- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Type D Personality of Female Undergraduate Students Majoring in Nursing
간호학전공 여대생의 D유형 성격에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Noh, Jun Hee (Department of Nursing, Woosuk University) ;
- Lim, Eun Ju (Red Cross College of Nursing, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Jeong, Yong-Sun (Department of Nursing, Dongshin University)
- Received : 2013.08.16
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
The aim of this study was to clarify the variables influencing the Type D personality of female university students majoring in nursing. The subjects were 353 female students attending a nursing college, and multiple regression analysis was performed using the PASW 18.0 program. The distribution of Type D personality in the subjects was 34.8%. The factors influencing the Type D personality included the support of family and friends, satisfaction with their major, self-esteem, life stress, and resilience. The factor with the greatest influence among the variables was life stress, and the explanatory power of this model was 36.3%. Intervention programs should be developed to reduce the level of Type D personality among nursing college students to provide them with the appropriate expertise as prospective nurses.
Supported by : 우석대학교
- E. J. Lim, S. E. Kim, and J. H. Noh, "Type D personality, depression, and social support of young adult workers", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol.14, No.6, pp.3121-3133, 2012.
- D. R. Baldacchino, and P. Galea, "Student nurses' personality traits and the nursing profession: Part 1", British Journal of Nursing, Vol.21, No.7, pp.419-425, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2012.21.7.419
- T. W. Smith, and L. C. Gallo. Personality traits as risk factors for physical illness. In A. Baum, T. Revenson, & J. Singer (Eds.), p.139-172, Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 2001.
- T. W. Smith, "Personality and physical health personality as risk and resilience in physical health", Personality and Physical Health, Vol. 15, No.5, pp.227-231, 2006.
- C. Jimenez, P. M. Navia-Osorio, and C. V. Diaz, "Stress and health in novice and experienced nursing students", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.66, No.2, pp.442-455, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05183.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05183.x
- H. J. Choi, and E. J. Lee, "Mediation effects of self-efficacy between academic stress and college adjustment in first year nursing students", Journal of Korean Academic Fundamental Nursing, Vol.19, No.2, pp.261-268, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.261 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.261
- D. Edwards, P. Burnard, K. Bennett, and U. Hebden, "A longitudinal study of stress and self-esteem in student nurses", Nurse Education Today, Vol.30, No.1, pp.78-84, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.06.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.06.008
- M. Pulido-Martos, J. M. Augusto-Landa, and E. Lopez-Zafra, "Sources of stress in nursing students: A systematic review of quantitative studies", International Nursing Review, Vol.59, No.1, pp.15-25, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2011.00939.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2011.00939.x
- S. Pryjmachuk, and D. A. Richards, "Predicting stress in pre-registration nursing students", British Journal of Health Psychology, Vol.12, No.1, pp.125-144, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1348/135910706X98524 https://doi.org/10.1348/135910706X98524
- H. J. Park, and I. S. Jang, "Stress, depression, coping styles and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students", The Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.16, No.1, pp.14-23, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014
- J. Block, and J. H. Block. The role of ego-control and ego-resiliency in the organization of behavior. In W. A. Collins, Minnesota Symposia on Child Psychology, p.39-101, Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1980.
- B. Smith, J. Dalen, K. Wiggins, E. Tooley, P. Christopher, and J. Bernard, "The brief resilience scale: Assessing the ability to bounce back", International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, Vol.15, No.3, pp.195-200, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10705500802222972 https://doi.org/10.1080/10705500802222972
- M. McAllister, and J. McKinnon, "The importance of teaching and learning resilience in the health disciplines: A critical review of the literature", Nurse Education Today, Vol.29, No.4, pp.371-379, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2008.10.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2008.10.011
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. Buchner, A. G. Lang, "Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses", Behavior Research Methods, Vol.41, No.4, pp.1149-1160, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- J. Denollet, "DS14: Standard assessment of negative affectivity, social inhibition, and Type D personality", Psychosomatic Medicine, Vol.67, No.1, pp.89-97, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.psy.0000149256.81953.49 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.psy.0000149256.81953.49
- H. E. Lim, M. S. Lee, Y. H. Ko, Y. M. Park, S. H. Joe, Y. K. Kim, C. S. Han, H. Y. Lee, S. S. Pedersen, and J. Denollet, "Assessment of the Type D personality construct in the Korean population: A validation study of the Korean DS14", Journal of Korean Medical Science, Vol.26, No.1, pp.116-123, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2011.26.1.116 https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2011.26.1.116
- K. K. Chon, K. H. Kim, and J. S. Yi, "Development of the revised life stress scale for college students", Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol.5, No.2, pp.316-335, 2000.
- J. A. Park, and E. K. Lee, "Influence of ego-resilience and stress coping styles on college adaptation in nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol.17, No.3, pp.267-276, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.3.267 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.3.267
- G. M. Wagnild, and H. M. Young, " Development and psychometric evaluation of the Resilience Scale", Journal of Nursing Measurement, Vol.1, No.2, pp.165-178, 1993.
- N. Y. Shin. The relationships among health locus of control and resilience, social support and health promoting behavior in patients with coronary artery disease. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 2011.
- Y. R. Park, "Type-D Personality, Self-esteem, Depression and Stress in Middle-Aged Women", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol.12, No.5, pp.2567-2578, 2010.
- L. Williams, R. C. O'Connor, S. Howard, B. M. Hughes, D. W. Johnston, J. L. Hay, D. B. O'Connor, C. A. Lewis, E. Ferguson, N. Sheehy, M. A. Grealy, and R. E. O'Carroll, "Type-D personality mechanisms of effect: The role of health-related behavior and social support", Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Vol.64, No.1, pp.63-69, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2007.06.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2007.06.008
- Y. S. Kim, M. S. Kim, and W. S. Cho, "A study on the relationship between self-esteem, self-efficacy and clinical practice performance, academic achievement, decision making of major field in clinical practice". Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education, Vol.8, No.1, pp.51-60, 2002.
- R. Polman, E. Borkoles, and A. R. Nicholls," Type D personality, stress, and symptoms of burnout: The influence of avoidance coping and social support". British Journal of Health Psychological Society, Vol.15, No.3, pp.681-696. 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1348/135910709X479069 https://doi.org/10.1348/135910709X479069
- A. Sand, "Nurses' personalities, nursing-relating qualities and work satisfaction: A 10-year perspective", Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol.12, No.2, pp.177-187, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2702.2003.00729.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2702.2003.00729.x
- A. McVicar, "Workplace stress in nursing: A literature review", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.44, No.6, pp.633-642, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.0309-2402.2003.02853.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0309-2402.2003.02853.x
- P. M. C. Mommersteeg, J. Denollet, and E. J. Martens, "Type D personality, depressive symptoms and work-related health outcomes", Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, Vol.40, pp.35-42, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1403494811421533 https://doi.org/10.1177/1403494811421533
- M. H. Sung, "Spiritual well-being and life stress of nursing students", Korean Journal of Promotion Disease Prevention, Vol.9, No.3, pp.222-229, 2009.
- Y. S. Song, "Stressful life events and quality of life in nursing students", Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education, Vol.18, No.1, pp.71-80, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.071 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.071
- H. S. Cho, "Relationship of stress, depression and suicidal tendencies in nursing students". Korean Parent-Child Health Journal, Vol.12, No.1, pp.3-14, 2009.
- O. H. Lee, "The influence of life stress, ego-resilience and social support on psychological well-being among college students", Korea Youth Research Association, Vol.19, No.1, pp.29-57, 2012.
- E. K. Song, and Y. J. Son, "The analysis of Type D personality research as a psychosocial risk factor in cardiovascular disease for elders with a chronic disease", Journal of Korean Academic of Nursing, Vol.38, No.1, pp.19-28, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.1.19 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.1.19
- F. Mols, and J. Denollet, "Type D personality among noncardiovascular patient populations: A systematic review, General Hospital Psychiatry, Vol.32, No.1, pp.66-72, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2009.09.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2009.09.010
- K. S. Han, and G. M. Kim, "Comparison to self esteem, family adaptation, health promoting behaviors, and symptoms of stress between nursing and other major university women student", Journal of Korean Academic Psychomental Health Nursing, Vol.16, No.11, pp.78-84, 2007.
- K. Yamashita, M. Saito, and T. Takao, "Stress and coping styles in Japanese nursing students", International Journal of Nursing Practice, Vol.18, No.5, pp.489-496, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2012.02056.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2012.02056.x
- Y. G. Park, and I. S. Kang, "University student's of campus life stress, self-esteem and health promotion behavior", The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol.6, No.4, pp.177-189, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2012.6.4.177 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2012.6.4.177
- The Mediating Effect of the Resilience on the Relationship between Type D Personality and Compliance in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease vol.28, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.1.61