- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Moderating Effects of Shared Leadership on the Relationship between Types of Organizational Culture and Organizational Commitment, Job Satisfaction - A Focus on Company 'P
공유리더십의 조절효과를 중심으로 조직문화 유형과 조직몰입 및 직무만족과의 관계연구 - 'P' 기업을 대상으로
- Kim, Young-Hun (Graduate School, Kyunghee University) ;
- Chang, Youngchul (Graduate School, Kyunghee University)
- Received : 2013.10.25
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
This study examined the relationship between the type of organizational culture and organizational commitment, job satisfaction as well as the moderate effects of shared leadership on the relationship among the organizational culture, organizational commitment, and job satisfaction at a world leading steel company 'P'. The results showed that the consensus culture and rational culture positively affect the organizational commitment, and that the developmental culture, consensus culture and rational culture positively affected the job satisfaction. The results also revealed the meaningful moderate effects of the shared leadership on the relationship between the development culture, consensus culture and job satisfaction. The suggestions were made accordingly to propose the directions to improve the organizational performance of the company that is in global competition.
Job Satisfaction;Organizational Commitment;Organizational Culture;Shared Leadership
- Avolio, B. J. Jung, D. O. and Sivasubramanium, N., "Building Highly Developed Teams: Focusing on Shared Leadership Process, Efficacy, Trust, and Performance", in M. M. Beyerlein & D. A. Johnson, Beyerlein, S. T.(Eds,). Advances in interdisciplinary study of work teams: team leadership, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 3, pp.173-209, 1996.
- Bantel, K. A. "Strategic Planning Openness : The Role of Top Team Demography", Group & Organization Management, 19, p.406, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1059601194194002 https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601194194002
- Carson, J. B., Tesluk, P. E and Marrone, J. A., "Shared Leadership in Teams: An Investigation of Antecedent Conditions and Performance", Academy of Management Journal, 50, pp.1217-1234, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/20159921 https://doi.org/10.2307/20159921
- Cheoulgyu Jee, and Youngchul Chang. "A Study on the Effect of Knowledge Workers's Job Characteristics on Organizational Commitment - Shared Leadership as a Moderating Variable", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp.5786-5799, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5786 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5786
- Day, A, and Carroll, S. "Using an Ability-based Measure of Emotional Intelligence to Predict Individual Performance, Group Performance, and Group Citizenship Behaviors", Personality and Individual Differences, 36, pp.1443-1458, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(03)00240-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(03)00240-X
- Deal, T. E. and Kenedy, A. A. "Corporate Cultures: The Rites and Rituals of Corporate Life, Reading MA: Effectiveness", Wiley, Addison-Wesley Pub. 1982.
- Denison, D, R. "Bringing Corporate Culture to the Bottom Line", Organizational Dynamics, 13(2), pp.5-22, 1984. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(84)90015-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(84)90015-9
- Gibb, C. A. "Leadership, In G. Lindzey", Handbook of social psychology, Reading, MA: Addison- Wesley, pp.877-917, 1954.
- Greenberg, R. A., Behavior in Organizations, 8th ed., Upper Saddle River, NJ : Prentice-Hall. 2003.
- Gregory, B. T. Harris, S. G., Armenakis, A. A., and Shook, C. L. "Organizational Cultures and Effectiveness: A Study of Values, Attitudes, and Organizational Outcomes", Journal of Business Research, 62, pp.673-679, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.05.021 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.05.021
- Heskett, J. L. Jones, T. O. Lloveman, G. W. Sasser JR, W. E. and Schlesinger, L. A. "Putting the Service-Profit Chain to Work", Harvard Business Review, 72, pp.164-170, 1994.
- Hiller, N. J. Day, D. V. and Vance, R. J. "Collective enactment of Leadership Roles and Team Effectiveness: A Field Study", The Leadership Quarterly, 17, 2006.
- Ho Jung Kim, "The Effects of Organizational Culture on Organizational Commitment and Job Satisfaction in the Public Sector", Korean Public Administration Review, Vol. 36(4), pp.87-105, 2002.
- Hoppock, R. Job Satisfaction, New York: John Wily & Sons, 1935.
- Jaskyte, K., and Dressler, W. W. "Studying Culture as an Integral Aggregate Variable : Organizational Culture and Innovation in a Group of Nonprofit Organizations", Human Resource Management Review, 1(1), pp.61-89, 2004.
- Jinwook Kim, Youngchul Chang, and Cheoulgyu Jee, "A Study of Employee Engagement on Hezagon Leadership", Journal of the Korea Academic-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp.1699-1708, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1699 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1699
- Katz, D. and Kahn, R. L. The Social Psychology of Organization(2nd ed.), NY: John Wiley and Sons, pp.23-30, 1978
- Kozlowski, S. W. J. and Bell, B. S. "Work Groups and Teams in Organizations", In W. C. Borman, D. R. Ilgen, and R. J. Klimoski(Eds.). Comprehensive Handbook of Psychology, vol. 12: Industrial and Organizational Psychology. pp. 333-275, New York: Wiley, 2003.
- Kwantes, C. T. and Boglarsky, C. A. "Perceptions of Organizational Culture, Leadership Effectiveness and Personal Effectiveness Across Six Countries", Journal of International Management, 13, pp.204-230, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.intman.2007.03.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intman.2007.03.002
- Lock, E. A. "The Nature and Causes Job Satisfaction", In M, D, Dunnett(ed), Handbook of Indurstrial and Organizational Psychology, pp.1300-1307, Chicago, Rand MCnally, 1976.
- Luthans, F. Baack, D. and Taylor, L. "Organizational Commitment : Analysis of Antecedents", Human Relations, 40(4), pp.219-235, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/001872678704000403 https://doi.org/10.1177/001872678704000403
- Marcoulides, G. A. and Heck, "Organizational Culture and Performance - Proposing and Testing a Model", Organization Science, 4(2), pp.209-225, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/orsc.4.2.209 https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.4.2.209
- McComick, E. J. and Ilgen, D. Industrial Psychology. 7th ed., Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J., 1980.
- Meyer, J. P. and Allen, N. J. "A Three Component Conceptualization Organizational Commitment", Human Resource Management Review, Vol. 1, pp.61-98, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z https://doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z
- Meyer, J. P. and Allen, N. J. Commitment in the Workplace : Theory, Research and Application, Thousand Oaks, Sage Publications, 1997.
- Mowday, R. T. Poter, L. M. and Steers, R. M. Employee Organizational Linkages : The Psychology of Commitment. Absenteeism and Turnover, New York : Academic Press, 1982.
- Nahapiet, J. and Ghoshal, S. "Social Capital, Intellectual Capital, and the Organizational Advantage," Academy of Management Review, 23, pp.242-266, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1998.533225 https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1998.533225
- Neubert, M. J. Kacmar, K. M. Carlson, D. S. Chonko, L. B. and Roberts, J. A. "Regulatory Focus as a Mediator of the Influence of Initiating Structure and Servant Leadership on Employee Behavior", Journal of Applied Psychology, 93, pp.1220-1233, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0012695 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0012695
- Ouchi, W. Theory Z. Reading, Mass, Addison-Wesley. 1981.
- Parker, R. and Bradley, L. "Organizational Culture in the Public Sector: Evidence from Six Organizations", International Journal of Public Sector Management, 132(2), pp.67-91, 2000.
- Pascale, R. T. and Athos, A. G. The Arts of Japanese Management, New York : Penguin Books, pp.78-84, 1981.
- Pearce, C. L, and Conger, J. A. "Shared Leadership : Reframing the Hows and Whys of Leadership", Thousand Oaks, Sage Publications Inc, PEARCE, C. L., CONGER, J. A. and LOCKE, E. A. Shared Leadership Theory, The Leadership Quarterly, 19, pp.622-628, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2008.07.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2008.07.005
- Pearce, C. L. Manz, C. C. and Sims, H. P. "The Roles of Vertical and Shared Leadership in the Enactment of Executive Corruption : Implications for Research and Practice", The Leadership Quarterly, 19, pp.353-359, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2008.03.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2008.03.007
- Pearce, C. L. and Sims, H. P. "The Relative Influence of Vertical vs Shared Leadership on the Longitudinal Effectiveness of Change Management Teams", Group Dynamics: Theory, Research, and Practice, 6(2), pp.172-197, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1089-26220.127.116.11 https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-2618.104.22.168
- Peters, T. J. and Waterman, R. H. In Search of Excellence, New York: Harper & Row, 1982.
- Pettigrew, M. A. "On Studying Organizational Cultures", Administrative Science Quarterly, 24(4), pp.570-581, 1979. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2392363 https://doi.org/10.2307/2392363
- Quinn, R. E. Beyond Rational Management Mastering the Paradoxes and Compeying Demands of High Performance, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1988.
- Quinn, R. E. and Kimberly, J. R. "Paradox, Planning and Perspective: Guidelines for Managerial Practice", Research in organizational Changes and Development, 5, JAI Press, pp.295-313, 1984.
- Quinn, R. E. and McGrath, M. R. "The Transformation of Organizational Cultures: A Competing Value Approach. in Frost, Peter et al.(eds)", Organizational Cculture, CA : Sage, Benerly Hills, pp.315-334, 1985.
- Quinn, R. E. and Spreitzer, G. "The Psychometric of the Competing Values Culture Instrument and an Analysis of the Impact of Organizational Culture on Quality of Life", Research in Organizational Change and Development, vol. 5, pp.115-142, 1991.
- Sivasubraminiam, W. D. Murry, B. J. Avolio, and D. I. Jung, "A longitudinal Model of the Effects of Team Leadership and Group Potency on Group Performance", Group and Organization Management, 27, pp.69-96, 2002.
- Smircich, L. "Concepts of Culture and Organizational Analysis", Administrative Science Quarterly, 28(3), pp.339-358, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2392246 https://doi.org/10.2307/2392246
- Smith, H. C. Psychology of Industrial Behavior, New York : McGraw Hill Book, 1955.
- Wilkins, A. L. and Ouich, W. G. "Efficient Cultures: Exploring the Relationship Between Culture and Organizational Performance", Administrative Science Quarterly, 28, pp.468-481, 1983. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392253
- Zammuto, R. and Krakower, J. "Quantitative and Qualitative Studies of Organizational Culture", Research in Organizational Change and Development, 5(1), pp.83-114, 1991.