- Volume 14 Issue 12
This study examined the status on job satisfaction and job performance of Advanced Practice Nurses (APNs) in Korea. The data was obtained from the 2009 APNs' job satisfaction survey of 452 nurses who received the certificate of APN between 2005 and 2008 conducted by the Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education. ANOVA and t-test analyses using SPSS version 14.0 were performed. The average job satisfaction level of the APNs was 2.94 out of 5.00. APNs who were performing jobs as a certified APN had a higher level of job satisfaction (t=.23, p<.001), higher wages (t=2.23, p<.05), promotion in rank (t=2.56, p<.05), more professional job performance (t=10.52, p<.001), greatest trust in their bosses and coworkers (t=5.31, p<.001), and higher confidence in their job performance (t=5.07, p<.001) than those who were not. The government and the nursing community need to provide the APNs' with the appropriate supply and demand polices, as well as a proper incentive system and job improvement.
Advanced Practice Nurse;Job Satisfaction;Job Performance
- T. W. Lee, I. S. Ko, I. S. Kim, H. O. Kim, Y. W. Park, I. J. Kim, et al., "Development of roles and organizational policy of advanced practice nurses in an acute hospital setting", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 352-361, 2007.
- M. S. Cho, Y. A. Cho, I. G. Kwon, M. J. Seo, & H. J. Baek, "Importance, satisfaction and contribution of advanced practice nurses' role recognized by health care professionals", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 168-179, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.168 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.168
- American Nurses Association, "The role of the clinical nurse specialist", Kansas City :American Nurses Association, 1996.
- Korean Nurses Association, "A study on continuing education of nurses", Journal of Korean Nursing, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 49-60, 2000.
- J. J. Lee, "View and promotion process to the Korea regulatory body of advanced practice nurses of Korean Nurses Association", Journal of Korean Academy of Oncology Nursing, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 86-91, 2001.
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education, "National licensing examination for nurses", [cited Oct. 3, 2012], available from http://kabon.or.kr/kabon04/ index02.php(accessed August 20, 2013).
- J. I. Kim, "Job performance and job satisfaction in anesthetic nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Yeungnam University, Daegu, 2002.
- K. J. Km, "Job satisfaction of clinical nurse specialist, Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, 2004.
- M. O. Jang, "A study on the effect of the transfer of assignment on the special nursing and job satisfaction in case of nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Chungiu National University, Chungiu, 2011.
- S. H. Oh, S. T. Moon, & H. S. Kang, "Relationships among nurses internal marketing occupational satisfaction and organizational commitment", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 65-73, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.1.065 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.1.065
- M. Trevor, R. Sarah, & G. Peter, "Job satisfaction trends during nurses' early career", [Cited June 5, 2008], available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.gov/pmc/articles/ PMC2435528 (accessed January 14, 2012).
- D. G De Milt, J. J. Fitzpatrick, & R. Mcnulty, "Nurse practitioners' job satisfaction and intent to leave current positions, the nursing profession, and the nurse practitioner role as a direct care provider", Journal of the American Academy of nurse Practitioners, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 42-50, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2010.00570.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2010.00570.x
- Korean Nurses Association, "Job scope and development of standard plan of advanced practice nurses", [Cited January 5, 2012], The Korean Nurses Association News, p. 3.
- E. R. Lee, M. K. Kwak, E. J. Kim, I. G. Kwon, & M. S. Hwang, "Analysis of Korean oncology advanced practice nurses in clinical workplace-Using the DACUM method", Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 68-79, 2010.
- H. S. Kim, S. Y. You, M. J. Kim, & C. S. Park, "Direct care stress and job satisfaction in home care nurses", Journal of Korean Women Health Nursing, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 261-265, 2004.
- H. Lu, A. E. While, & K. L. Barriball, "Job satisfaction among nurses: a literature review", International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 211-27, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2004.09.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2004.09.003
- M. J. Goolsby, "2009 AANP membership survey", Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, Vol. 2, No. 11, pp. 11, pp. 618-622, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2009.00456.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2009.00456.x
- J. G. Mary, "2004 AANP National nurse practitioner sample survey", Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, Vol. 17, No. 9, pp. 337-341, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2005.00060.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2005.00060.x
- S. R. Shin & P. J. Oh, "A study on the projected need for geriatric APNs", Korean Gerontological Nursing Society, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp., 218-227, 2003.
- P. J. Oh & S. H. Whang, "A study on the projected workforce of occupational health nurse-specialist in Korea", Korean Journal of Occupational health Nursing, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 59-70, 2003.
- I. O. Kim & P. J. Oh, "Projected workforce of certified emergency nurses in Korea", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 542-550, 2003.
- National Emergency Medical Center, "2011 emergency medical evaluation guidance", [Cited August 1, 2011], available from http://www.nemc.or.kr/board/board_view.jsp (accessed Febuary 3, 2012).
- B. Coomber & K. L. Barriball, "Impact of job satisfaction components on intent to leave and turnover for hospital-based nurses: a review of the research literature", International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 297-314, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2006.02.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2006.02.004
- F. El-Jardali, H. Dimass, N. Dumit, D. Jamal, & G. Mouro, "A national cross-sectional study on nurses' intent to leave and job satisfaction in Lebanon: implications for policy and practice", [Cited March 12, 2009], available from http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6955/8/3 (accessed January 13, 2012).
- G. A. Zangaro & K. L. Soeken, "A meta-analysis of studies of nurses' job satisfaction", Research in Nursing & Health, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 445-458, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nur.20202 https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.20202
- Professional Job Perception and Its Related Factors among Medical Recorders engaged in General Hospitals vol.14, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.229
- A Comparison of Empowerment, Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment between Advanced Practice Nurses and Registered Nurses of Hospitals vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.03.354