- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Estimation on Elastic Properties of SiC Ceramic Honeycomb Substrate
SiC 세라믹 하니컴 담체의 탄성 물성치 평가
- Cho, Seok-Swoo (Department of Vehicle Engineering, Kangwon National University)
- 조석수 (강원대학교 자동차공학과)
- Received : 2013.11.04
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
Automotive three-way catalyst substrate has a cordierite ceramic honeycomb structure. The substrate in the high engine speed range doesn't satisfy the design fatigue life due to the low mechanical properties of cordierite ceramic. SiC ceramic has higher mechanical properties than cordierite ceramic. If the automotive three-way catalyst substrate is made from the SiC ceramic honeycomb structure, the substrate can be prevented from premature failure. In this study, the mechanical properties of SiC ceramic honeycomb substrate were estimated by FEA. The FEA results indicated that the MOR and elastic modulus for the SiC ceramic honeycomb substrate was much higher than those for the cordierite ceramic honeycomb substrate.
Cordierite Ceramic;Honeycomb Structure;MOR(Modulus of rupture);SiC Ceramic;Three-way Catalyst Substrate
- Kwang Jae Lee, 25% of Passenger Vehicles Failed to Pass Exhaust Gas Inspection in 2012, The Environmental Industry Weekly, 2007, Available From: http://envinews.co.kr/Article.do?seq=3, c2010[cited 2010 Oct.20].
- D. W. Lee and S. S. Cho, "Premature Failure Prevention Design of Three-way Catalyst Substrate using DOE", Journal of the KSPE, Vol.27, No.7, pp. 101-108, 2011.
- Matweb, Silicon Carbide(Alpha SiC), MatWeb.com, 2010, Available from: http://www.matweb.com/search /Data Sheet.aspx?MatGUID=dd2598e783ba4457845586 b58c8ea9fb, c2010[cited 2010 Oct.20].
- Torquato, S., Gibiansky, L. V., Silva, M. J. and Gibson, L. J., "Effective Mechanical and Transport Properties of Cellular Solids", Int. J. Mech. Sci., Vol. 40, No.1, pp. 71-82, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7403(97)00031-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7403(97)00031-3
- S. H. Baek, and S. S. Cho, "An Effective Approach of equivalent Elastic Method for Three-Dimensional Finite Element Analysis of Ceramic Honeycomb Substrates", Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 223-233, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2011.35.3.223 https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2011.35.3.223
- O'Connor, D. J., "A Comparison of Test Method for Shear Properties of the Cores of Sandwich Constructions", Journal of Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 241-246, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1520/JTE11121J https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE11121J
- Nordstrand, T. M. and Carlsson, L. A., "Evaluation of Transverse Shear Stiffness of Structural Core Sandwich Plates", Composite Structures, Vol. 37, pp. 145-153, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(97)80007-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(97)80007-4
- Japanese Standards Association, Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) Z2201 : Test pieces for Tensile Test for Metallic Materials, pp. 19-25, Tokyo, 1980.
- ANSYS inc., ANSYS Workbench : Release 11.0 Documentations, Canonsburg, PA, USA, 2008.
- Gulati, S. T., Zak, M. E., Jones, L. F., Rieck, J. S., Russ, M. and Brady, M. J., "Thermal Shock Resistance of Standard and Thin Wall Ceramic Catalysts", SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0273, 1999.
- S. R. Lee and S. S. Cho, "A Estimation of Thermal Fatigue Performance in Three-way Catalyst", Journal of the KAICS, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 13-19, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.1.13 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.1.13