- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Correlations Among the Sleep, Fatigue and Quality of life in patients with stroke
뇌졸중 환자의 수면, 피로감 및 삶의 질과의 관련성 연구
- Jang, Yeon-Sik (Department of Occupational Therapy, Graduate School, Dongshin University) ;
- Kim, Hee-Dong (Department of Occupational Therapy, Graduate School, Dongshin University) ;
- Chung, Hyun-Ae (Department of Occupational Therapy, DongShin University)
- Received : 2013.08.26
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
This research examined the correlation among sleep, fatigue and quality of life of stroke patients. Data regarding the quality of sleep, sleep satisfaction, fatigue and quality of life was collected from 37 stroke patients using questionnaires. The data was analyzed using Pearson correlation analysis. The results suggested that the quality of sleep is associated with sleep satisfaction and fatigue, and the level of sleep satisfaction is associated with the feelings of fatigue and quality of life. After the occurrence of stroke, most people experience insomnia and complain of physical and mental feelings of fatigue depending on the quality and level of satisfaction with sleep, as well as a decrease in the quality of life. Therefore, for the effective intervention of occupational therapy, it will be necessary to examine the sleep-related factors.
Fatigue;Quality of life;Sleep;Stroke
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Elderly Welfare Facilities, 2008
- Prange, G. B., Jannink, M. J. A., Groothuis-Oudshoorn, C. G. M., Hermens, H. J., & J, I. J. M. Systematic review of the effect of robot-aided therapy on recovery of the hemiparetic arm after stroke. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.43, No.2, p.171-184, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2005.04.0076 https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2005.04.0076
- S. O. Lim. A structual model for quality of life in stroke patients. Graduate school of Kyung hee University. 2002.
- H. M. Jung & Y. S. Jeon. Aroma massage on shoulder pain, depression, sleep disturbance in hemiparesis patients. Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing. Vol.7. No.2. p.231-237. 2004.
- H .L. Jang. The effect of foot relexology for sleep and fatigue of old. The graduate School of Hanyang University. 2003.
- World Health Organization. International classification of functioning disability and health(ICF). 2001.
- Roley, S. S., DeLany, J. V., Barrows, C. J., Brownrigg, S., Honaker, D., Sava, D. I., ... & Youngstrom, M. J. (2008). Occupational therapy practice framework: domain & practice. The American journal of occupational therapy.: official publication of the American Occupational Therapy Association. Vol.62. No.6. p.625. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.62.6.625
- M. H. Sung, M. H. Lee, G. S. Song, E. M. Jun. The effects of foot reflexology massage on the central pain, fatigue and sleep in stroke patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. Vol.17. No.1. p.46-56. 2011.
- Berg, A., Palomaki, H., Lehtihalmes, M., Lonnqvist, J. & Kaste, M. Poststroke Depression: An 18-Month Follow-Up. Stroke, Vol.34. No.1. p138-143. 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000048149.84268.07 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000048149.84268.07
- Leppavuori, A., Pohjasvaara, T., Vataja, R., Kaste, M., & Erkinjuntti, T. Insomnia in Ischemic Stroke Patients. Cerebrovascular Diseases, Vol.14. No.2. p.90-97. 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000064737 https://doi.org/10.1159/000064737
- S .K. Son. Relationship between fatigue and sleep quality in patients with cancer. The journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing. Vol.14. No.3. p.378-389. 2002.
- Trendall, J. Concept analysis: chronic fatigue. Journal of advanced nursing, Vol.32. No.5. p.1126-1131. 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01583.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01583.x
- Colle, F., Bonan, I., Gellez Leman, M. C., Bradai, N., & Yelnik, A. Fatigue after stroke. Annales De Readaptation Et De Medecine Physique, Vol.49. No.6, p.361-364. 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annrmp.2006.04.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annrmp.2006.04.010
- Glader, E. L., Stegmayr, B., & Asplund, K. Poststroke Fatigue: A 2-Year Follow-Up Study of Stroke Patients in Sweden. Stroke, Vol.33. No.5, p.1327-1333. 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000014248.28711.D6 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000014248.28711.D6
- Van Zandvoort, M. J. E., Kappelle, L. J., Algra, A., & De Haan, E. H. F. (1998). Decreased capacity for mental effort after single supratentorial lacunar infarct may affect performance in everyday life. Journal of neurology, neurosurgery and psychiatry, Vol.65. No.5. p.697-702. 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.65.5.697 https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.65.5.697
- M. H. Ahn. The relationship between social support & the quality of life among the elderly living alone in the community. The Graduate School of Nursing Yonsei University. 2005.
- M. J. Moon. A study on the instrumental activities of daily living and quality of life of elderly home residents. Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing. Vol.4. No.1. p.46-57. 2001.
- J. J. Oh, M. S. Song, S. M. Kim. Development and validation of Korean sleep scale A. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol.28, No.3. p.564-572. 1998. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19220.127.116.113
- S. H. Wi. The relationship between depression and sleep in stroke patients. The Graduate School of Ewha Womans University. 2008.
- S. H. Yun. The effects of Aroma inhalation on sleep and fatigue in night shift nurses. The Graduate School of Yonsei University. 2008.
- J. I. Moon. A study on the factors affecting stroke quality of life; Using the stroke-specific quality of life(SS-QOL). The Graduate School of Daegu University. 2004.
- Southwell, M. T. Sleep in hospitals at night: are patients' needs being met?, Journal of advanced nursing. Vol.21. No.6. p.1101. 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1995.21061101.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1995.21061101.x
- I. S. Lee. Relationship among physical strength, depression and quality of sleep in hospitalized elderly patients. The Graduate School of Kosin University. 2007.
- G. O. Park, S. J. Shin. Activities of daily living and fatigue in the stroke patients. Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation nursing. Vol.13. No.1. p23-31. 2010.
- J. S. Kim, H. S. Hong, Y. K. Na. A study of fatigue, depression and sleep disorders in patients with chronic liver disease. Journal Korean Biological Nursing Science. Vol.14. No.1. p.1-7. 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.1.1 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.1.1
- M. H. Suh, S. Choi-Kwon. Sleep-wake disturbance in post-stroke patients. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. Vol.11. No.1. p.23-31. 2009.
- D. E. Jones. Fatigue in cholestatic liver disease: Is it all in the mind? Journal of Hepatology. Vol. 46. p.992-994. 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2007.03.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2007.03.006
- S. M. Park, J. Y. Kim, I. S. Jang, E. J. Park. Severity of insomnia, depression, and quality of life in elderly. Vol. 28. No. 4. p.991-1007. 2008.
- H. J. Lee, Y. J. Lim, H. Y. Jung, H. K. Park. Sleep disturbance, physical activity and health related quality of life in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Vol.31. No.3. p.607-621. 2011.
- The Effect of Physical and Psychological, and Social factors on Health Promotion Behavior among the stroke patients vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8525
- A Study about the Quality of Life and QALYs of Stroke Patients according to the Medical Care Utilization Behavior: Findings from the 2009–2012 Korea Health Panel Data vol.37, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13048/jkm.16005