- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The relationships of rough & tumble play and children's social language use
유아의 사회적언어 사용과 거친 신체놀이의 관계
- Kang, Young-Sik (Dept. of Early Childhood Education, Chung-Nam University) ;
- Ma, Ji-Sun (Dept. of Early Childhood Education, Wonkwang Health Science University)
- Received : 2013.08.19
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
This study was designed to examine the relationships between rough and tumble play and children's social language use. The subjects were 90 children in a nursery school in N city. The data was analyzed using the Pearson correlation and stepwise regression. The results were as follows. First, there was a significant positive relationship between rough and tumble play, and the children's social language use. Second, the children's social language use' sub valuables had an effect on rough and tumble play. In particular, 'demand of action' has negative effects on the 'pull and push', and 'catch'. Furthermore, 'rejection' has negative effects on 'collapse' and 'rush'. This suggests that a rough and tumble play program can be developed to enhance the children's social language use.
Rough and tumble play;Social language use
- J. S. Lee, Rough and Tumble Play in preschool children, The journal of academia-industrial, 22. 95-106. 2002.
- Johnson, J. E., Christie, J. F., & Yawky, T. D., Play and early childhood development. Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman, 1999..
- Pellegrini, A. D., Elementary school children's rough-and-tumble play. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 4, 245-260, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0885-2006(89)80006-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-2006(89)80006-7
- Humphrey, A. P., & Smith, P. K., Rough and Tumble, Friendship, and Dominance in Schoolchildren: Evidence for Continuity and change with age. Child Development, 58, 201-212, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1130302 https://doi.org/10.2307/1130302
- H. S. Kim, Relationship of Rough and Tumble Play to Social in Preschoolers. Major in Early childhood Education, Graduate school of Education, Gyeongin National University of Education, 2011.
- Coie, J. D., & Kupersmith, J. B., A Behavioral analysis of emerging social status in boys and girls groups. Child Development, 54, 1400-1400, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1129803 https://doi.org/10.2307/1129803
- Pellegrini, A. D., Elementary-school children's rough-and-tumble play and social competence. Developmental Psychology, 24(6), 802-806, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0012-1622.214.171.1242 https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16126.96.36.1992
- J. Y. Lee, The Relationship between Boy's and Girl's Rough and Tumble Play and Peer Competence. Major in Early childhood Education of Duksung Women's University, 2007.
- S. Y. Jeong, A Comparison between Father Mother Perceptions of Young Children's Rough and Tumble. Major in Early childhood Education Graduate School of Education Pusan National University, 2011.
- Y. H. Koh & J. A. Ohm, An Investigation into the Aspects and Factors At Work in Children's rough and tumble play, Korean journal of child studies, 31(4). 75-90, 2010.
- DiPietro, J. A., Rough and Tumble Play. A function of gender. Developmental Psychology, 17(1), 50-58, 1981. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0012-16188.8.131.52 https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16184.108.40.206
- Smith, P. K. & Boulton, M., Rough-and-tumble play, aggressive and dominance: Perception and behavior in children encounters, Human Development, 33, 271-282, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000276524 https://doi.org/10.1159/000276524
- J. S. Hur, Children's Peer Competence and Social Language According to Peer Status. Major in Early childhood Education. Graduate School of Education of Sungshin Women's University, 2007.
- G. S. Park, A Study on popular young children's social competence language. Major in Early childhood Education, Department of Education Graduate school of Education, Chung-Ang University, 2001.
- Pellegrini, A., A Speech Analysis of Preschooler's Dyadic Interaction, Child Study Journal, 12(3), 205-217, 1982.
- H. Y. Shin & Y. A. Kim, Aspects of Children's Rough and Tumble Play during the Outdoor Play and Effects of Center and Social Competence, Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 16(5). 945-955, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2007.16.5.945 https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2007.16.5.945
- H. Y. Wang, The Relationship between Rough and Tumble Play and Social Power of Children. Department of Physical Education Graduate school Pusan University, 2012.
- Pellegrini, A. D., A longitudinal study children's rough-and-tumble play. Early Education and Development, 2(3), 205-213, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1207/s15566935eed0203_3 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15566935eed0203_3