- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The estimation of river discharge by using the mean velocity equation in a unsteady condition
평균유속공식을 이용한 부정류 하천유량 산정
- Choo, Tai Ho (Dept. of Environmental and civil Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Chae, Soo Kwon (Dept. of Environmental Health and Safety, Eulji University) ;
- Yoon, Hyeon Cheol (Dept. of Environmental and civil Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Yun, Gwan Seon (Dept. of Environmental and civil Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2013.10.28
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
As the average indicator for amount of water flowing in any cross section of a river, the mean discharge has been reported to be a very important factor for examining water circle constructions in a river basin, the design and construction of a hydraulic structure, and water front area use and management. The stage-discharge curve based on discharge and stage data measured in a normal season were basically derived. Using this derivation, the necessary discharge data was obtained. The values produced in this manner corresponded to the measured data in a uniform flow state well, but showed limited accuracy in a flood season (unsteady flow). In the present paper, the mean velocity in unsteady flow conditions, which exhibited loop form properties, was estimated using the new mean velocity formula derived from Chiu's 2-D velocity. The results of RMSE and Polar graph analyses showed that the proposed equation exhibited approximately nineteen times the accuracy compared to the Manning and Chezy equations.
Manning and Chezy equations;Mean velocity equation;Rating curve;River discharge;Unsteady flow
- Chezy, A. "Developed and verified by experiments made on earthen channel", the Courpalet Canal, and on the Seine river, 1769.
- Chiu, C.-L., "Three-dimensional open channel flow", J Hydra Divi ASCE, Vol. 104, No. 8, pp. 1119-1136, 1978.
- Chiu, C.-L., "Entropy and probability concepts in Hydraulics", J Hydra Engine ASCE, Vol. 113, No. 5, pp. 583-599, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1987)113:5(583) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1987)113:5(583)
- Chiu, C.-L., "Entropy and 2-D velocity distribution in open channels", J Hydra Engine ASCE, Vol. 114, No. 10, pp. 738-756, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1988)114:7(738) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1988)114:7(738)
- Chiu, C.-L., Chen, Y.-C., "An efficient method of discharge measurement in tidal streams", J Hydro Vol. 265, pp. 212-224, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(02)00100-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(02)00100-2
- Chiu, C.-L., Tung, N. C., "Maximum and regularities in open-channel flow", J Hydra Engine ASCE, Vol. 128, No. 4, pp. 390-398, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2002)128:4(390) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2002)128:4(390)
- Choo, T. H., "Velocity measuring method using the concept of entropy (II) - focusing on maximum velocity", J Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 22, No. 4B pp. 495-515, 2002.
- Choo, T. H., Yoon, H. C., Lee, S. J., "An estimation of discharge using mean velocity derived through Chiu's velocity equation", Eavironmental Earth Science, Vol. 69, pp. 247-256, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12665-012-1952-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-012-1952-0
- Manning, R., "On the flow of water in open channels and pipes", Transactions, Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland Vol. 24, pp. 179-207, 1895.
- Xia, R., "Relation between mean and maximum velocities in a natural river." J. Hydraul. Eng., Vol. 123, No. 8, pp. 720-723, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1997)123:8(720) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1997)123:8(720)
- Song, T., "Velocity and turbumence distribution in non-uniform and unsteady open-channel flow", Ph. D. Dissertation, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne, EPFL, 1994.