- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Heat Transfer and Pressure Drop Characteristics of Cross-Flow Plastic Air Heater for a Cooling Tower
냉각탑용 직교류형 플라스틱 공기가열기의 열전달 및 압력손실
- Kim, Nae-Hyun (Division of Mechanical System Engineering, Incheon National University)
- 김내현 (인천대학교 기계시스템공학부)
- Received : 2013.08.14
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
In this study, experiments were performed on air heater samples with three different shapes (chevron, wave and dimple type) to reduce the plumes from cooling towers. The tests were conducted for a range of frontal air velocities of 1~3 m/s and water flow rate 0.19~0.33 kg/s. The results showed that the heat transfer rate increased with increasing air velocity or water flow rate. The air-side pressure drop also increased with increasing air velocity. At the same frontal air velocity, the highest heat transfer rate was obtained for the chevron sample (1.5~1.7 times compared to that of the plate sample), followed by the dimple, wave and plate samples. The heat transfer rate per unit power consumption was also 15% larger than that of the dimple sample. On the other hand, there was no noticeable difference between the other samples.
Heat Transfer;Pressure drop;Cooling Tower;Air Heater
Grant : 냉각탑 백연 저감용 판형 플라스틱 공기가열기 개발
- S. M. Zivi and B. B. Brand, An Analysis of the Cross-flow Cooling Tower, Refrigeration Engineering, Vol. 64, pp. 31-34 and 90-92, 1956.
- D. R. Baker and H. A. Shryock, A Comprehensive Approach to the Analysis of Cooling Tower Performance, J. Heat Transfer, Vol. 83, pp. 339-349, 1961. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3682276
- J. C. Campbell, The Prevention of Fog from Cooling Towers, Annual Meeting of the Coolìng Tower Institute, Houston, 1976.
- C. K. Choi., Y. K. Choi., and H. Y. So., A Numerical Study on the Performance Analysis of the Plume Abatement NWD Cooling Tower, Korean J. Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering, Vol. 11. pp. 1049-1058. 2001.
- Clearflow Application, Users Manual, Marley Cooling Technologies Inc, 2005.
- A. Cooper and J. D. Usher, Plate Heat Exchangers, in Heat Exchanger Design Handbook, Hemisphere Publisher, New York, Chap. 3.7, 1983.
- M. Ciafalo, J. Stasiek and M. W. Collins, Investigation of Flow and Heat Transfer in Corrugated Passages, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 39, pp. 165-192. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(96)85014-9
- B. Sunden, Flow and Heat Transfer Mechanisms in Plate-Frame Heat Exchangers, in Heat Transfer Enhancement of Heat Exchangers, Kluwer Academic Pub., pp. 185-206, 1999.
- K. H. Lee, W. Y. Choi, J. H. Lee and H. Y. So, Comparison of performance of cooling water with various shape of packings, Korean J. Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering, Vol. 10, pp. 358-367, 1998.
- E. J. Lee, J. S. Kim and N. H. Kim, Performance comparison of heat transfer plates for cooling tower air heater through numerical analysis, J. Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 5676-5683, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5676 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5676
- S. Y. Yoo, M. H. Chung, K. H. Kim and J. M. Lee, An Experimental Study on the Performance of Plastic Plate Heat Exchanger, Korean J. Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering, Vol. 17, pp. 117-124, 2005.
- S. Y. Yoo, M. H. Chung and Y. M. Lee, A Study on the Factors Affecting the Performance of Plastic Plate Heat Exchanger, Korean J. Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering, Vol. 17, pp. 839-848, 2005.
- M. H. Chung, S. Y. Yoo, K. H. Han and H. I. Yoon, A Numerical Study on the Flow and Heat Transfer Characteristics of Plastic Plate Heat Exchanger, Proceedings of the Summer Annual Conference, SAREK, pp. 1366-1371, 2008.
- M. Kim, J.-H. Lee, S. R. Park, H. S. Ra, J. H. Jeong and H. Lim, Experimental Investigation of an Cross-Flow Air-Cooled Heat Exchanger with Single-Wave and Double-Wave Plates, Korean J. Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering, Vol. 21, pp. 347-354,
- H. J. Ahn, S. H. Lee, N. Hur, H. J. Park and H. S. Ryu, 2010, A Numerical Simulation of Flow and Heat Transfer in a Dimpled-Type Plate Heat Exchanger, Korean J. Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering, Vol. 22, pp. 149-155, 2009.
- R. L. Webb and N. H. Kim, 2005, Principles of Enhanced Heat Transfer, Taylor and Francis Pub.
- ASHRAE Standard 41.1, Standard Method for Temperature Measurement, ASHRAE, 1986.
- ASHRAE Standard 41.2, Standard Method for Laboratory Air-Flow Measurement, ASHRAE, 1987.
- ASHRAE Standard 41.5, Standard Measurement Guide, Engineering Analysis of Experimental Data, 1975.