- Volume 32 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Soil Salinity on Growth, Yield and Nutrients Uptake of Whole Crop Barley in Newly Reclaimed Land
신간척지에서 토양 염농도가 청보리 생육, 수량 및 양분 흡수에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Sang-Bok ;
- Cho, Kwang-Min ;
- Shin, Pyung ;
- Yang, Chang-Hyu ;
- Back, Nam-Hyun ;
- Lee, Kyeong-Bo ;
- Baek, Seung-Hwa ;
- Chung, Doug-Young
- Received : 2013.10.20
- Accepted : 2013.12.12
- Published : 2013.12.31
BACKGROUND: Newly reclaimed land has poor soil environment for crop growth since it is high in salt concentration but low in organic content compared with ordinary soil. It is known that whole-crop-barley can grow better in the soil of relatively high salt concentration than other crops but, the growth is poor at the concentration if higher than certain amount and it is a difficulty to secure productivity. Hence, the level of soil salt concentration suitable for the production of bulky feed in newly reclaimed land has been investigated. METHODS AND RESULTS: At Saemanguem reclaimed land, the land for the soil salt concentration electrical conductivity (EC) 0.8, 3.1, 6.5, 11.0 dS/m was selected; and chemical fertilizer
Soil salinity;reclaimed land;whole-crop-barley
- Allison, L.E., Bernstein, L., Bower,C.A., Brown, J.W., Fireman, M.J., Hatcher, T., Hayward, H.E. Pearson, G.A., Reeve, R.C. Richard, L.A., Wilcox, L.A., 1969, Diagnosis and improvement of saline and alkali soil, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washit, Agriculture handbook No.60, pp. 55-68.
- Back, N.H., Choi, W.Y. Ko, J.C., Park, H.K., Nam, J.K., Park, K.G., Kim, S.S., Kim, B.K., Kim, C.K., 2006. Optimum seeding rate in different to soil salinity for broadcasting on the rice flooded paddy surface at south-western reclaimed saline land of korea, Korean J. Crop Sci. 51(S), 47-51.
- Back, N.H., Kim, T.K., Yang, C.H., Kim, S., Nam, J.K., Lee, S.B., Choi, W.Y., Kim, S.J., Lee, K.B., 2011. The growth and yield of winter fodder crops by soil salinities at saemangeum reclaimed land in Korea, Korean. J. Intl. Agri. 23(4), 410-414.
- Back, N.H., Ko, J.C., Nam, J.K., Park, H.K., Kim, S.S., Kim, C.K., 2007. Optimum water management practice direct seeding on paddy surface of saline in soil reclaimed tidelands, Korean J. Crop Sci. 51(2), 204-207.
- Bower, C.A., Turk, L.M., 1946. Calcium and magnesium deficiencies in alkali soils, Amer. soc. Agron. Jour. 38, 723-727. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1946.00021962003800080008x
- Charest, C., Phan C.T., 1990. Cold acclimation of wheat (Triticum aestivum): Properties of enzymes involved in proline metabolism, Physiol. Plant 80, 159-168. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3054.1990.tb04391.x
- Choi, W.Y., Lee, K.S., Ko, J.C., Moon, S.H., Kim, C.K., 2005. Optimum drainage time for rice quality in tidal reclaimed area, Korean J. Crop Sci. 50(S), 85-87.
- Choi, W.Y., Lee, K.S., Ko, JC., Park, H.K., Kim, S.S., Kim, B.K. Kim, C.K., 2004. Nitrogen fertillizer management for improving rice quality under different salinity conditions in tidal reclaimed area, Korean J. Crop Sci. 49(3), 194-198.
- Choi, Y.C., Kim, Y.M., Park, J.H., 2002. Effect of salt treatment on yield physiological characteristics of flag leaf at heading stage in winter barley, Korean J. Crop Sci. 47(6), 409-412.
- Choi, Y.C., Park, J.H., 1997. Physiological response of barley to water stress and salt stress at seedling stage, Korean J. Crop Sci. 42(6), 693-698.
- Choi, Y.C., Park, J.H., Kwon, Y.W., 1997. Physiological response of barley to salt stress at reproductive stage, Korean J. Crop Sci. 42(6), 687-692.
- Heimaan, H., Ratner, R. 1961. The influence of potassium on the uptake of sodium by plants under saline conditions. Bull. Res. Counc. of Israel. 10A, pp. 55-62.
- Kang, J.G., Lee, K.D., Lee, J.H., Jeong, J.H., Gil, G.H., Ryu, J.H., Lim, S.H., Hwang, S.W., Kim. S.J., 2010. Resalinization Control of Saline Soil in Reclaimed Upland, J. Soil Sci. Fert.5, 208-209.
- Lee, G.B., Hwang, S.U., Lee, S.H., 2012. Research and development plan for multifactorial utilization of reclaimed land, Soci. Agri. Res. Rec. Lands 10, 18-28.
- Lee, S.Y., Kim, C.S., 1995. Cellular structural change of barley seedlings on different salt concentration under Hydroponic culture, Korean J. Crop Sci. 40(4), 481-486.
- Lee, S. Y. Kim, C. S. Cho, J. W. and Kang, Y. G., 1996. Physiological response of barley seedlings to salt stress, Korean J. Crop Sci. 41, 665-671.
- Lutts, S. Kinet J.M., Bouharmont, J., 1996. NaCl-induced senescence in leaves of rice(Oryza sativar L.) cultivars differing in salinity resistance, Annal. Bot. 78, 389-398. https://doi.org/10.1006/anbo.1996.0134
- McMichael, B.L. and Eleore, G.D., 1997. Proline accumulation in water stressed cotten leaves. Crop science 17, 905-908.
- NIAST(National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology)., 2000. Analytical methods of soil and plant. NIAST, Rural Development Administration (RDA), Suwon, Korea.
- RDA., 2003. Standard of research and analysis for agriculture science and technology, pp. 271-290, Rural Development Administration (RDA), Suwon, Korea.
- Troll, W., Lindsley, J., 1955. A photometric method for the determination of proline, J. Biol. Chem. 215, 655-660.
- Investigation of Soil Physico-chemical Properties in Saemangeum Reclaimed Tidal Land in Korea vol.49, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2016.49.4.347
- Effects of Liquid Pig Manure Application Level on Growth Characteristics, Yield, and Feed Value of Whole Crop Barley at Reclaimed Tidal Land in Southwestern Korea vol.47, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2014.47.6.579
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science & Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration