- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Local Buckling Behaviors of Flat-Type Stiffeners in Stiffened Plate System
보강판시스템에 적용되는 판형보강재의 국부좌굴거동
- Kim, Kyung-Sik (Department of Civil Engineering, Cheongju University)
- 김경식 (청주대학교 토목공학과)
- Received : 2013.10.30
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
Elastic and nonlinear ultimate strength analyses were conducted to examine the effects of the stiffness and slenderness of flat-type stiffeners on ultimate in-plane strengths of a stiffened plate system. Although it is not feasible to consider local buckling in the stiffeners in elastic analysis, it was confirmed that the in-plane strengths of the stiffened plate system can be achieved by antisymmetric buckling mode when a certain level of stiffness in the stiffeners is provided. Nonlinear ultimate strength analysis, in which initial imperfection and residual stress are incorporated, showed that the ultimate strengths are sensitively affected by the mode shapes for initial imperfections. The slenderness limit for flat-type stiffeners in KHBDC (Korean Highway Bridge Design Code) was evaluated as conservative compared to the analysis results.
Flat-type stiffener;Stiffened plate;Buckling;Initial imperfection;Residual stress
Supported by : 청주대학교
- Yoo, C. H., Choi, B. H., and Ford E. M. "Stiffness requirements for longitudinally stiffened box-girder flanges," Journal of Structural Engineering, 127(6): 705-711, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:6(705) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:6(705)
- Bleich, F. Buckling strength of metal structures, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, NY. 1952.
- Timoshenko, S. P. and Gere, J. N. Theory of elastic stability, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, NY. 1961.
- Shin, D. K., Le, V. A. and Kim, K. "In-plane ultimate compressive strengths of HPS deck panel system stiffened with U-shaped ribs," Thin-Walled Structures, 63(2013): 70-81, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2012.10.001
- Kim, J. S., Lee, H. S. and Kim, K. "Ultimate strength evaluation for wide-type box girders in cable-supported bridges," 36th IABSE (International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering) Symposium, September 2013.
- Thang, D. D., Koo, M. and Jeong Y. "Stiffness requirement for flat=bar longitudinal stiffener of box-girder compression flanges," International Journal of Steel Structures, 9(2009): 115-122, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03249486
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport. Korea highway bridge design code, 2012. (in Korean).
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. LRFD Bridge design specifications, Washington, D. C. 2012.
- Federal Highway Administration Officials of Research and Development. Proposed design specifications for box girder bridges, Report No. FHWA-TS-80-205, Washington, D. C. 1980.
- Abaqus Inc., ABAQUS standard user's manual. Version 6.8.-2, 2008.
- Khedmati, M. R., Pedram, M. and Rigo, P. "The effects of geometrical imperfections on the ultimate strength of aluminium stiffened plates subjected to combined uniaxial compression and lateral pressure," Ships and Offshore Structures, 2012(8): 1-22, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17445302.2012.726761
- Fukumoto Y., Usami T. and Okamoto Y. "Ultimate compressive strength of stiffened plates," Proceedings of specialty conference on Metal Bridge, pp. 201-230, St. Louis, MO. 1974.