- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Effects of the Neurofeedback training on the General health status, Mental health and problem behavior, and Brain function quotient among High school students
뉴로피드백 훈련이 고등학생의 일반적 건강수준, 정신건강과 문제행동 및 뇌기능 지수에 미치는 영향
- Weon, Heewook (Division of Neuroscience, Seoul University of Buddhism) ;
- Lim, Jiyoung (Division of Nursing, CHA University) ;
- Son, Hae Kyoung (Division of Nursing, CHA University) ;
- Kim, Myung Ah (Division of Nursing, CHA University)
- Received : 2013.08.22
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
Morbidity, mortality, mental health and problem behavior appears to be high in adolescence, but there is no proper intervention. This quasi-experimental study examined the effects of the neurofeedback training on the general health status, mental health and problem behavior, and the brain function quotient through structured questionnaires and brain waves of 11 high school students (experimental group 5, control group 6). The study was conducted at I high school in Seoul from September to December, 2012. The subjects participated in the neurofeedback training twice a week for a total of 20 sessions by trained researcher. The data was analyzed using paired t-test or Wilcoxon signed rank test depending on the normality using SPSS 20.0. Significant improvement was observed in the emotion quotient and stress resistance quotient (left, right) among the brain function quotient, but not in the general health status, mental health and problem behavior.
Adolescence;Brain function quotient;Health status;Neurofeedback
- P. Kropp, M. Siniatchkin, W. D. Gerver, "On the pathophysiology of migraine-links for emprically based treatment with neurofeedback", Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, 27(3), pp.203-213, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1016251912324 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016251912324
- D. C. Hammond, "Treatment of chronic fatigue with neurofeedback and self-hypnosis", Neurorehabilitation, 16(4), pp.295-300, 2001.
- J. Raymond, C. Varney, L. A. Parkinson, J. H. Gruzelier, "The effects of alpha/thera neurofeedback on personality and mood", Cognitive Brain Research, 23, pp.287-292, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cogbrainres.2004.10.023 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cogbrainres.2004.10.023
- D. C. Hammond, "Neurofeedback with anxiety and affective disorders", Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 14(1), pp.105-123, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chc.2004.07.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chc.2004.07.008
- Y. S. Song, "The effects of neurofeedback training on fatigue, stress, and immune reaction in nursing students. Korean Society of Nursing Science, 18(2), pp.22-28, 2005.
- K. J. Baek, S. G. Yi, P. W. Park, "A research on the effect neurofeedback training before & after about emotional and attention deficit characteristics by timeseries linear analysis", The Korea Society of Information Technology Application, 14(4), pp.45-61, 2007.
- D. J. Fox, D. J. Tharp, L. C. Fox, "Neurofeedback:an alternative and efficacious treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder", Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, 30(4), pp.365-373, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10484-005-8422-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10484-005-8422-3
- Y. H. Lee, "Improvement of attention deficit by neurofeedback", The Education Journal for Physical and Multiple Disabilities, 40, pp.197-212, 2002.
- J. F. Lubar, "Discourse on the development of EEG diagnostics and biofeedback treatment for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorders", Biofeedback and Self-regulation 16, pp.201-225, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF01000016 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01000016
- H. K. Lee, "Report about the health status of Korean adolescents-a comprehensive overview of the Korean adolescent health through demographics", Korean Journal of Pediatrics 49(12), pp.1267-1274, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2006.49.12.1267 https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2006.49.12.1267
- J. K. Kim, "Change of exercise learing and EEG from EEG self-regulation training", The Korean Journal of Sports Psychology, 12(1), pp.1-13, 2001.
- J. C. Yoo, "The relationship between sport spectatorship and social behavior of adolescents", Unpublished master's thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul, 2000.
- J. S. Kim, S. A. Lee, M. S. Kim, "Effects of stretching on fatigue and concentration in high school students" Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 12(2), pp.196-203, 2006.
- Y. W. Ahn, "Clinical adaptation of neurofeedback", Journal of Korean Academy Family Medicing, 26(11), pp.489-491, 2005.
- H. W. Weon, S. G. Yi,, H. G. Kang, "Effects of a neurofeedback program on brain function and stress in high school students", Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 14(3), pp.315-324, 2008.
- J. Ware, C. D. Sherbourne, "The MOS 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36): I. Conceptual framework and item selection", Medical Care, 30(6), pp.473-483, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199206000-00002 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199206000-00002
- C. W. Han, E. J, Lee, T. Iwaya, H. Kataoka, M. Kohzuki, "Development of the Korean Version of Short-Form 36-Item Health Survey: Health Related QOL of Healthy Elderly People and Elderly Patients in Korea", The Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine, 203(3), pp.189-194, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1620/tjem.203.189 https://doi.org/10.1620/tjem.203.189
- D. H. Ahn, "Development of screening test and auxiliary test book for adolescent mental health", Seoul: Korea Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2006.
- S. J. Kim, C. S. Lee, Y. R. Kweon, M. R. Oh, B. Y. Kim, "Test of validity and reliability of the adolescent mental problem questionnaire for Korean high school students", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 39(5), pp.700-708, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.5.700 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.5.700
- Y. J. Kim, H. H. Kim, J. K. Park, H. K. Chae, M. Park, K. M. Kang, S. H. Cho, Y. K. Min, N. K. Jang, "The evaluations of the functional state of the brain by brain wave measure during problem-solving activities", The Korean Journal of Biological Education, 28(3), pp.291-301, 2000.
- K. R. Chun, "A study on perceived stress level and adaptive method of adolescents", Unpublished master's thesis, Donga University, Busan, 1994.
- The Review for Studies of Neurofeedback Training vol.25, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2014.25.3.271