- Volume 34 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Distribution of Aerosol Concentration during the Asian Dust Period over Busan Area, Korea in Spring 2009
2009년 봄철 부산지역 황사 기간 중 에어로솔 농도 분포
- Jung, Woon-Seon (Department of Environmental Atmospheric Sciences, Pukyong National University) ;
- Park, Sung-Hwa (Interdisciplinary Program of Earth Environmental Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Lee, Dong-In (Department of Environmental Atmospheric Sciences, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kang, Deok-Du (Interdisciplinary Program of Earth Environmental Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Dong-Chul (Universities Space Research Association)
- Received : 2013.09.23
- Accepted : 2013.12.09
- Published : 2013.12.31
This study investigates the distribution of suspended particulates during the Asian dust period in Busan, Korea in the spring of 2009. Weather map and automatic weather system (AWS) data were used to analyze the synoptic weather conditions during the period. Particulate matter 10, laser particle counter data, satellite images and a backward trajectories model were used to analyze the aerosol particles distribution and their origins. In Case 1 (20 February 2009), when the
- Bae, G.N., Kim, M.C., Lim, D.Y., Moon, K.C., and Baik, N.J., 2003, Characteristics of urban aerosol number size distribution in Seoul during the winter season of 2001. Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 19, 167-177. (in Korean)
- Choi, H., Choi, J., Kim, J.W., and Sato, J., 1999, Numerical simulation on mountain and sea breeze effects on variations of total suspended particulate concentrations during a yellow sand event. Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society, 35, 30-37.
- Chun, Y., Cho, K.S., Kim, Y.H., and Lee, J.K., 2003, The features of Asian dust events originated in Keoeolchin sandy land. Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society, 39, 251-263. (in Korean)
- Chung, K.Y. and Park, S.U., 1995, Characteristic synoptic features associated with the transport of yellow sand to Korea. Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society, 31, 45-63. (in Korean)
- Chung, Y.S., Kim, H.S., Park, K.H., Jugder, D., and Tao, G., 2004, Dust-storm observations in China, Mongolia and Korea from March to May 2003. Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society, 40, 241-257.
- Dorsey, J.R., Nemitz, E., Gallagher, M.W., Fowler, D., Williams, P.I., Bower, K.N., and Beswick, K.M., 2002, Direct measurements and parameterization of aerosol flux, concentration and emission velocity above a city. Atmospheric Environment, 36, 791-800. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(01)00526-X
- El-Metwally, M. and Alfaro, S.C., 2013, Correlation between meteorological conditions and aerosol characteristics at an east Mediterranean coastal site. Atmospheric Research, 132-133, 76-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosres.2013.05.006
- Jeong, G.Y., Kim, J.Y., Seo, J., Kim, G.M., Jin, H.C., and Chun, Y., 2013, Long-range transport of giant particles in Asian dust identified by physical, mineralogical, and meteorological analysis. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 13, 21041-21077.
- Jhun, J.G., Yeh, S.W., Kwak, Y.M., and Chung, Y.S., 2000, Characteristics of yellow sand observed in South Korea in April 1998 and pattern of long-range transport. Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society, 36, 405-416. (in Korean)
- Jhun, J.G., Yeh, S.W., Kwon, M.H., and Chung, Y.S., 1999, Classification of atmospheric circulation patterns associated with long-range transport of yellow sands. Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society, 35, 575-586. (in Korean)
- Jung, C.H., Chun, Y., and Choi, B.C., 2003, Characteristics of aerosol size distribution from OPC measurement in Seoul, 2001. Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 19, 515-528. (in Korea)
- Kang, D.H., 2010, Dynamic analysis for the development and dissipation of yellow-sand in Korea. Pukyong National University, Busan, Korea, 79 p. (in Korean)
- Kang, D.H., Kim, J., Kim, K.-E., and Lim, B.S., 2012, Aerosol size distributions and optical properties during severe Asian dust episodes measured over South Korea in spring of 2009-2010. Atmosphere, Korean Meteorological Society, 22, 369-381. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.14191/Atmos.2012.22.3.367
- Kang, M.Y., 2003, On the aerosol concentration fluctuation using wind field by a Doppler radar in inland area, Pukyong National University, Busan, Korea, 56 p. (in Korean)
- Kim, J. and Choi, B.C., 2002, Aerosol size distribution and their regional characteristics over Korea. Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society, 38, 95-104. (in Korean)
- Kim, M.S., Lee, D.I., and You, C.H., 2001, The physiochemical characteristics of aerosol in urban area during snowfall. Journal of the Korean Environmental Sciences Society, 10, 201-208. (in Korean)
- Kim, M.Y., Cho, S.J., Kim, K.R., and Lee, M.H., 2003, The behaviour of dust concentrations during sand storm in Seoul area. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 24, 315-324. (in Korean)
- Kim, S. and Lee, S, 2013, The analysis of the weather characteristics by source region of the Asian dust observed in South Korea. Journal of the Korean Geographical Society, 48, 167-183. (in Korean)
- Kim, Y.K., Song, S.K., and Gang, J.E., 2004, Characteristics of concentration variations and synoptic conditions by the lasting time of Asian dust. Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 20, 465-481. (in Korean)
- Laurent, B., Marticorena, B., Bergametti, G., and Mei, F., 2006, Modeling mineral dust emissions from Chinese and Mongolian deserts. Global and Planetary Change, 52, 121-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloplacha.2006.02.012
- Lee, D.I., 1989, Studies on the atmospheric aerosol particles in relation to the wind systems. Hokkaido university, Sapporo, Japan, 138 p.
- Lee, D.I., Kang, M.Y., Seo, K.J., You, C.H., Park, S.H., Kim, P.K., and Park, N.S., 2008, The fluctuation of aerosol number concentration by wind field variation during snowfall at the southwestern coastal area. Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 17, 699-709. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2008.17.6.699
- Lee, Y.G. and Cho, C.H., 2007, Characteristics of aerosol size distribution for a severe Asian dust event observed at Anmyeon, Korea in april 2006. Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society, 43, 87-96.
- Moon, Y.S., Lim, Y.K., and Lee, K., 2011, An estimation of concentration of Asian dust (PM10) using WRFSMOKE- CMAQ (Madrid) during springtime in the Korean peninsula, Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 32, 276-293. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2011.32.3.276
- Park, S.H., Jang, S.M., Lee, D.I., Jung, W.S., Jeong, J.H., Jung, S.A., Jung, C.H., Kim. K, and Kim, K.E., 2012, The variation of aerosol number concentrations in relation with 3D wind components in the Ieodo ocean research station. Atmosphere. Korean Meteorological Society, 22, 97-107. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.14191/Atmos.2012.22.1.097
- Park, S.H., Jang, S.M., Jung, W.S., Jeong, J.H., and Lee, D.I., 2012, The fluctuation of marine aerosol number concentrations related with vertical winds. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 33, 259-268. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2012.33.3.259
- Park, S.H., Lee, D.I., Seo, K.J., You, C.H., Jang, M., Kang, M.Y., Jang, S.M., Kim, D.C., Choi, C.S., and Lee, B.G., 2009, The fluctuations of aerosol number concentration in the Ieodo ocean research station. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 18, 721-733. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2009.18.7.721
- Seinfeld, J.H. and Pandis, S.N., 1998, Atmospheric chemistry and physics-From air pollution to climate change. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, USA, 1326 p.
- Seo, K.J., 2010, Variation of atmospheric pollutants concentration by raindrop size distribution in southwestern area, Korea. Pukyong National University, Busan, Korea, 135 p.
- Shin, S.S., Yoon, S.C., and Nam, J.C., 2004, Analysis of chemical components of aerosols for dust and non-dust cases during 1993-2002. Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society, 40, 345-359.
- Weimer, S., Mohr, C., Richter, R., Keller, J., Mohr, M., Prevot, A.S.H., and Baltensperger, U., 2009, Mobile measurements of aerosol number and volume size distributions in an Alpine valley: Influence of traffic versus wood burning. Atmospheric Environment, 43, 624-630. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.10.034
- Yan, F., Hu, H., and Yu, T., 2004, Analysis of particulate mass concentration, aerosol number concentration and visibility in Beijing. Particuology, 2, 25-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1672-2515(07)60016-5
- Yoon, S.C. and Park, K.S., 1991, Isentropic analysis for the long range trajectories of yellow sands. Journal of Korea Air Pollution Research Association, 7, 89-95. (in Korean)
- Yoon, Y.H., 1990, On the yellow sand transported to the Korean peninsula. Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society, 26, 111-120. (in Korean)
- Yu, X., Zhu, B., Yin, Y., Yang, J., Li, Y., and Bu, X., 2011, A comparative analysis of aerosol properties in dust and haze-fog days in a Chinese urban region. Atmospheric Research, 99, 241-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosres.2010.10.015