- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Partner Selection on the Performance of International Strategic Alliances: The Examination of Moderating Process of Previous Experience
제휴파트너 선정성향이 제휴성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구: 제휴경험의 조절효과를 중심으로
- Ahn, Sun Yub (Department of International Business, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies) ;
- Hyun, Jae Hoon (Department of International Business, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies)
- Received : 2013.11.18
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
This study examined adomestic firm's perspective on how their choice of partner selection criteria affects the mediating variables and the performance of international strategic alliances with particular reference to previous experience as a moderating variable. The findings of this study showed that the task-related and partner-related criteria are both positively related to trust and commitment but the results concerning the partner-related criteria repudiates the existing practices that domestic firms select foreign partners based on the partners' attributes because this weaken the commitment of the partnership. This study suggests that firms should revise their partner selection criteria, which will eventually lead to the more desirable performance of international strategic alliances.
International strategic alliance;Task-related criteria;Partner-related criteria;Commitment;Trust;Performance
Supported by : 한국외국어대학교
- Yoshino, M. Y. and U. S. Rangan(1995), "Strategic Alliance: An Entrepreneurial Approach to Globalization," Harvard Business School Press, PP. 27-31.
- Vasudevan,A. and G. Duysters(1998), The Changing Face of Alliance Management: Managerial Imperatives for the Network Economy, ICANSI, PP. 2-18.
- Das, T. and Teng, B(1999), Managing risks in strategic alliances, Academy of Management Executive, Vol. 13(4), pp. 50-62
- Geringer, J. M. (1991) Strategic determinants of partner selection criteria in international joint venture," Journal of international Business Studies, 1st,pp.41-62
- Killing, J. P. (1983) "Strategies for Joint Venture Success" London, Croom Helm.
- Harrigan, K. R. (1985) "Joint Venture and Global Strategies", Columbia Journal of World Business, 19(2), 7-16.
- Luo, Y. (1997) "Partner selection and venturing success: the case of joint ventures with firms in the people's Republic of China", Organization Science, 8(6), pp. 648-662. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/orsc.8.6.648 https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.8.6.648
- Madhok, A. (1995), "Revisiting multinational firm's tolerance for joint venture: A trust based approach," Journal of International Business Studies, 26(1), 117-147. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490168 https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490168
- Hosmer, L. T.(1995), "Trust: The Connecting Link between Organizational Theory and Philosophical Ethics", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 379-403. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/258851 https://doi.org/10.2307/258851
- Morgan, R. M. & S. D. Hunt(1994), "The commitment-trust theory of relationship marketing," Journal of Marketing, 58(July), 20-28. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1252308 https://doi.org/10.2307/1252308
- Cullen, J. B. & J. L. Johnson(1995), Japanese and local partner commitment to IJVs : psychological consequences of outcomes and investments in the IJV relationship", Journal of International Business Studies, pp.91-115. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490167 https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490167
- Chang, M. and Lee, Dong (2003), "Empirical study on the determinants and performance of strategic alliance between internet shopping mall and third party logistics," Information System Review, 5(2), 339-346.
- Henderson, J, C.(1995), "Plugging into Strategic Partnerships : The Critical is Connection", Sloan Management Review, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 7-18.
- MacNeil, I.(1981), "Economic Analysis of Contractual Relations; Its Shortfalls and the Need for a Rich Classificatory Apparatus", Northwestern University Law Review, Vol. 75, pp. 1018-1063.
- Kanter, M. R.(1994), "Collaborative Advantage: The Art of Alliances", Harvard Business Review, pp. 96-108.
- Bleeke, J. & D. Ernst(1991a), "The way to win in the cross-border alliances," Harvard Business Review, Nov/Dec, 127-135.
- Sarkar, R. E., S. T. Cavusgil, & P. S. Aulakh(2001), "The influence of complementarity, compatibility, and relationship capital on alliance performance," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 29(4), 358-373. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/03079450094216 https://doi.org/10.1177/03079450094216
- Beamish, P. W.(1987)"Joint Ventures in LCDs : Partner Selection and Performance," Management International Review, Vol, 27, pp.23-37.
- Mohr, J & R. Spekman(1994), "Characteristics of partnership Attributes, Communication Behavior, and conflict resolution techniques," Strategic Management Journal, 15, 135-152. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250150205 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250150205
- Angle, H. and J. Perry.(1981) "An Empirical Assessment of Organizational Commitment and Organizational Effectiveness", Administrative Scienc Quarterly, Vol.26, pp.1-14. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2392596 https://doi.org/10.2307/2392596
- Doz, Y. L. & G. Hamel (1998) Alliance advantage. The art of creating value through partnering. Boston, MA, Havard Business School Press.
- Child, J. and D. Faulkne(1998), Strategies of Cooperation: Managing Alliances, Networks, and the United Kingdom, Physica-Verlag.
- Lewicki, R. J. and B. B. Bunker (1995), Trust in Relationship: A Model of Development and Decline, in B. B. Bunker and J. Z., Rubin(Eds.), Conflict, Cooperation and Justice: Essays Inspired by the Work of Moreton Deutsch, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Cho, D. (2005), "Globalization of SME and Strategic Alliance", Journal of Small and Medium Enterprise, 29-64.
- Das, T, K. & Bing-Sheng Teng(2000), Instabilities of Strategic Alliances: An Internal Tensions Perspective," Organization Science, 11(1), 77-101. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.18.104.22.16870
- Saxton, T. (1997), "The effects of partner and relationship characteristics on alliance outcomes," Academy Journal of Management Journal, 40, PP. 443-461
- Barney, J. B. & M. H. Hansen(1994), "Trustworthiness as a Source of Competitive Advantage," Strategic Management Journal, 15(8), 175-190. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250150912
- Shin, D. Y. (2000), "Performance of strategic alliance and ethical management," Samsung Economic Research Institute, 133-170.
- Morgan, Robert M. & Shelby D. Hunt(1994), "The Commitment-trust Theory of Relationship Marketing," Journal of Marketing, 58(3), 20-38.
- Lim, Y. K. and Kwon, Y. S. (2003), "The effect of commitment and trust on the performance of distribution channel supported by EDI," Journal of Distribution Studies, 4(1), 123-140.
- Dyer, J. & K. Nobeoka(2000), "Creating and managing a high performance knowledge sharing network: The Toyota case," Strategic Management Journal, 21(3), 345-367. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(200003)21:3<345::AID-SMJ96>3.0.CO;2-N
- Dyer, j. & H. Singh(1998), "The relational view: Cooperative strategy and sources of interorganizational competitive advantage," Academy of Management Review, 23(4), 660-679.
- Anand, B. N. and Khanna, T. (2000) Do firm learn to create value? The case of alliances. Strategic Management Jounal 21(3): 295-317. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(200003)21:3<295::AID-SMJ91>3.0.CO;2-O
- McGee, J. E. and M. J. Dowling. (1994), R&D Cooperative arrangement to leverage managerial experience : A study of technology-intensive", Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.9 pp. 38-48.
- Gulati, Ranjay(1995), "Does Familiarity Breed Trust? The Implications of Repeated Ties for Contractual Choice in Alliances," Academy of Management Journal, 38(1), 85-112. https://doi.org/10.2307/256729
- Jun, Y. W. and Yeo, K. C. (2002), "A study on the types of strategic alliance and the performance," Journal of International Business, 13(2), 259-287.
- Li Dong & Keith W. Glaister (2006) "Motives and partner selection criteria in international strategic alliance: Perspectives of Chinese firms" International Business Review, 15, 577-600. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2006.09.003
- Johanson, J. and Vahlne, J.E. (1977) "The internationalization process of the firm: A model of knowledge development and increasing market commitments." Journal of International Business Studies 8(1): 23-32. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490676
- Alcantara, L., Mitsuhashi, H. and Hoshino, Y. (2006), "Legitimacy in international joint ventures: It is still needed. Journal of Interational Management 12(4): 389-407.
- Miller, S. and Eden, L. (2006), "Local density and foreign subsidiary performance." Academy of Management Journal 49(2): 341-355. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2006.20786081