- Volume 32 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characteristics Communities Structure of Benthic Macroinvertebrates at Irrigation Ponds, within Paddy Field
논 생태계 내 둠벙의 저서성 대형무척추동물 군집구조 특성
- Choe, Lak-Jung ;
- Han, Min-Su ;
- Kim, Miran ;
- Cho, Kwang-Jin ;
- Kang, Kee-Kyung ;
- Na, Yong-Eun ;
- Kim, Myung-Hyun
- Received : 2013.07.16
- Accepted : 2013.10.26
- Published : 2013.12.31
BACKGROUND: Ecological functions of irrigation ponds were well known fact that important for biodiversity conservation in agricultural ecosystems. However, many irrigation ponds were destructed with changes of agricultural environment. The objective of this study is to appreciate the importance of ecological functions of irrigation pond. Furthermore, it presented to useful information for restorations of irrigation pond from analyses of correlations between benthic macroinvertebrate communities and locational factors of irrigation ponds. METHODS AND RESULTS: Benthic macroinvertebrate sampling was conducted from 2010 to 2012 at 15 study ponds. Comparisons of benthic macroinvertebrates diversity approached species richness and density, and statistical analyses were performed using independent t-test. A total of 131 species / 137,118 individuals of benthic macroinvertebrates were recorded during study period. Dominant taxa of benthic macroinvertebrates included Coleoptera, Hemiptera, and Odonata. Generally, benthic macroinvertebrate diversity in mountain region and existing ponds were showed higher than open field and created ponds, respectively. DCA ordination showed that benthic macroinvertebrate community was most correlated with locational characteristics of irrigation pond, and it correlated with bank type and age of pond. CONCLUSION(S): In conclusions, in order to restore ecological irrigation pond, it is necessary to consider environmental factors such as locational characteristics and bank types.
Agricultural biodiversity;Benthic macroinvertebrates;Irrigation pond;Paddy field ecosystem
- Lee, D.H., Hwang, J.W., Sung, S.H., Yoon, C.S., Cheong, S.W., 2009. A characteristic on community structure of benthic macroinvertebrates of the Shinbulsan wetland, J. Environ. Sci. 18, 561-567. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2009.18.5.561
- Lee, J.C., Koo, B.Y., Yoon, C.S., Lee, D.J., Cheong, S.W., 2011. Seasonal changes on community structures of benthic macroinvertebrates in wetland Upo, J. Eviron. Sci. 20, 261-274. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2011.20.2.261
- McCafferty, W.P., 1983. Aquatic entomology: the fishermen's guide and ecologists' illustrated guide to insects and their relatives, pp. 1-448, Jones an Bartlett, Boston, USA.
- Merritt, R.W., Cummins, K.W., Berg, M.B., 2008. An introduction to the aquatic insects of North America, pp. 1-1158, forth ed., Kendall/Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa, USA.
- Meyer, C.K., Whiles, M.R., 2008. Macroinvertebrate communities in restored and natural Platte River slough wetlands, J. N. Am. Benthol. Soc. 27, 626-639. https://doi.org/10.1899/07-086.1
- Pennak, R.W, 1989. Fresh-water invertebrates of the United states, third ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Ruhi a., Herrmann J., Gascon, S., Sala, Jordi., Geijer, J., Dani, B., 2012. Change in biological traits and community structure of macroinvertebrates through primary succession in a man-made Swedish wetland, Freshwater Science 31, 22-37. https://doi.org/10.1899/11-018.1
- Ruhi, A., Boix, D., Gascon, S., Sala, J., Quintana, X.D., 2013. Nestedness and successional trajectories of macroinvertebrate assemblages in man-made wetlands, Oecologia 171, 545-556. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00442-012-2440-7
- Son, J.K., Kim, N.C., Kim, M.H., Kang, B.H., 2012. Community characteristics of benthic macroinvertebrates according to grouwth environment at rural palustrine wetland, J. Korean Env. Res. Tech. 15, 129-144.
- Thiere, G., Milenkovski, S., Lindgren, P.E., Sahlen, G., Berglund, O., Weisner S.E.B., 2009. Wetland creation in agricultural landscapes: Biodiversity benefits on local and regional scales, Biol. Conserv. 142, 964-973. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2009.01.006
- Vannote, R.L., Minshall, G.W., Cummins, K.W., Sedell, J.R., Cushing, C.E., 1980. The river continuum concept, Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 37, 130-137. https://doi.org/10.1139/f80-017
- Williams P., Whitfield, M., Biggs, J., 2008. How can we make new ponds biodiverse? A case study monitored over 7 years, Hydrobiologia 597, 137-148. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10750-007-9224-9
- Williams, P., Biggs, J., Whitfield, M., Thorne, A., Bryant, S., Fox, G., Nicolet, P., 1999. The pond book: A guide to the management and creation of ponds, pp. 1-111, Ponds Conservation Trust, Oxford, UK.
- Williams, P., Whitfield, M., Biggs, J., Bray, S., Fox, G., Nicolet, P., Sear, D., 2003. Comparative biodiversity of river, streams, ditches and ponds in an agricultural landscape in Southern England, Biol. Conserv. 115, 329-341.
- Yoon, I.B., 1995. Aquatic insects of Korea, Junghaengsa, Seoul, Korea.
- Yoon, I.B., Aw, S.J., Kim, J.I., 1989. Study on the structures of aquatic insect communities at five wetlands in Gyungsan-Namdo, Korea, Korean J. Eviron. Biol. 7, 19-32.
- Bae, Y.J., Jo, S.I., Hoang, D.H., Lee, H.G., Na, K.B., 2004. Biodiversity and community composition of benthic macroinvertebrates from Upo wetland in Korea, Kor. J. Env. Eco. 18, 75-91.
- Fairchild, G.W., Faulds, A.M., Matta, J.F., 2000. Beetle assemblages in ponds: effects of habitat and site age, Freshwater Biol. 44, 523-534. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2427.2000.00601.x
- Hamasaki, K., Yamanaka, T., Tanaka, K., Nakatani, Y., Iwasaki, N., Sprague, D.S., 2009. Relative importance of within-habitat environment, land use and spatial autocorrelations for determining odonate assemblages in rural reservoir ponds in Japan, Ecol. Res. 24, 597-605. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11284-008-0531-z
- Han, M.S., Na, Y.E., Bang, G.S., Kim, M.H., Kang, K.K., Hong, H.K., Lee, J.T., Ko, B.G., 2008. Aquatic invertebrates in paddy ecosystem of Korea, pp. 25-524, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Suwon, Korea.
- Han, M.S., Na, Y.E., Bang, H.S., Kim, M., Kim, M.K., Roh, K.A., Lee, J.T., 2007. The fauna of aquatic invertebrates in paddy field, Korean J. Environ. Agri. 26, 267-273. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2007.26.3.267
- Han, M.S., Nam, H.K., Kang, K.K., Kim, M.R., Na, Y.E., Kim, H.R., Kim, M.H., 2013. Characteristics of benthic invertebrates in organic and conventional paddy field, Korean J. Environ. Agri. 32, 9-15. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2013.32.1.9
- Jeong, S.B., Kim, D.S., Jeon, H.S., Yang, K.S., Kim, W.T., 2010. Species richness of aquatic insects in wetlands along the altitudinal gradient in Jeju, Korea: Test of Rapoport's rule, Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 49, 175-185. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2010.49.3.175
- Jun, Y.C., Kim, N.Y., Kwon, S.J., Han, S.C., Hwang, I.C., Park, J.H., Won, D.H., Byun, M.S., Kong, H.Y., Lee, J.E., Hwang, S.J., 2011. Effects of land use on benthic macroinvertebrate communities: Comparison of two mountain streams in Korea, Ann. Limnol. -Int. J. Lim. 47, S35-S49. https://doi.org/10.1051/limn/2011018
- Kang, H.K., Chung, K., 2010. A comparison of samplers for aquatic macroinvertebrate in rice paddies: Aquatic net, Quadrat and Core, Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 49, 313-324. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2010.49.4.313
- Kawai, T., Tanida, K., 2005. Aquatic insects of Japan:Mannual with keys and illustrations, pp. 1-1342, Tokai University, Kanagawa, Japan.
- Kim, H.A., Choi, J.Y., Kim, S.G., Do Y., Joo, G.J., Kim, D.K., Kim, H.W., 2012. Observation and evaluation of zooplankton community characteristics in the petite ponds (Dumbeong) for irrigation: A case study in Goseong region of South Korea, Korean J. Limnol. 45, 490-498. https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2012.45.4.490
- Kim, J.O., Shin, H.S., Yoo, J.H., Lee, S.H., Jang, K.S., Kim, B.C., 2011. Functional evaluation of small-scale pond at paddy field as a shalter for mudfish during midsummer drainage period, Korean J. Environ. Agri. 30, 37-42. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2011.30.1.37
- Kim, J.O., Shin, H.S., Yoo, J.H., Lee, S.H., Jang, K.S., Kim, B.C., 2011. Physicochemical and biological properties of constructed small-scale ponds for ecological improvement in paddy fields, Korean J. Limnol. 44, 253-263.
- Kim, S.H., Kim, J.H., Kim, J.K., 2011. Classification of small irrigation ponds in western Civilian Control Zone in Korea, J. wetl. res. 13, 275-289.
- Lee, C.Y., Kim, D.G., Choe, L.J., Baek, M.J., Yoon, T.J., Bae, T.J., 2012. Estimation of accumulated degree days required for the development of Cloeon dipterum (Ephemeroptera: Baetidae) in an experimental tub under field conditions, Korean J. Limnol. 45, 123-128.
- Response of carabid beetles to wetland creation in an intensive agricultural landscape vol.84, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2015.07.014
- The influence of water characteristics on the aquatic insect and plant assemblage in small irrigation ponds in Civilian Control Zone, Korea vol.18, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17663/JWR.2016.18.4.331
- Determinations of Shorebirds Diets during Spring Migration Stopovers in Korean Rice Fields vol.35, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2017.35.4.452
- The Development of a Sampling Instrument for Aquatic Organisms in Rice Paddy Fields: Submerged Funnel Traps with Attractants vol.35, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2017.35.4.640
- Regional and Temporal Characteristics of Aquatic Organism Communities in Rice Paddy Fields, using Submerged Funnel Trap vol.36, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2018.36.2.099
Grant : Research Program for Agricultural Science & Technology Development
Supported by : National Academy of Agricultural Science