- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Development of the Risk Index to Inspect the Specific Buildings against Flood
수재에 대한 특수건물 진단을 위한 위험도지수 개발
Lee, Youngkyu;Lee, Chuljoo;Ahn, Seungil
- Received : 2013.09.16
- Accepted : 2013.10.24
- Published : 2013.12.31
The flood risk index (FRI) is developed to inspect the safety against flooding for the specific buildings, approximately 34,000 buildings, distributed over South Korea. FRI, defined as percentage index of potential flood damage to the possible maximum damage, is evaluated by the risk triangle approach. The flood management map, that includes the flood zones of riverine inundation, storm surge and the flood footprints, is constructed in the study. The exposure and vulnerability for 723 specific buildings is investigated. The vulnerability is assessed by the mean damage ratio curve with respect to the floor water depth and the building property such as the defensive height against flood, first floor height, building structure, wall, interior cost ratio, position of electric transformer vault, and drainage pump. Comparing FRI with the risk zones for the wind and flood induced loss coverage doesn't show a explicit correlation. Researching FRI with respect to Sido, Korean province, shows that many of the specific buildings located in Seoul and Jeonbuk is distributed lower than the flood level. Considering FRI with the inundation depth doesn't show an intensive correlation. Comparing the building storey to FRI shows that the ranges of FRI is getting narrow as the storey increases.
Specific Building;Flood;Flood Map;Risk Index
- Chun, J.Y., Lee, K.H. Kim, J.M., and Kim, D.S. (2008) Inundation Analysis on Coastal Zone around Masan Bay by Typhoon Maemi (No.0314), Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 8-17.
- Crichton, David (1999) The Risk Triangle, in Ingleton, J. (ed.), Natural Disaster management, Tudor Rose, London, pp. 102-103.
- Delaunay, B. (1934). Sur la sphere vide, Izvestia Akademii Nauk SSSR, Otdelenie Matematicheskikh i Estestvennykh Nauk, 7, pp. 793-800.
- DRCMA (2011) Report for Riverine Master Plan of Geumgang Water Body, Daejeon Regional Construction Management Administration.
- FEMA (2005) Guidelines and Specification for Flood Hazard Mapping Partner, Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- HRFCO (2012) Construction of Flood Inundation Map over Han-River Basin, Han River Flood Control Office, Korean Ed.
- KAB (2012) Building Construction Costs, Korea Appraisal Board, Korean Ed.
- KFPA (2009) Fire Statistical Analysis for the Specific Building 2008, Korean Fire Protection Association
- KFPA (2010) Fire Statistical Analysis for the Specific Building 2009, Korean Fire Protection Association
- KFPA (2011) Fire Statistical Analysis for the Specific Building 2010, Korean Fire Protection Association
- KFPA (2012) Fire Statistical Analysis for the Specific Building 2011, Korean Fire Protection Association
- KFPA (2013). Fire Statistical Analysis for the Specific Building 2012, Korean Fire Protection Association
- KHOA (2012) Construction of Coastal Flood Map for 30 Coasts including Southern Sea, Korea Hydrographic and Oceanographic Administration, Korean Ed.
- KIDI (2013) Fire Insurance Rates, Korea Insurance Development Institute, Korean Ed.
- Kim, C.-K. (2003) Masan and Namhaedo, Magazine of Korea Water Resource Association, Vol. 36, No. 6, pp. 60-65, Korean Ed.
- Kim, D.S., Kim, J.M. Kim, K.H., and Lee, S.D. (2007) Inundation Analysis Considering Water Waves and Storm Surge in the Coastal Zone, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 35-41, Korean Ed.
- Kim, G.H., Kim, C.M. Kim, S.G., and Hwang, K.S. (2005) The Investigation and Analysis of Field Condition on Flood Projection Equipment of Transformer Vault in Flood Area, Journal of the Korean Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 85-90, Korean Ed.
- Lee, Y.K., Lee, C.J., and Ahn, S.I. (2013) Inspection of the Specific Buildings using the Wind-Induced Disaster Risk Index, Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 9-16, Korean Ed. https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2013.13.5.009
- Masan (2004) Research and Mitigations of Surge Damage Induced by Typhoon MAEMI, Masan City, Korean Ed.
- MLIT (2000) Manual for Research of Water Control Economy, Ministry of Land Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, Japanese Ed.
- MOLIT (2004) A Study on the Economic Analysis in Flood Control Projects: Multi-Dimensional Flood Damage Analysis, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Tourism, Korean Ed.
- MOLIT (2010) Development of Storm Surge and Tsunami Prediction System and Estimation of Design Water Level for Major Ports in Korea, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Tourism, Korean Ed.
- Unanwa, C.O., J.R. McDonald, K.C. Mehta, D.A. Smith (2000) The Development of Wind Damage Bands for Buildings, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol. 84, pp.119-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(99)00047-1
- USACE (2008) Final Economic Reevaluation Report. American River Watershed Project, California. Folsom Dam Modification and Folsom Dam Raise Projects. Appendix D - Economics. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.