2(1990), pp.172-179. https://doi.org/10.1086/208547
- Golden, L. L. and K. A. Johnson, "The impact of sensory preference and thinking versus feeling appeals on advertising effectiveness", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.10, No.1(1983), pp.203-208.
- Harkness, A. R., K. G. DeBono, and E. Borgida, "Personal involvement and strategies for making contingency judgments : A stake in the dating game makes a difference", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.49, No.1(1985), pp.22-32. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206
- Holbrook, M. B., "Beyond attitude structur e : toward the informational determinants of attitude", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.15, No.4(1978), pp.545-556. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150624
- Lafferty, B. A. and R. E. Goldsmith, "Corporate credibility's role in consumers' attitudes and purchase intentions when a high versus a low credibility endorser is used in the Ad", Journal of Business Research, Vol.44, No.2(1999), pp.109-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(98)00002-2
- Levin, I. P., J. D. Jasper, and G. J. Gaeth, "Measuring the effects of framing country- of-origin information : A process tracing approach", Advances in consumer research, Vol.23(1996), pp.385-389.
- Liu, S. S. and P. A. Stout, "Effects of message modality and appeal on advertising acceptance", Psychology and Marketing, Vol. 4, No.3(1987), pp.167-187. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.4220040303
- Lynn, J. R., "Perception of Public Service Advertising:Source, message and Receiver Effects", Journalism Quarterly, Vol.50, No.4 (1973), pp.673-679. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769907305000407
- Lynn, J. R., "Effects of Persuasive Appeals in Public Service Advertising", Journalism Quarterly, Vol.51, No.4(1974), pp.622-630. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769907405100406
- Maheswaran, D. and J. Meyers-Levy, "The influence of message framing and issue involvement", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.27, No.3(1990), pp.361-367. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172593
- McGuire, W. J., "The nature of attitudes and attitude change", The handbook of social psychology, No.3(1969), pp.136-314.
- Pallak, S. R., E. Murroni, and J. Koch, "Communicator attractiveness and expertise, emotional versus rational appeals, and persuasion: A heuristic versus systematic processing interpretation", Social Cognition, Vol.2, No.2(1983), pp.122-141. https://doi.org/10.1521/soco.19220.127.116.11
- Perdue, B. C. and J. O. Summers, "Checking the success of manipulations in marketing experiments", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.23, No.4(1986), pp.317-326. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151807
- Petty, R. E. and J. T. Cacioppo, "Forewarning, cognitive responding, and resistance to persuasion", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.35, No.9(1977), pp. 645-655. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1685
- Petty, R. E. and J. T. Cacioppo, "Issue involvement as a moderator of the effects on attitude of advertising content and context", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.8, No.1(1981), pp.20-24.
- Petty, R. E. and J. T. Cacioppo, "The elaboration likelihood model of persuasion", Advances in experimental social psychology, Vol.19, No.1(1986), pp.123-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2601(08)60214-2
- Petty, R. E., J. T. Cacioppo, and M. Heesacker, "Effects of rhetorical questions on persuasion:A cognitive response analysis", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.40, No.3(1981), pp.432-440. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1242
- Petty, R. E., J. T. Cacioppo, and D. Schumann, "Central and peripheral routes to advertising effectiveness:The moderating role of involvement", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.10, No.2(1983), pp.135-146. https://doi.org/10.1086/208954
- Schmeling, D. G. and C. E. Wotring, "Making anti-drug-abuse advertising work", Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.20, No.3(1980), pp.33-37.
- Sherif, C. W., M. Kelly, H. L. Rodgers Jr, G. Sarup, and B. I. Tittler, "Personal involvement, social judgment, and action", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.27, No.3(1973), pp.311-328. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0034948
- Shimp, T. A., "Attitude toward the ad as a mediator of consumer brand choice", Journal of Advertising, Vol.10, No.2(1981), pp.9-48. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1981.10672756
- Snyder, M., "Self-monitoring of expressive behavior", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.30, No.4(1974), pp.526-537. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0037039
- Sorrentino, R. M., D. R. Bobocel, M. Z. Gitta, J. M. Olson, and E. C. Hewitt, "Uncertainty orientation and persuasion:Individual differences in the effects of personal relevance on social judgments", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.55, No.3(1988), pp.357-371. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1997
- Stafford, M. R. and E. Day, "Retail services advertising:the effects of appeal, medium, and service", Journal of Advertising, Vol. 24, No.1(1995), pp.57-71. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1995.10673468
- Zielske, H. A., "Does day-after recall penalize 'feeling' ads?", Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.22, No.1(1982), pp.19-22.
- 박장원, 박현순, "기부 관여도, 메시지 소구방식, 자아효능감의 기부 의사 제고 효과에 관한 연구", 홍보학 연구, 제11권, 제1호(2007), pp.107-140.
- 조현, "SNS에 대한 인지요인이 구전효과에 미치는 영향", 한국IT서비스학회지, 제11권, 제3호(2012), pp.227-240. https://doi.org/10.9716/KITS.2012.11.3.227
- Braun, K. A., G. Gacth, and I. P. Levin, "Framing effects with differential impact:The role of attribute salience", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.24(1997), pp.405- 411.
- Choi, Y. and E. Thorson, "Memory for factual, emotional, and balanced ads under two instructional sets", proceedings of American Academy of Advertising, (1983), pp.160-164.
- Levin, I. P. and G. J. Gaeth, "How consumers are affected by the framing of attribute information before and after consuming the product", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.15, No.3(1988), pp.374-378. https://doi.org/10.1086/209174
- Lynn, J. R., "How Source Affects Response to Public Service Advertising", Journalism Quarterly, Vol.55, No.4(1978), pp.716-720. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769907805500409
- Petty, R. E., J. T. Cacioppo, and R. Goldman, "Personal involvement as a determinant of argument-based persuasion", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.41, No.5(1981), 847-855. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.527
- Sherif, M. and C. Hovland, "Social Judgment: Assimilation and Contrast Effects in Communication and Attitude Change" New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 1961.