- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Risk Factors for Recurrent Falls Among Community-dwelling Elderly in Rural Areas
농촌지역 재가노인의 낙상 재발 위험요인 분석
- Jeon, Mi-Yang (College of Nursing, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Yang, Sun Hee (Red Cross College of Nursing, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2013.11.04
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
This study examined the factors associated with recurrent falls among the community-dwelling elderly. The participants were 329 community-dwelling elderly. The data was collected from February 5, 2010 to February 14, 2010. Over the past 1 year, 14.3% of the 329 participants fall once, and 4.0% experienced recurrent falls. There was a significant difference among the non fallers, single faller and recurrent fallers with regard to the static balance(F=5.86, p=.003), dynamic balance(F=24.32, p<.001), risk of fall(F=9.94, p<.001) and compliance of prevention behavior related to falls(F=3.09, p=.047). The analysis results for the correlation between variables showed that the number of falls had a negative effect on the knee flexors muscular strength(r=-.15, p=.008), static balance(r=-.16, p=.004) and compliance of prevention behavior related to falls(r=-.12, p=.030) and a positive affect for the dynamic balance(r=.26, p<.001), depression(r=.13, p=.019) and risk of falls(r=.30, p<.001). The variables explained 36.0% of the variants in the occurrence of recurrent falls. Therefore, an effective recurrent fall prevention program should focus on multiple risk factor intervention.
- Ministry of Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. 2008 National Elderly Survey: The living condition and welfare needs for older adults. Seoul: Author. 2009.
- Statistics Korea, Age structure of the population by gender and age. 2012, June 4. Retrieve October 14 from http://www.index.go.kr/egams/stts/jsp/potal/stts/PO_STT S_IdxMain.jsp?idx_cd=1010&bbs=INDX_001&clas_div =A
- M. Y. Jeon, 2001. Effect of the fall prevention program(FPP) on gait, balance and muscle strength in elderly women at a nursing home. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University. Seoul.
- Y. C. Cho, H. S. Yoon, Falls among community dwelling elderly people: prevalence and associated factors. Korean Journal of Rural Medicine, 29, 2, pp.223-235, 2004.
- N. G. Lim, K. B. Shim, Y. B. Kim, J. I. Park, E. Y. Kim, B. J. Na, et al., A study on the prevalence and associated factors of falls in some rural elderly. Journal of Korean Geriatrics Society, 6, 3, pp.183-196. 2002.
- R. W. Sattin, D. A. Lambert Huber, C. A. DeVito, J. G. Rodriguez, A. Ros, S. Bacchelli, J. A. Stevens, R. J. Waxweiler, The incidence of fall injury events among the elderly in a defined population. American Journal of Epidemiology, 131, 6, pp.1028-371, 990. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a115594
- H. Sjorgen, U. Bjornstig, Trauma in the elderly: the impact on the health care system, Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care, 19, 3, pp.203-207, 1991.
- M. G. Donaldson, K. M. Khan, J. C. Davis, A. E. Salter, J. Buchanan, D. McKnight, et al., Emergency department fall-related presentations do not trigger fall risk assessment: A gap in care of high-risk outpatient fallers. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 41, 3, pp.311-317, 2005 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2005.04.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2005.04.008
- Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Epidemiologic characteristics of injury inpatients in Korea: The results of(Korea hospital discharge survey) 2004-2005. 2005. Retrieved July 20. 2013. from http://www.cdc.go.kr/
- M. Y. Jeong, H. C. Jeong, M. A. Choi, A Study on the Elderly Patients Hospitalized by the Fracture from the Fall Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 31, 3, pp.443-453, 2001 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2001.31.3.443
- T. Bulat, S. C. Castle, M. Rutledge, P. Quigley, Clinical practice algorithm: Medication management to reduce fall risk in the elderly- part 2. summary algorithm. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioner, 20, 4, pp.181-190, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2008.00311.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2008.00311.x
- L. Z. Rubenstein, K. R. Josephson, Falls and their prevention in elderly people: what does the evidence show? The Medical Clinics of North America, 90, 5, pp.807-824. 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mcna.2006.05.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcna.2006.05.013
- J. H. Lee, E. M. Ahn, G. E. Kim, Y. K. Jeong, J. H. Kim, J. H. Kim, et al., The effect of falling and fear of falling on daily activity levels in the elderly residing in Korean rural community. Journal of Korean Geriatrics Society, 13, 2, pp.79-88, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4235/jkgs.2009.13.2.79 https://doi.org/10.4235/jkgs.2009.13.2.79
- Y. G. Yoo, Falls and functional levels associated with falls in older people living in the community, Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 12, 1, pp.50-60, 2010.
- P. C. Fletcher, K. Berg, D. M. Dalby, J. P. Hirdes, Risk factors for falling among community-based seniors. Journal of Patient Safety, 5, 2, pp.61-66, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/PTS.0b013e3181a551ed https://doi.org/10.1097/PTS.0b013e3181a551ed
- H. S. Park, R. Chang, K. Y. Park, Comparative study on fall related characteristics between single and recurrent falls in communitydwelling older women. Journal of Korean Academy Adult Nursing, 20, pp.905-916, 2008.
- Y. M. Jung, S. E. Lee, K. S. Chung, Prevalence and associated factors of falls according to health status in elderly living in the community, Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 26, 2, pp.291-303, 2006.
- S. Kim, W. So, Factors associated with falling in older, community-dwelling adults in Korea. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 13, 2, pp.91-100, 2011.
- D. Y. Lee, J. S. Yang, C. K. Kim, A Prediction Model for Contribution of Physical Fitness Factors Related with Fall in the Elderly Using Decision Tree Analysis. Journal of sport and leisure studies. 46, 1, pp.931-941, 2011.
- E. S. Yun, Fall Prediction Model for Community-dwelling Elders based on Gender Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 42, 6, pp.810-818, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.6.810 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.6.810
- M. O. Gu, M. Y. Jeon, Y. Eun, The development & effect of an tailored falls prevention exercise for older adults. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 36, 2, pp.341-352, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.2.341
- M. S. Kwon, Effects of a Fall Prevention Program on Physical Fitness and Psychological Functions in Community Dwelling Elders. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41(2), pp.165-174. 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.2.165 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.2.165
- E. S. Choi, K. I Lim, T. W. Jun, The study of isokinetic muscle power, flexibility, static balance and dynamic reaction time according to the frequency of fall down in elderly women. Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women, 21, 3, pp.55-64, 2007.
- I. Y. Yoo, Analysis of Multi-variate Recurrent Fall Risk Factors in Elderly People Using Residential Assessment Instrument-Home Care- Comparisons between Single and Recurrent Fallers-, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41(1), pp.119-128. 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.119 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.119
- K. H. Lee, M. O. Lee, Characteristics of Hospitalized Elders with Repeated Falls and Fractures, Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 9, 2, pp.173-183. 2007.
- P. C. Fletcher, J. P. Hirdes, Risk factors for falling among community-based seniors using home care services. Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences, 57A, M504-M510, 2002.
- M. S. Song, Construction of a functional status prediction model for the elderly. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul. 1991.
- M. O. Gu, Y. S. Kang, S. Y. Kim, E. S. Kim, E. H. Kim, H. R. Ahn, et al., Growing younger and more active. Seoul: Hyunmoon, 2001.
- J. E. Ross, C. A. Watson, T. A. GyldenVand, J. Reinboth, Potential for trauma: Fall. Redwood City, CA: Addison-Wesley. In M. Maas, K. C. Buckwalter, & M. Hardy (Eds), Nursing diagnosis and interventions for the elderly (pp. 18-31), 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mcna.2006.05.013
- Y. R. Tak, J. Y. An, Risk factors for recurrent falls among home-dewelling elderly in Korea, Journal of the Korean society of living environmental system 18, 3, 2011. pp.291-300.
- K. G. GaBbmann, R. Rupprecht, E. Freiberger, Predictors for occasional and recurrent falls in community-dwelling older people. Zeitschrift fur Gerontologie und Geriatrie, 42, 1, pp. 3-10. 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00391-008-0506-2 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00391-008-0506-2
- I. Y. Yoo, Fall and Housing Environmental Problem of the Couple and Single Elderly, Journal of the Korean society of living environmental system, 12, 3, pp.199-205, 2005.