- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between BMI, Weight Perception and Depression-like Symptoms in Korean Middle School Students
우리나라 중학생의 체질량지수 및 주관적 체형인식과 우울감 경험의 관련성
- Byeon, Haewon (Dept. of Speech Language Pathology & Audiology, Speech-Language Pathology Center, Nambu University)
- 변해원 (남부대학교 언어치료청각학과, 남부대학교 언어치료센터)
- Received : 2013.08.16
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
The aim of this study was to determine the association between the Body Mass Index (BMI), weight perception and depression-like symptoms in Korean middle school students. The data was obtained from the 2012 Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey. The subjects were 37,297 students living in the community. Adjusting for covariates (sex, school year, home economics, city-type, school record, self-reported happiness, self-reported health status, suicidal thinking, smoking, alcohol consumption), the self-reported obesity (OR=1.14, 95% CI: 1.06-1.22) and self-reported underweight (OR=1.11, 95% CI: 1.03-1.20), compared to the self-reported healthy weight, were more likely to have depression-like symptoms. On the other hand, the BMI-based weight was not associated independently with depression-like symptoms. These findings suggest that weight perception is significantly associated with depression-like symptoms.
Adolescent;Body Mass Index;Depression;Risk factor;Weight Perception
- Ogden, C. L., Carroll, M. D., Kit, B. K., Flegal, K. M., "Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999-2010", Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol. 307, No. 54, pp. 483-490, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.40 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.40
- Yach, D., Stuckler, D., Brownell, K. D., "Epidemiologic and economic consequences of the global epidemics of obesity and diabetes", Nat Med, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 62-66. 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nm0106-62 https://doi.org/10.1038/nm0106-62
- Ministry of Health and Welfare., "Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey 2012", Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2010.
- Imamura, H., Izawa, A., Kai, R., Yokoseki, O., Uchikawa, S., Yazaki, Y., et al., "Trends over the last 20 years in the clinical background of young Japanese patients with coronary artery disease", Circ J, Vol. 68, No. 3, pp. 186-191, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1253/circj.68.186 https://doi.org/10.1253/circj.68.186
- Freedman, D. S., Zuguo, M., Srinivasan, SR., Berenson, GS., Dietz, W. H., "Cardiovascular risk factors and excess adiposity among overweight children and adolescents: the Bogalusa Heart Study", Journal of Pediatrics, Vol. 150, No. 1, pp. 12-17. 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2006.08.042 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2006.08.042
- Luppino, F. S., de Wit, L. M., Bouvy, P. F., Stijnen, T., Cuijpers, P., Penninx, B. W., Zitman, F. G., "Overweight, obesity, and depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies", Arch Gen Psychiatry, Vol. 67, No. 3, pp. 220-229. 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2010.2 https://doi.org/10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2010.2
- Roberts, R. E., Deleger, S., Strawbridge, W. J., Kaplan, G. A., "Prospective association between obesity and depression: evidence from the Alameda County Study", Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 514-521. 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802204 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802204
- Ladwig, K. H., Marten-Mittag, B., Löwel, H., Doring, A., Koenig, W., "Influence of depressive mood on the association of CRP and obesity in 3205 middle aged healthy men", Brain Behav Immun, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 268-275, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0889-1591(03)00056-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-1591(03)00056-4
- Pi-Sunyer, X., "The medical risks of obesity", Postgrad Med, Vol. 121, No. 6, pp. 21-33, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3810/pgm.2009.11.2074 https://doi.org/10.3810/pgm.2009.11.2074
- Smolak, L., "Body image in children and adolescents: where do we go from here?", Body Image, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 15-28, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1740-1445(03)00008-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1740-1445(03)00008-1
- Al Mamun, A., Cramb, S., McDermott, B. M., O'Callaghan, M., Najman, J. M., Williams, G. M., "Adolescents' perceived weight associated with depression in young adulthood: a longitudinal study", Obesity. Vol. 15, No. 12, 3097-3105, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/oby.2007.369 https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2007.369
- Atlantis, E., Ball, K.. "Association between weight perception and psychological distress", Int J Obes, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 715-21, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803762 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803762
- Perrin, E. M., Boone-Heinonen, J., Field, A. E., Coyne-Beasley, T., Gordon-Larsen, P., "Perception of overweight and self-esteem during adolescence", Int J Eat Disord, Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 447-454. 2010.
- Onyike, C. U., Crum, R. M., Lee, H. B., Lyketsos, C. G., Eaton, W. W.m "Is obesity associated with major depression? Results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey", Am J Epidemiol. Vol. 158, No. 12, pp. 1139-1147, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwg275 https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwg275
- Hayes, D., Ross, C. E., "Body and mind: the effect of exercise, overweight, and physical health on psychological well-being", J Health Soc Behav, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 387-400. 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2136952 https://doi.org/10.2307/2136952
- Friedman, M. A., Brownell, K. D., "Psychological correlates of obesity: moving to the next research generation", Psychol Bull, Vol. 117, pp. 3-20. 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.117.1.3 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.117.1.3
- Xie, B., Chou, C. P., Spruijt-Metz, D., Reynolds, K., Clark, F., Palmer, P. H. et al., "Weight perception, academic performance, and psychological factors in Chinese adolescents", Am J Health Behav, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 115-124. 2006 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.30.2.1 https://doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.30.2.1
- Xie, B., Liu, C., Chou, C. P., Xia, J., Spruijt-Metz, D., Gong, J., et al., "Weight perception and psychological factors in Chinese adolescents", J Adolesc Health. Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 202-210, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(03)00099-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(03)00099-5
- Lee, S. H., Kim, J. I., Kim, K. S., Ryu, S. Y., Park, M. J., Lee, E. A., "The association between the Depression and the Perception of Obesity by Adolescent Girls", Endocrinology and metabolism, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 295-307, 1997.
- Hyun, M. H., You, J. M., Lee, S. H., "The effects of obesity, body image dissatisfaction, and binge eating on depression in middle school girls", The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 21, No. 3, 565-580, 2002.
- Nam, S. J., Park, J. H., "Depression and stress related to obesity among normal, obese, and severe obese groups", Korean Journal of Human Ecology, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 1199-1210, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2012.21.6.1199 https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2012.21.6.1199
- Park, E., "Overestimation and underestimation: adolescents' weight perception in comparison to BMI-based weight status and how it varies across socio-demographic factors", J Sch Health, Vol. 81, No. 2, pp. 57-64, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2010.00561.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2010.00561.x
- Park, H., Noh, J., Bae, S., Choi., M., Ko, D., Park, J., "Factors related to depression in Korean middle school adolescents", The Journal of the Korean Society of School Health, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 19-28, 2010.
- The Effects of Mental Health on Obesity among Korean Adolescents vol.12, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.10.467