- Volume 32 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Risk Assessment for Heavy Metals in Soil, Ground Water, Rice Grain nearby Abandoned Mine Areas
국내 폐금속 광산지역에서의 토양, 지하수, 쌀의 중금속 노출에 따른 인체 위해성평가
- Received : 2013.03.12
- Accepted : 2013.07.01
- Published : 2013.12.31
BACKGROUND: The objectives of this study are to investigate the contamination levels of heavy metals in soil, ground water, and agricultural product near the abandoned Boeun and Sanggok mine areas in Korea and to assess the health risk for these local residents exposed to the toxic heavy metals based on analytical data. METHODS AND RESULTS: By the results of human health risk assessment for local residents around Boeun and Sanggok, human exposure to cadmium, copper, arsenic from soil and to lead, cadmium, and arsenic from rice grain were higher in Sanggok, but human exposure to zinc and arsenic from ground water was higher in Boeun. By the results of hazard index (HI) evaluation for arsenic, cadmium, copper, lead, and zinc, HI values in both areas were higher than 1.0. This result indicated that the toxicity hazard through the continuous exposure to lead, cadmium, arsenic from rice, ground water, and soil would be likely to occur to the residents in the areas. Cancer risk assessment for arsenic, risks from the rice were exposed to one to two out of 10,000 people in Boeun and one of 1,000 people in Sanggok. These results showed that the cancer risks of arsenic in both areas were 10~100 times greater than the acceptable cancer risk range of US EPA (
Average daily dose;Ground water;Heavy metals;Health risk assessment;Rice grain;Soil
- Alloway, B.J., 1990. Heavy Metals in Soil, p. 368, Blackie and Son Ltd.
- Bowen, H.J., 1979. Environmental chemistry of the elements. Academic Press, Lodon.
- Gu, J.M., Kim, K.S., Dong, J.I., Park, Y.H., Bae, W.G., Yang, J.W., Yeom, I.T. Yoon, S.P., Lee, J.Y., Lee, J.S., Jang, Y.Y., Jung, J.C., Choi, S.I., Hwang, K.Y., Hwang, J.S., 2001. Soil Environmental Engineering. pp. 148-175, Hyangmunsa, Korea.
- Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS, http://www.epa.gov/ngispgm3/iris)
- Kanata-Pendias, A., Pendias, H., 1984. Trace elements in soils and plants. p. 315, CRC Press, Inc.
- Kelly, M., 1988. Mininig and the freshwater environment. London: Elsevier science Publishers. 9. 231.
- Lee, J.S., Chon, H.T., Kim, K.W., 2005. Human risk assessment of As, Cd, Pb, Cu and Zn in the ababdined metal mine site, Environ Geochem Health. 27, 185-191. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10653-005-0131-6
- Lee, J.S., Chon, H.T., Kim, K.W., 1997. Dispersion and Migration of potentially Toxic elements in the Rock-Soil-Plant System from the Boeun area underlain by Black Shales, Korea, Eco. Environ. Geol. 30(6), 587-601.
- Lee, J.S., Kim, Y.N., Kim, K.H., 2010. Suitability Assessment for Agriculture of Soils Adjacent to Abandoned Mining Area Using Different Human Risk Assessment Models, Korea J. Soil Sci. Fert. 43(5), 674-683.
- Park, Y.H., 1994. Management of Wastes from Inactive or Abandoned Mines, p. 588, Korea Environment Institute.
- Park, Y.H., Kim, M.J., Jung, S.W., Lee, Y.H., Kim, M.J., Jo, J.E., 2003. A Study for Standards of Soil Contamination and Restoration by land-use. Korea Institute of Policy Evaluations.
- Thornton, I., 1983. Applied Environmental Geochemistry, p. 501, Academic Press. London.
- US EPA., 1989. Risk Assessment Guidance for Superfund, Vol. 1, Part A, EPA/540/I-89/002
- US EPA., 1991. Risk Assessment Guidance for Superfund, Vol. 1, Part B, EPA/540/R-92/003.
- US EPA,. 1986. Guideline for the Health Risk Assessment old Chemical mixture, 51 Fedral Regoster 34014.
- US EPA., 1999a. Risk assessment guidance for superfund(RAGS). Volumn I : Human health evaluation manial(HHEM), part B, development of risk-based preliminary remediation goals.
- US EPA., 1999b. Risk assessment guidance for superfund(RAGS). Volumn I : Human health evaluation manial(HHEM), supplemental guidance, Standrad Default Exposure Factors, Interim Guidance.
- Human Risk Assessment of Arsenic and Heavy Metal Contamination and Estimation of Remediation Concentration within Abandoned Metal Mine Area vol.28, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2015.28.4.309
- Microcosm Experiment for Evaluating Efficiency of Chemical Amendments on Remediation of Heavy Metal Contaminated Soil vol.48, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2015.48.2.138
- Monitoring of Cd, Hg, Pb, and As and Risk Assessment for Commercial Medicinal Plants vol.34, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2015.34.4.43
- Spectral Characteristics of Heavy Metal Contaminated Soils in the Vicinity of Boksu Mine vol.29, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2016.29.3.89
- Comparisons of human risk assessment models for heavy metal contamination within abandoned metal mine areas in Korea pp.1573-2983, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10653-018-0108-x