- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Learning ability and Stress by Character type in Nursing College Students
간호 대학생의 성격유형별 학업능력과 스트레스
- Cha, Nam-Hyun (Nursing Department, Health Science College, Kangwon University)
- 차남현 (강원대학교 보건과학대학 간호학과)
- Received : 2013.08.20
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
The aim of this study was to identify the influencing factors and the relationships between the learning ability and stress according to the character type in nursing college students. A total of 209 subjects were selected by convenient sampling. The data was collected using a self-reported questionnaire from November 2 to 20, 2012. The differences in the character type, learning ability and stress according to the general characteristics were as follows. The character type was significantly different according to grade (F=6.551, p<.036). In addition, the learning ability was significantly different according to the grade (F=7.059, p<.001), religion (F=4.651, p<.001), school record (F=7.667, p<.001), economic status (F=7.700, p<.000) and methods of reducing stress (F=2.531, p<.030). Stress was significantly different according to the grade (F=7.414, p<.001), school record (F=4.776, p<.009) and cohabitation (F=9.989, p<.000). A negative correlation was observed between the character type and learning ability, and between learning ability and stress. 8.4% of the variance was observed in character type A, which was explained by the learning ability and stress. These findings may be useful for understanding the learning ability of nursing college students and developing more specific programs regarding personality and stress control.
- A. Caspi, D. J. Bem, "Personality continuity and change across the life course, in L. A. Pervin(Ed.). handbook of personality: theory and research", New York: Guilford press, 1990.
- T. M. Begley, C. Lee, J. M. Czajka, "The relationships of type A behavior and optimism with job performance and blood pressure", Journal of Business and Psychology, 15(2), pp215-227, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1007782926730 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007782926730
- Y. S. Lee, "Study on the relationship among personality type, learning pattern and learning achievement", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul Womens University, 1995.
- J. Y. Park, "Study on the relationship among character type A & B ego-identity and stress coping", Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung University, 1995.
- B. G. Ahn, "The influence of personality type on student performance in the introductory economics course", The Korean Journal of Economic Education, 13(2), pp137-158, 2006.
- A. L, Ziegert, "The role of personality temperament and student learning in principles of economics: Further evidence", Journal of Economic Education, 200, pp302-322, 2000.
- K. H. Yun, "Relationship between personality traits and academic achievement", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, 1983.
- H. S. Lee, "Dimensional theory of personality, Journal of Humanities", 7-8, pp1-27, 1993.
- I. B. Myers, "Introduction to type(3rd ed.)", Palo Alto. CA: Consulting Psychologists Press, 1980.
- A. J. Martin, H. W. Marsh, R. L. Debus, "A quadrapole need achievement representation of self-handicapping and defective pessimism", American Educational Research Journal, 38(3), pp583-610, 2001. https://doi.org/10.3102/00028312038003583
- K. K. Brown, "Type A behavior pattern in Black college women: Implications for academic adjustment and emotional well-being", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Boston College, 2005.
- S. G. Haynes, S. Levine, N. Scotch, M. Feinleib, W. B. Kannel, "The relationship of psychological factors to coronary heart disease in the framingham study: 1. methods and risk factors", American Journal of Epidemiology, 105(5), pp362-383, 1978.
- S. K. Jang, "A-B personality type, preknowledge of stressor and stress strength", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, 1983.
- N. R. Kim, "A study on the development and validity of the scale of academic resilience "Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Sookmyung University, 2008.
- S. Cohen, T. Kamarck, R. Mermelstein, "A global measure of perceived stress", Journal of health and social behavior, 24, pp385-396, 1983. https://doi.org/10.2307/2136404
- J. H. Park, Y. S. Seo, "Validation of the perceived stress scale (pss) on samples of korean university students", The Korean Journal of Psychology, 29(3), pp611-629, 2010.
- D. S. Kim, "Analysis on high school students' learning attitude and academic achievement according to their behavior patterns of A-and B-type", Unpublished master's thesis, Kangwon National University, 2006.
- H. G. Lee, "Effect of A/B behavior type and optimistic type on stress and schoo adjustment", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyungsung University, 2001.
- Influence from the academic stress by the achievement pressure of their parents and adjustment effect of self-differentiation vol.15, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.11.6756